Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 6, 2011   #31
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo88 View Post
I had a two blushing Linnie's Oxheart, a Pink Sweet and a Granny Cantrell but the squirrels got them - since I have never tasted any of them, I was especially ★★★★ed off that they tasted them first. I am now picking at first blush and ripening with the bananas on my countertop (although now the squirrels are eating some completely green fruit - my only hope is that there is enough to go around for all the humans and squirrels that like tomatoes).
I had a really hard time last year with the squirrels. They took a bite out of at least half of my tomatoes last year. Really, really upsetting. This year, I tried something different. I bought a shower radio and tuned it to talk radio. I leave it on 24/7 in my garden and so far it has kept them away. Chipmunks too. Doesn't work on birds, but I can live with that. They are too busy eating my blueberries to bother the maters yet.

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2011   #32
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Default Finally!

First ripe Black Krim's yesterday. They were juicy and delicious too!
Coming up...two Brandywine's
Other than that I had ripe cherry's and some Polish Linguisa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FirstBK_2011.jpg (123.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg FirstBW_2011.jpg (130.5 KB, 13 views)
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2011   #33
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

I planted out my container garden a week before Memorial Day, and my in-ground garden a week after Memorial Day. The SWC container Sungolds have yielded 300+ so far (2 plants), Black Cherry has performed well, and container Eva Purple Ball (2 plants in an EarthBox - which are gigantic and loaded) have yielded 7 ripe tomatoes along with 6 BER, and has 21 tomatoes on the vine with lots of new buds. My other containers have been "eh" - harvested the first Cherokee Green today, had 2 small Cherokee Purples (while there were about 20 "babies", only 3 really grew, 1 of them with BER, and around 8 Kimberlys and 8 Moravski Divs. In regular pots, New Big Dwarf, Lime Green Salad, and Sprite look like they'll do very well, but still early in the game, and Riesentraub has lots of foliage and buds but not much in the way of tomatoes yet.

The plants in the ground have barely started to yield; they are much farther behind. I have just gotten one edible tomato (a Black from Tula), but the Tula, Big Raspberry, Red Brandywine, Virginia Sweets, and Aunt Ruby's German Green are now getting many sprigs of flowers, so I'm hopeful. I had to pull out Big Rainbow - bad combination of what I think was Early Blight and Septoria Leaf Spot did it in, and the 3 small tomatoes also had BER. Ugh.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2011   #34
g8shot1
Tomatovillian™

Default Yes

Here in the Gunks, our toms are later than usual. I'm guessing in the two week range. We've been eating a variety of cherry's but just picked our first bigger toms yesterday.
Old August 7, 2011   #35
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Picked my first Brandywine, first two Black Cherry as well as 4 unknown beefsteak (I say unknown as the pot was labeled as Roma but its obviously not) yesterday. I picked 3 of the unknown beefsteaks about 3 days ago. I've had better luck with my peppers. I've had about 4 Hungarian Hot Wax, a couple of dozen Apache, a dozen Thai Hot and 1 Cayenne Thin. My lettuces on the other hand have been going gangbusters for weeks. And my beans - both Purple Stripes (aka Waterloo County Mennonite Pole Beans), Black Valentine and Fagioli Nano Borlotto Lingua Di Fuoco Nano (Dwarf Bean) are kicking out flowers and beans now. And I've had 2 green Zucchinis and a couple of baby gold Zucchinis. (The gold Zucchini aren't looking all that healthy and I might pull the plant if it doesn't start looking better.)

We've already had more rain in August than in all of July, so that might be the reason things have picked up in the last week.

Considering all are in containers and were transplanted(or planted) into the containers between the 5th and 15th of June into the containers, I'm not doing that badly. But I still think the plants are at least 2 weeks behind. They should be bigger and more robust than they are right now.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2011   #36
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Here are some tomatoes I have picked the last 2 days. There are 3 Azoychka (I ate the 4th. It was good. They will be back in my garden next year) Two Granny's Heart tomatoes (largest one weighed 15.5 ounces), 1 Wes (weighed 15 ounces), 2 Paul Robeson (one is in the plastic bag. Birds got it but I will get seed from it. One fake Sophie's Choice. I don't know what it is but it is not Sophie's Choice since the plant is 5' tall. This is from the container plant but the one in my garden is 5' tall also, very healthy and loaded with at least 40 baseball sized tomatoes.
I have also been eating plenty of Stupice, Siberian, Bloody Butdher (poor production on this one), Silver Fir Tree, Sungold F1, Sungold OP (nowhere near as good as Sungold F1), Galinas, Black Cherry, Green Doctors, Sugar Lump, Pomodoro Crovarese and I just picked the first 2 Dr. Carolyn pink.
I am still waiting for my first Hoy to ripen. It will easily be the largest tomato I have ever grown. The picture of the green Hoy was taken 4 days ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Iphone pics 8-8-2011 015.JPG (168.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Iphone pics 8-8-2011 016.JPG (170.0 KB, 11 views)
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote