Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 7, 2011   #1
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Default Heidi - semi-determinate or ???

This year, I started Ernie's Plump with seed purchased from Marianne Jones. It's one of the most vigorous plants in my garden - surpassing 8' at this point. However, instead of the large fruit expected fro EP, I'm getting these cute little flattened pear-shaped tomatoes. Disappointed that I had a cross or mixed-up seed, I picked a few and put them on the counter to ripen. It soon occurred to me that they are identical to the fruit from Heidi. I haven't grown all that many tomatoes, but in my experience, Heidi was unique in shape (a kinda skinny pear) and texture (super glossy and firm) and habit (compact, very dense). I didn't think much more about it, but I was perusing the 2011 SSE Yearbook and saw that Marianne lists Heidi and describes it as "sprawling" - or something like that. In Carolyn's book, Heidi is described as "semi-determinate" - which squares with my experience when I've grown it in the past.

So my question: does anyone have knowledge of a big, sprawling, indeterminate Heidi? I'm not convinced that's what I have, but I'd be curious to hear any comments.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2011   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

The one time I grew Heidi, it was also very dense. The plant was more than twice as wide as any of my other plants and stayed under 4' high.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2011   #3
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Heidi this year (and just picked my first one blushing about a half an hour ago!). The plant is 4-5 feet tall, not what I would consider full height since the other definitely-determinate plants it is growing next to are over 6 feet tall. I consider it determinate or semi-determinate because the fruit set sort of all at once and they are all starting to ripen at the same time, it seems.

But I would describe the shape of the fruit as sort of a rectangular box, almost - but a little bigger on the bottom than on the top, I'll give ya that. And many of the fruit seem to have an indentation in the bottom, like if you took the point you might find on an Opalka and pushed it into the fruit!

Anyway, somehow I'm sure I have pure Heidi, and that's what I'm seeing in my garden.
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2011   #4
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

I grew a "heidi" this year....very tall, 6+ feet... small, cherry shaped fruit, so thought it was not true....now I'm going to look at tatiana's!
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2011   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalstonsc View Post
I grew a "heidi" this year....very tall, 6+ feet... small, cherry shaped fruit, so thought it was not true....now I'm going to look at tatiana's!
No, it wouldn't be 6 ft tall and small cherries.

it really is a compact indet, or semi-det and the fruits are not cherries, they're small red plums.

My seed from Heidi Iyok, a former student of mine, who brought the seeds back to me after she flew home to Cameroon for Christmas vacation.

So I don't think you have the correct seeds.
Old August 9, 2011   #6
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
Looked at the pictures on Tatiana's and the fruit shape was similar, but smaller....also the plant was no way compact...so bad seed for sure
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2011   #7
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Chalston - what was your seed source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalstonsc View Post
Carolyn,
Looked at the pictures on Tatiana's and the fruit shape was similar, but smaller....also the plant was no way compact...so bad seed for sure
Old August 9, 2011   #8
mmcd75
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Heidi every year. It is always a huge, sprawling plant that just pumps out the tomatoes. It seemed more indeterminate to me. It seems to do very well here in our summer heat and I had one that actually lasted through a winter, producing the whole time. That same plant also went almost a week with no water because of a break in my irrigation system. I love this variety.
mmcd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2011   #9
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

So it seems like maybe there is another, perhaps indeterminate, Heidi making the rounds. MMCD - what was your seed source?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcd75 View Post
I have grown Heidi every year. It is always a huge, sprawling plant that just pumps out the tomatoes. It seemed more indeterminate to me. It seems to do very well here in our summer heat and I had one that actually lasted through a winter, producing the whole time. That same plant also went almost a week with no water because of a break in my irrigation system. I love this variety.
Old August 9, 2011   #10
mmcd75
Tomatovillian™

The original seed came from Tomato Bob, the more recent seeds have come from the original plant.
mmcd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2011   #11
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Heid is a compact determinate with high production and decent heat tolerance. It is also very easy to cross if bees are active. I have grown and loved it for the last 6 years or so.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2011   #12
dice
Tomatovillian™

One can see height differences in plants of the same cultivar in different
light conditions. A 4' plant in full sun can be 5-6' in a location that only
gets 4-5 hours of sunlight a day. Usually there will be more distance
between leaves if a plant is stretching out in low light.
Old August 10, 2011   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

For many years I grew my tomatoes by sprawling only and many hundreds of plants and varieties each season, so no staking, etc., just too many plants to deal with.

So I can't resonate with those folks who are describing it in terms of height.

Seeds received directly from Heidi herself give me plants that are very compact, maybe two feet high, this by sprawling, and it spreads out to about maybe 3 ft wide.

For me is sets a huge number of fruits, small maybe 4 oz red plum-like ones, has been quite tolerant of foliage diseases and has great taste.

There's a good picture of what it should be in my heirloom tomato book, now out of print but still available from scalpers for up to several hundred dollars, which amuses me to no end.

Once seeds leave my hands, I mean all the new ones, I can't speak to what they might morph into in someone elses hands. And it happens and seeds are sold. For the past few years Tania has found this to be a real problem, and since I've never thrown out one seed I've saved since 1991 I've been able to go back and fetch some of those seeds to help reestablish what's correct for a variety. So I've sent quite a few of those to Tania at her request, and a few others who sell seeds, and she's had pretty good luck at waking up some of those old seeds b/c it can be dicey.

This past Spring I sent a rare nor/rin mutant one to someone who is a professional breeder, the variety is Dourne de Hiver which I got from France in 1992, the seeds were from 1993 and luckily he got it going just fine.