Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 22, 2017   #1036
imp
Tomatovillian™

103 actual temp today.

Some folks from a church group came by this morning and cut down mt backyard- took those danged Alianthus trees out and all the suckers ( will poison the stumps next Saturday!!) , made 5 trips to the dump with brush and junk. I can stand at the back door and see my back gates now!!! They wouldn't take a penny for all that labor, and even brought their own water.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #1037
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I need to make a more concerted effort to drink more water. I just failed the pinch test. I don't enjoy drinking water, but I do kind of like Life water that has a little flavoring added. I guess that would work?
I gave up soft drinks about 15 years ago and pretty much drink iced tea and enjoy my morning coffee. But now is time to water and mow before the heat assault.
Agree with IMP, you an flavor your water with fruits like lemons, strawberries, oranges. I guess any kind of fruit you enjoy eating. Hope you stop failing that skin test quickly.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #1038
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Just came in from watering the garden. There is a really nice and cool wind out there in spite of the temp being 83 degrees and 74% humidity. It's supposed to be another scorcher out there today.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 23, 2017   #1039
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Skin turgor like a hound dog. Stay thirsty my friends.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #1040
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

We have just come through a week of the type of weather that you Texans talk about and I don't know how you can stand it. The humidity is just awful. I just go to the garden one time a day, harvest what is ripe and then immediately go back indoors.

I think that next week will bring more of the same for us. Yuk.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #1041
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It's awfully hard to manage this type of heat brownrexx, as you have just experienced. It's difficult to explain our weather to people who have not expereinced it. I always tell them "you just have to experience it yourself", lol. Sorry you are suffering, make sure you are going very early am or in the evening when things have cooled down. Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 23, 2017   #1042
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Common sense is often key, however something the world is sorely lacking.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #1043
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

4 inches of rain this am to bust the heatwave. I picked everything that was blushing last evening but I'm afraid even the green ones may split.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #1044
imp
Tomatovillian™

Sorry you are having such wicked weather, brownrexx. Up in north Texas, my humidity rate is much lower than rockporter's is, but the heat just hits you, almost a physical thing at times.

Earlier I had posted that things either get done very early or quite late, or not at all. Not a joke at all. Other tricks and tips get learned fast in hot places, such as using lighter colored water hoses rather than a black hose for water. Or too wear something in the garden that can be wet down , clothing wise, in case you get too hot and knowing where the nearest shade is. I have been known, even as an old lady, to turn the hose on myself to help the cooling process, then go sit in the shade and drink something cool.

Making sure you have and wear a hat that can breathe is important, too. Hold your hat up along with your cell phone and enjoy the relief of water cooling you a bit- stand near a plant that needs it, for double use of the water!!

In our dry heat, you won't be in wet clothes long at all.

For vehicles, shady parking spots are at a premium in the heat and there aren't many. I carry a small soft blanket behind the seat of my PU to lay over the dash, steering wheel and seat if parking out of the shade. Also the black stick shift knob!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #1045
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...ebabb9525.html

It's a record: Temperatures hit 108 degrees in St. Louis

The previous record of 107 degrees was set on July 22, 1901.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #1046
encore
Tomatovillian™

well we are getting a break from all that rain for a few days, hot and muggy today suppose to get a cold front move in tomorrow, BUT the mosquitos!!! can't even try to get close to any plant life, even during the day! I'm sure not going out after dark! lol----tom
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #1047
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Fan was so dirty it wouldn't blow air.
Had to take the whole thing apart and wash it blades and all.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #1048
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

We had 7 inches of rain last night & our county has been declared a disaster area. Wife and I are lucky nothing but our driveway damage although it will be costly. Lots of other people have much worse situations. One 82 year old man is missing.
Old July 23, 2017   #1049
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Mark, that's horrible. I'm glad you and your wife are alright.

Worth, I cleaned the fans so well that I left the front cages off of them. There's a lot more airflow now.

Another typical 100F day here.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #1050
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I guess that I could live in TX if it was just hot but not humid like Imp describes. I have been in Tucson AZ and loved it. It's this horrendous humidity that kills me.

This morning it was 80 degrees and 80% humidity when I woke up. I don't even want to go outside.

We just had a really nice rain shower and got almost an inch of rain which really cooled things off and gave my garden a nice watering but tomorrow the heat and humidity will be right back. I am hoping that we only have one more week of this.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote