Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 15, 2014   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Starting Tomato Seeds for 2014

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?DDATG 15 February 2014 Starting Tomato Seeds for 2014
Some tomato seeds were started for the 2014 season in the greenhouse. Selected were Lemon Boy,Bonny Best,Big Beef Hybrid, and Black Krim. Only five plants of each are required. Each seed type was placed in one pot, and will be transplanted into individual pots when they get large enough.The soil was my own home made in the Summer. Each pot was placed in a plastic bag until germination to keep the moisture level high. The pots were placed on a heating mat in the small greenhouse.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?IEVCS 11 September 2013 Seedling Soil
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2014   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Wow! You are obviously itching to grow, but it seems early to me. When do you plant out?

I'm pretty sure that our plant out-date is Victoria Day weekend (around May 21) although I'm going by what I always did in Montreal. Last year, I spoke to some market gardeners selling tomato seedlings and they said that to be safe, they waited until the beginning of JUNE!!!!! I was shocked, but did likewise. Amazingly, we had a frost after May 21 last year!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2014   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Your planting dates are about right. I have the plants in gallon pots come planting time, many with fruit. The greenhouse insure plenty of light, so they are usually quality plants come planting time.

I find the most significant effect to be the weather in my area. If the weather is contrary all other operations pale to insignificance and a lousy crop ensues.
Old February 15, 2014   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Aha! You have a GREENHOUSE! You lucky Devil .

Happy growing!

Linda
Old February 15, 2014   #5
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HKERY 5 November 2010 Greenhouse on Deck.
Old February 15, 2014   #6
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Very nice!!! Cute pupper too .

We have a deck, and hubby is a competent builder of things, but I'd probably get some complaints if I suggested that he build a greenhouse there.

Linda
Old February 15, 2014   #7
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately Neena, nine years old, got hit by a car and back broken about two years ago. Now I have Ginny.
Old February 15, 2014   #8
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
Unfortunately Neena, nine years old, got hit by a car and back broken about two years ago. Now I have Ginny.
Oh I'm SO sorry to hear that. Poor Neena.

Glad you have Ginny to love.

Linda
Old March 29, 2014   #9
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YSLUY 29 March 2014 Tomato Seedling Growth
Tomato seedling growth to date.Plants are healthy and growing well.It has been cool and not too sunny since starting even in the greenhouse.
Old March 29, 2014   #10
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Looking good Durgan.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2014   #11
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

nice looking bunch of seedlings, Durgan. Stocky and healthy just as they should be. How do you heat your greenhouse?
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2014   #12
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
nice looking bunch of seedlings, Durgan. Stocky and healthy just as they should be. How do you heat your greenhouse?
Karen
http://www.heater-store.com/Mr-Heate...unt-heater.htm Mr. Heater MHVFB10NG Vent Free Wall Mount Heater
Brand: Mr. Heater
SKU: F255321
Mfg Number: F255321
BTU /hr.:
10000 BTU
Fuel Type: Natural Gas

I vent the heater well, which of course, removes some of the heat. The plants must be covered at night if the temperature goes below about minus 10C. Also the tables must be kept away from the walls if it get very cold. The greenhouse is only used for starting seeds, mostly for the light. I don't keep any plants to overwinter. The greenhouse is used from about February to the end of May.
Old April 5, 2014   #13
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

How is everyone finding germination rates this year? For the second time kelloggs breakfast has been poor. Only 3 have germinated so far. Last year nothing happened. Azoychka only one to date, Indian stripe only two. There are others, but ii trying to be patient.....
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2014   #14
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HGJNN 9 April 2014 Repotting tomatos. Some tomatoes were moved to larger pots. The main reason at this time is to make watering easier.The larger pot holds more moisture and watering times are not so critical.The plants are watered from the bottom by immersing in a container of water. This will be the last move until the plants are placed in the ground at the end of May.Pictures depict the process.