Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 28, 2009   #46
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbigfish View Post
Carolyn
low-acid keeps coming up in descriptions - am I wrong in that all tomatoes have acid of about the same ph but that the difference is the sugar content (brix) may make a tomato bland, sweeter or mask the acid taste - correct me if I am wrong
Dennis
Correct Dennis and I spoke to that in either my red or pink suggested corrections above and also noted that i didn't think one should say low acid without having proof of the actual pH. Some folks are allergic to certain tomato organic compouds and if they see something is said to be low acid and it isn't, that could be a real problem.

That's not to say that other seed companies don't throw around the words low acid, some do, but it's not right to do IMO if one doesn't have proof.

Jet Star F1 and a few others are KNOWN to be low acid by pH documentation.
Old December 28, 2009   #47
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I hope everyone and anyone who is reading here would please see if there's anything else to be suggested about the various varieties listed, anything I missed, anything I might have said that's wrong, etc.
Carolyn, you have tackled a huge editing job that no one else took on and have noted many of the needed corrections. I know I made comments earlier regarding the degree of corrections needed, but I'm waiting for an updated version to appear before taking on any voluntary editing work. I do so much of that at work that I guess it looked like it would take up too much time for me during a holiday break from work. I'll be happy to comment on the next version when it most likely appears after first of the year.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2009   #48
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn
Yes I was reading back and noticed you did mention that on some varieties.
Like travis I am going to wait to see a 'list' or go back after this first round is completed to re-review for errors
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2009   #49
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

670 also has the word 'maturity' just hanging there ?
Old December 28, 2009   #50
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

670 the extra spaces before the 2 1/2-3 inch should be removed
throughout site gleckler seedmen should be in Cap Gleckler Seedmen

Aurora Originating is after a coma so no capitalization needed

Early Rouge the "A very nice Early" early should not be capitalized here

Ludmilla's Red Plum who, not Who

Lutescent whichis should be which is

Magyar Piros Boker freind in 2008 is mispelled - friend is correct spelling

Magyar Piroska freind should be spelled friend

Carolyn
I have seen Siberian listed as DET and IND and Siberia interchanged over the years - are their 1 2 or 3 diff tomato varieties??
Old December 28, 2009   #51
dice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have seen Siberian listed as DET and IND and Siberia interchanged over the years - are their 1 2 or 3 diff tomato varieties??
Siberian is determinate, regular leaf, like the picture in the
Gleckler's online catalog.

Siberia is determinate, rugose regular leaf (stocky stems
and thick, wrinkled leaves of a tree-type dwarf, like
New Big Dwarf, Dwarf Champion, Demidov, Russian Red,
Husky Red Cherry, etc).

There was also a PL determinate that someone distributed
as "Siberian" via the SSE catalog maybe 15-20 years ago
(wrong), so one occasionally sees those around.
Old December 29, 2009   #52
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I sent Adam an e-mail with some pictures attached so he can plug some holes on varieties that don't have any pictures. Ami
Old December 29, 2009   #53
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Ami, thanks so much for sending those pictures to Adam.

Here are the last two groups .

Green When Ripe

Great White, low acid???, Adam, I think better to say mild tasting for ALL the places where you say low acid, IMO. received ( on details page) and continuing on the details page,......try in the 1980's. One plant produced large white beefsteak shaped fruits and we named the variety Great White.

Green Giant, yields

Lime Green Salad, better to say, I think, bred by Tom Wagner in the 1980's and introduced by Tim Peters........but why Tim Peters? At that time he was still at Territorial Seeds as I recall and Tom sent several of his varieties to SSE and they were first listed there, ones such as Greenwich and I think Lime Green Salad as well. As far as that goes Tom had his own small catalog back then and was selling seeds from that catalog, he called himself the Tater Mater Seed Company, so he really would have been the one to introduce this variety as I see it.

Spears, not Spear's for the variety name, green, not Green, in the text

Black Cherry, Regular leaf, strong vine growth, high yields of 1 " dark- colored cherries with excellent taste. This variety was bred by the late Vince Sapp, former owner with his wife Linda of Tomato Growers Supply which she still operates.

Brown Berry, Regular leaf, brown 1" fruits, bred by Sahin Seeds of the Netherlands.

Coyote, add originally from Mexico and there's more to this story as there is for many of the varieties and since folks like stories perhaps those can be added at some later date.

Green Grape, you start out with must try and have no info about plant habit, DTM, leaf form , etc., plant habit should be det even though the original was indet, so, Determinate, regular leaf, good yield of about 1" cherries with good taste. I'd suggest picking in pints, not quarts for roadside sales, hey, I've done it and few want whole quarts of cherries IMO, LOL Also, I'll send you Green Doctors which I and many others find to be a much better gwripe cherry, and the latest development with that one was the mutation to a clear epidermis and so named Green Doctors Frosted, but I'd go with Green Doctors at first.

Mexico Midget, half inch red fruits ( I wouldn't say tiny since that usually refers to currant types)

Pink Cherry, 3/4 inch, and it's not clear to me if Rheinhard Kraft bred this one or just had it on his seed list , and that would be Manfred's seed list anyway. Clara could clear up this confusion.

Yellow Submarine, pear shaped fruits ( plural on fruits)

All for now and that's it. As Travis said, he'd check back when all the suggestions you agree with have been implemented and of course if anyone sees anything else they want to add that I missed or I said something not correctly I encourage all to post those comments here.
Old December 29, 2009   #54
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Dice

Siberia and Siberian: There seems to be a lot of confusion out there about these two tomatoes since their names are so similar. Since these are 2 different cultivars, let's try to clear up some of that confusion.
Siberia: From Russia, this famous cold weather variety can produce fruit in temperatures as low as 38 degrees, and in 48 to 55 days. A compact, bush variety that only grows 2 to 3 feet, it is wind resistant, cold resistant, and produces 2 to 3 ounce red fruit in clusters. Pleasant tasting, but reportedly not as delicious as the Siberian. Only requires a small growing area. Ideal for growing in containers or pots.
Siberian: The Siberian is also from Russia, and also tolerates the cold well, but not as well as the Siberia Tomato above. This compact, bush determinate produces slightly larger, better tasting, 3 to 5 ounce red fruits in 55 to 60 days. Can also be grown in containers or large pots.
Be careful of seed companies that confuse these two tomatoes from Russia.
om Tomato Seeds Trust it says Indeterminate
Matures: 59 Days. Siberia. The original TOMATO, SIBERIAN that inspired us to go to Siberia in 1989. Red round 3-4 oz. fruits, hand selected for generations for fresh-picked flavor. (Ind.)

Reimer Seeds
48 days. Lycopersicon esculentum. Plant produces good yields of flavorful 5 oz bright red tomatoes. Plant is capable of setting fruit even at 38 degrees. One of the earliest varieties on the market, takes only 7 weeks when transplanted outdoors. A popular variety grown in Alaska. A heirloom variety from Russia. Determinate.

Anioleka Seeds USA
SIBERIAN RED TOMATO
Famous variety from Russia known for its ability to crop in even the coldest climates. Det. 50 days.

Victory Seeds
Siberia
50 days, determinate This tomato variety sets fruit early. They are bright red and weigh up to five ounce. Reported as being capable of setting fruits at 38°F, however, 'Siberia', like any other tomato, is not frost hardy.
The undocumented lore is that this variety was smuggled out of Russia in 1975.

TomatoFest
Days: 62
Size: Determinate
Color: Red
Season: Early-Season
Type: Heirloom
Great Russian tomato perfect for cooler/shorter growing regions. Sturdy plant produces abundant clusters of 4-oz., bright-red, round, juicy fruit that is surprizingly flavorful for a cooler ripening variety.
Gardeners' Choice doesn't even say
and I have seen a few others that said Indeterminate

Tasty Tomatoes
Siberian Red Tomato
Known in Russia as "Sibirskii ranospelii" this tomato from Russia sets fruit in cool weather. This is a very early ripening tomato variety which performs exceptionally well in a short growing season. Produces a large number of brilliant red, juicy fruits which weigh from 3-5 oz. Very slight flattening at the top. Determinate. 50 days. The best tomato for cold climates!

Last edited by mtbigfish; December 29, 2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old December 29, 2009   #55
rhynes_boomer
Tomatovillian™

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to say, How cool is it to have so many different types of tomato's, this is just AWESOME! I feel as if I have been living in the stoneage, I have only grown, like, 4 different tomatoe's my whole gardening life, which is about 10 years. And I am just now finding out how lost i have actually been. I have grown beefsteak, which I only thought there was that one kind? cherry tomato, had no idea there were so many different kinds? champion which I usually buy at the greenhouse. Roma which I thought that was the only name for them.

I have been reading all over this site the different types, and I had asked Mr. Ted to try a different kind of cherry tomato he is sending. This is just cool, once i figure out how to harvest my own seeds, better, I will start giving people some from my crops!!!!!!

Kat (rhynes_boomer)
rhynes_boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2009   #56
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Kat
And to top it off beefsteak is a type of tomato besides a couple varieties with that name ie Red Ponderosa or Chrimson Cushion original beefsteak both heirlooms - then 1 call Beefsteak (hybrid) and another call Beefsteak (OP) and sometimes may be one of the originals - and there are different colored - sizes ie Ceylon a mini-beefsteak etc -
Welcome to the world of heirlooms and thousands of tomato varieties - that grow true
Old December 29, 2009   #57
rhynes_boomer
Tomatovillian™

This is so COOOOOLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still just reading about what everyone else is doing, there is just so much, and I am going to try some this year!

I was saying about the beefsteak tomato, I seen where there is one called a WATERMELON Beefsteak, I bet that sucker gets huge! I have read about a Italian Tree tomato that grows to be 25', WHAT! I would like to have a few different types of unusual tomato's? I have read where there are some tomato's that grow in very cold weather - to - very hot weather? In Oklahoma those would be perfect!

I have seen some named after - Greek - Italian - Siberian - Belguim, This is just Great!!!

The only thing is I want to grow them for myself first, and only have limited space? Living in town and all.

I have just read about the tomato that Campbell's soup uses and it is named after them.....

Bring'em on, I Love it!!!!!!

Kat
rhynes_boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2009   #58
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Kat

[Link and name removed
by Admin]

You can get like 6 seeds of 4 varieties for free - just SASE - if you make donation of $5 you can get like 12 choices and it keeps on going - this would give you a chance to try several w/o buying 30 packs of seeds and having a 90% of the seeds left over
Most of my relatives are from Missouri, Ohio, Pa and Arkansas and there are some good maters from those areas
Old December 29, 2009   #59
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbigfish View Post
Kat

[Link and name removed by Admin]

You can get like 6 seeds of 4 varieties for free - just SASE - if you make donation of $5 you can get like 12 choices and it keeps on going - this would give you a chance to try several w/o buying 30 packs of seeds and having a 90% of the seeds left over
Most of my relatives are from Missouri, Ohio, Pa and Arkansas and there are some good maters from those areas
Or you can go to the Seed Exchange Forum here at Tville where you can get seeds for a stamp. Many folks make seed offers here with a tremendous number of varieties, and not all folks ask for trades. Actually you'll see that there's a subforum for wants and another for trades, but there is no clear distinction.

I'm one of the persons who makes a seed offer here each year and I don't want anything in trade unless a Tville member has a family heirloom that they'd like me to grow and then list the variety here in a seed offer and also list it in the SSE Yearbook and if it's a really good one then I send it for trial to a few seed companies that I've long known the owners and trust them. So those would include Sandhill Preservation, Tomato Growers Supply and Victory Seeds and from time to time to Marianne Jones at mariseeds and also from time to time to Jeff Casey who also posts here at Tville. And in the past I've sent varieties to Pinetree and Shepherd seeds.
Old December 29, 2009   #60
fredwes
Tomatovillian™

Here are a few more suggestions for Glecklers. I only did the Red Tomato section. Good luck to them in their venture ! I am definitely ordering from them. My brother will too. He wants locally grown seeds and he lives in the next county over from Glecklers.

REDS
Angora: apperance > appearance

Dwarf Stone: . good production > . Good production. (or) > , good production.

Early Rouge: A very nice Early > A very nice early; Blemish > blemish

Egg: ...chicken egg Solid... > ...chicken egg. Solid...

Guido: woppers > whoppers

Indiana Red: ...2 pounds. very good flavor... > ...2 pounds. Very good flavor...

Ludmilla's Red Plum: ...Germany, Who... > ...Germany, who...

Lutescent: whichis > which is

Mr. Bruno: alot > a lot ; Austrailian Heirloom > Australian heirloom

Peron sprayless > Peron Sprayless: out-perform > outperform

Prue: Tomatoes > tomatoes

Red Barn: beefsteak's > beefsteaks (twice in text); Joe Braka's > Joe Bratka's

Red Penna: Huge, Red Beefsteak. > Huge red beefsteak.

Sausage: ...leaf. plants... > ...leaf. Plants...

Siberian: ...flavor. a ... > ...flavor. A ...

Stick: ...producer. an... > ...producer, an... ; introduced In 1957 > introduced in 1957

Ultimate Giant: ...tomatoes. flavor... > ...tomatoes. Flavor...

Fred
fredwes is offline   Reply With Quote