Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 16, 2014   #1
Waiting
Tomatovillian™

Default Anna Russian hard to germinate?

What's the trick to germinating Anna Russian? I haven't had any success.

Thanks,

gary
Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have noticed it is not one of the more viable seeds myself; but I have pretty good luck using UltraSorb from Auto Zone for getting improved germination with any seed.
There is a whole thread on using diatomaceous earth as a seed starting medium in this very forum. http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=22329

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Mine was one of the slower varieties as well. I used the paper towel method and my seeds germinated eventually.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #4
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

same here. Slow but kept them more moist than the rest and most came up.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #5
ReginaAnn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I have noticed it is not one of the more viable seeds myself; but I have pretty good luck using UltraSorb from Auto Zone for getting improved germination with any seed.
There is a whole thread on using diatomaceous earth as a seed starting medium in this very forum. http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=22329

Bill
Wow, thanks for the link! Great thread. It totally sidetracked me for an hour
ReginaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #6
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

My Anna Russians came up fine . . . but then I do use a variation of the DE method.

I start seeds in 16oz cups, bottom 1/4 sterilized Miracle Grow potting soil, bring it up to a little over half full with sterilized sphagnum peat (both slightly moist and pressed down gently to firm), shallow dip in top, seed(s) on top of moist peat, covered thinly with perhaps 1/4 inch of DE (Ultrasorb . . . from O'Reilly's Auto supply I believe). Sometimes I put a *very* thin layer of moist peat over the seed before the DE layer -- but usually not, this year. I water lightly from the top, frequently enough to keep top barely moist, with a tiny bit -- few grains -- of Miracle Grow in the water, until germination.

I get 100% germination -- or something close to that -- on most varieties, Anna Russian included.

I had a few that stayed in doormat emulation mode, though -- if your other seeds did well, perhaps Anna Russian was just one of your shirkers this year.

If I had plenty of seed of a no-show variety I gave the first seeding a week or so, then planted more, gave them a week, then planted more, etc. Some purchased 2012 Sophie's Choice got that treatment -- then all of a sudden seedlings, from all sowings, began showing up. Germination still wasn't up to the standard of most, but is up to about 50% or a little more -- and with the repeated sowing I should have plenty of Sophie's Choice this year -- if they can survive hail, wind, deer, flea beetles, etc.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #7
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

My AR were slow, 8 days to pop even with bottom heat. If you wish, the wet paper towel in a plastic bag method would allow you to see something a couple of days earlier.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Anna Russian was never a problem for me as regards germination, but several of us have found that many heart shaped varieties have seeds that don't retain viability as long as non-hearts, so the age of seed used could well be a factor.

About the wet paper towel method, as to why I'm opposed to it.

Year after year when I made, going back to the late 80's and still make seed offers here at Tville, when folks have had problems getting seeds up and have noted the method used, it's almost always been those who use the wet paper towel method and build up of humidity which has caused mold problems, destroying the seeds.

Carolyn
Old April 16, 2014   #9
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Last year I had problems with AR germinating, but I also had problems with germination in general. This year much better results. Anna Russian has actually been doing well and so has Ukrainian Heart. Mind you they do look wimpy compared to the other varieties but that's the nature of hearts I guess. UK was quick to germinate, AR slower to germinate and slow to grow. Never tried the paper towel.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #10
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i have grown anna russian several years now, and don't ever recall a problem with germination.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2014   #11
Waiting
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies.

I used Root Riot cubes and were it not for A.R. (0 out of 7) I'd be batting 1000.

Maybe the whole packet of seeds is bad, but they were bought this year from a reputable dealer.

I guess it's not too late to try again, we have a long season.

gary
Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2014   #12
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I bought quite a few packets of seeds from a trusted dealer this past year but one of them only had about 10% germination while almost everything else was well over 90% so I think it was just that packet. It happens.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote