Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 9, 2011   #1
sballtx
Tomatovillian™

Default omg I have two tomatoes growing! my first!

I cannot believe my eyes. This is my first attempt tomato gardening. I have a jetstar hybrid in a self-watering container (not an EB). There are two small green tomatoes emerging...in Houston...in August 100 degree weather (heat index has been around 110 daily and with severe drought conditions). Unbelievable! I was just focusing on keeping this thing alive. I never expected it to set fruit until the weather cooled off. I was told and read numerous times not to expect fruit until fall IF I could keep the plant alive. Needless to say I was feeling a bit daunted and just kept at it out of habit more than anything. I will say that I have had the plant under 40% shade cloth since late June. Do you think that's why?? Now, these tomatoes might taste like crap if they actually ripen at all. I am just impressed that it is fruiting at all right now! I think the humidity has been kept down due to the drought. I don't know.

Stacie
sballtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2011   #2
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Stacie -- Congrats on your little greenies! There are lots of Texans here, so if you run into trouble I'm sure you can get some good advice.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2011   #3
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

Congrats! As many years as I have gardened, I still get a thrill each year when I see the first tomatoes showing up in their little blossom jackets, or squash babies, or tiny beans poking out of the flower...

Enjoy!

If I'm going to water and care for a plant it had better give me food, flowers or shade.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote