Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 14, 2017   #286
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
It's warm here, 82 today. Next week looks warm and wet, more like May weather than April.
Can you plant out now Cole? Sounds like beautiful weather. 82 is perfect! . Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2017   #287
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I put about a dozen dwarfs in the ground yesterday, my first outdoor plants of the year.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2017   #288
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I put about a dozen dwarfs in the ground yesterday, my first outdoor plants of the year.
Awesome, spring has sprung! . Now everyone can be happy . One would think your area would be as good as anywhere to grow maters and other crops. . Since you've traveled around and then settled where you are says a lot ! Are you planting those sunflower plants for sale this year?. I think that's what you had that sold like hotcakes last year. . Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2017   #289
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Winter returns to us. Next week daytime temperature should be about 5 ° C, and the night from zero to minus two ° C. Above 500 m asl a snow fall. I hope will not snow or hail on my garden. It would be bad for apricots and peaches. Tomatoes in the hotbeds would had survive without problems. : D
Vladimír
This is what we've been having for the last week - our normal temperatures for this time of year average max 6C and min minus1. For us this year it's a great relief because winter didn't stop in March or early April, I mean below zero highs and massive snowfalls. Still a lot of snow on the ground, and I doubt it will go very soon. We have three days in the forecast next week, highs of minus 1 C. Then we go back above zero days, some rain, and hopefully melt what is left on the ground.

The young raven couple that I made friends with this winter are nesting close by, they're making those beautiful happy songs.
A few woodpeckers (flickers) have passed through as well - in spring they like to drum on the metal cap over my chimney. It makes an unearthly racket inside the house. Early morning, usually. I guess the other birds can also hear it quite far away.

The first of my tomato seedlings are just ready to pot up, so it's time to get the greenhouse ready and start monitoring temperatures out there.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2017   #290
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
Awesome, spring has sprung! . Now everyone can be happy . One would think your area would be as good as anywhere to grow maters and other crops. . Since you've traveled around and then settled where you are says a lot ! Are you planting those sunflower plants for sale this year?. I think that's what you had that sold like hotcakes last year. . Jimbo
Yes, here are couple flats of them. I just took this pic today:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resized_20170414_123535.jpeg (223.6 KB, 96 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2017   #291
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

We're still yo-yo-ing up here in the Northeast.

We got down to 32f again early this morning. Tomorrow it'll be in the 80s, then the next wave of cold air hits again Mon/Tue with overnight lows in the mid-30s.

Garlic and shallots are all up. Kale and lettuce have been outside for over a week and are going in the ground today. Everything else will be tucked in under lights for at least another month.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017   #292
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

My friend Ben texted me this morning, 70F and sunny, Lake Catoma, Alabama. Says they had 5 over 5lb by 8am. Thought I'd share for those who enjoy Springtime bass fishing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0416170834.jpg (51.5 KB, 68 views)
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #293
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Dismal gray, cold and damp. And there's no good cartoons on Saturday anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: png snow.png (3.2 KB, 44 views)
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #294
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Wind out of the north overcast and 63.
Doesn't bother me a bit after yesterdays hot weather.
Opened up all of the windows and doors to cool the house off.
Smokey is running road races in the yard.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #295
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Cooler & damp this morning. Rain is on the way. As long as it's not a gully washer it will be good for the garden. Tomatoes & peppers were planted this week.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #296
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

We have had 2 days of needed rain giving us about 4". Today's high is 50f with lows in the morning at 38f. When the garden dries out a little it will be time to plant the rest of my maters. I planted 4 Early Girls about 2 weeks ago for an early harvest instead of the usual early July.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #297
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

We are having real nice tomato , okra and pepper weather, with highs in high 80s and lows in low 60s. can't beat that.
Tomatoes that have fruits already:
SILVERY FIR TREE, SUNGOLD, STUPICE, BLACK CHERRY.
The rest have been growing n flowering like crazy.
This is the weather wonder .

WISHING YOU ALL A CLEMENT WEATHER !

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #298
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

What a difference - It was 80 degrees last night at 8pm, and this morning at 8am it was 51 degrees. Here it is near 11am and it has warmed up to 55 degrees with a strong north wind. The forecast is saying it'll be near 90 in a few days.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #299
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Gosh, we had a beauty of a day, yesterday. Had a nice one last month too. Both in the 16C range. Trees are blossoming and tulips flowering despite the ongoing showery rainy days.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #300
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Yes, definite chill last night. The cat moved onto the bed to get some extra heat (from me) and I had to reach for a blanket. (It's a small cat; one large cat will often do the trick if properly arrayed.)

On the plus side, the heat and A/C have been off for months. This is the best time of year in Texas.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote