Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 12, 2014   #31
Tom A To
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
Windy conditions & growing in cooler temps in the (50-60F) will get you the thick stems. I put a zip tie around the plant with a chopstick and that seems to fatten up the stem.
It's hard for me to visualize how that works and yes, because I am retired now, my mind is on the verge of becoming Jello. Do you have a pic?

Audios, Tomatoville. Posted my final post and time to move on.

Last edited by Tom A To; March 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM.
Tom A To is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2014   #32
Tom A To
Tomatovillian™

I used to put my plants in horizontally but being a ham-fisted hillbilly I broke too many of them that way, as careful as I thought I was being.

These days I put my plants in early to get a jump on the season and take a gamble that the weather will hold. If it doesn't, I have backups. I win almost every year. The plants are not that big when I do this so it is easy to rip off the bottom leaves and plant the sucker stem straight in.

Audios, Tomatoville. Posted my final post and time to move on.
Tom A To is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2014   #33
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjjohn View Post
1) do you support the bend once you lay them horizontally? 2) do you trim the stems touching or close to the soil? 3) do you use plastic or any kind of mulch or hill the plants with this method?
I usually dig deep, but occasionally I can't dig deep enough and lay the stems horizontally, in a trench several inches deep (3-5 inches or so).
Yes, remove any leaves that would be underground.
The stem that's still above ground will be at an acute angle (not upright) at first, but it will grow upright on its own, reaching for the sun.

My climate is dry in the summer, so I always mulch everything.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2014   #34
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
Windy conditions & growing in cooler temps in the (50-60F) will get you the thick stems. I put a zip tie around the plant with a chopstick and that seems to fatten up the stem.
Yes! With your grow lights kept close...1" to 2" and a fan on a timer to blow gently over the tops of the plants. Don't go less than 50F or they will stop growing.

You can start by picking the fatter seeds and germinating more seed than you need, then pick the healthiest seedlings to continue growing in a cool environment.
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2014   #35
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Our night temps typically go below 40's. But here is a picture with the chop stick and the zip tie. A little bit of physical contact helps with the thicker stems (i use the zip tie) but generally can just brush your hands over the plants or use a fan like suggested.

Pic 1

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....&postcount=143

Pic 2

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....&postcount=136
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2014   #36
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjjohn View Post
I read that some where too,, never tried it.. the question I have is ..1) do you support the bend once you lay them horizontally? 2) do you trim the stems touching or close to the soil? 3) do you use plastic or any kind of mulch or hill the plants with this method?
Wow!! I'm so sorry for the delay in answering you.

Yes I support the bend with a thin bamboo support once the plant is in the ground.

Since there is only one stem when I plant this would not be an issue.

Just think of planting a tomato plant the regular way in the ground.

That's what I do only I plant it where the majority of it is laying horizontally with the top of the plant curled upward leaving only a couple of inches of the plant above the ground.
Old March 13, 2014   #37
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Julia View Post
Wow!! I'm so sorry for the delay in answering you.

Yes I support the bend with a thin bamboo support once the plant is in the ground.

Since there is only one stem when I plant this would not be an issue.

Just think of planting a tomato plant the regular way in the ground.

That's what I do only I plant it where the majority of it is laying horizontally with the top of the plant curled upward leaving only a couple of inches of the plant above the ground.
I agree too , if I can grow my seedling thick stem and straight ,i'll bury them straight and hill them almost up the the first true leaves,, if i had leggy tomato plants, I will bury them horizontal too.. after hilling them , going to use the black plastic mulch to keep the weeds down.. last year the weeds were too much to keep up with.. i like the mulch too for absorbing sun heat and insulating the small plants during early season.. in the hot summer the plastic mulch helps protect fallen tomatoes.