Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 22, 2012   #1
tedln

Default Thanksgiving Memories!

I'm curious if anyone has any outstanding Thanksgiving memories.

About thirty years ago, my wife and I had prepared a Thanksgiving feast to feed about forty family and friends. My wife's mother had a sudden health emergency and we found ourselves in the intensive care waiting room with many other families. While we had great concern about her mother, we were also wondering what we would do with all that food back at the house. I invited everyone in the waiting room to return to our house and share a Thanksgiving meal with us. Since we only lived about five minutes from the hospital, it wasn't a big deal. About twenty new friends joined us for dinner that evening and it was one of the best Thanksgiving's we have ever experienced.

Since my wife and I are now the oldest members of our family, we had a great Thanksgiving today with our children and grandchildren. I hope you had a great thanksgiving as well.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; November 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old November 22, 2012   #2
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Ted, what a memorable holiday that was ! Great of you to invite them all.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2012   #3
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

This is at best a fading memory of Thanksgivings in my childhood, nearly 60 years ago. I grew up in Oklahoma. Had an aunt and uncle that lived in San Fransisco and drove their car "home" to OK every year at Thanksgiving. This was in the 50's, so no interstate highways. It was only later that I realized what a monumental task that was to drive all that way! I remember the time my Mother announced, "Fred and Susan are not coming for dinner" It was a little sad even to a kid.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2012   #4
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
This is at best a fading memory of Thanksgivings in my childhood, nearly 60 years ago. I grew up in Oklahoma. Had an aunt and uncle that lived in San Fransisco and drove their car "home" to OK every year at Thanksgiving. This was in the 50's, so no interstate highways. It was only later that I realized what a monumental task that was to drive all that way! I remember the time my Mother announced, "Fred and Susan are not coming for dinner" It was a little sad even to a kid.
Sounds like a long drive, but a great trip to look forward too each year. I was pretty young before the interstate highway system was built, but I remember enjoying the trips back then. When the super highways were built, the trips were no longer any fun. I've always hated seeing the little towns just off the highways that basically dried up and blew away when the new highway bypassed them. Sometimes we lose a lot when speed and efficiency are our only goals.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; November 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old November 23, 2012   #5
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Being a kid sitting around the big dining room table and after the meal, my Dad pouring out the Angel Tips. Mine would be more Half and Half than Creme de Cocoa but what a great memory.
Now I'm the one pouring the Angel Tips for everyone.

Also, as the family got bigger and bigger with Grandchildren, my folks having to keep adding tables to the end of the big dining room table until we were well into the living room.

Those were fun days!
Old November 23, 2012   #6
tedln

What are angel tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrownDogHouse View Post
Being a kid sitting around the big dining room table and after the meal, my Dad pouring out the Angel Tips. Mine would be more Half and Half than Creme de Cocoa but what a great memory.
Now I'm the one pouring the Angel Tips for everyone.

Also, as the family got bigger and bigger with Grandchildren, my folks having to keep adding tables to the end of the big dining room table until we were well into the living room.

Those were fun days!
Old November 23, 2012   #7
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
What are angel tips?
In a fancy little stemmed shot glass, you pour in Creme de Cocoa. Then on the top, you carefully pour in Half and Half. Some recipes call for Heavy Cream.

You layer it on the top. The best way is to turn the handle of a spoon upside down, put it up against the inside of the glass and pour the Half and Half down the handle.

Dark on the bottom, light on the top.
Everyone seems to love this drink!
Old November 23, 2012   #8
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

My fondest Thanksgiving memory was as a child one year we got to go to the family farm in North Carolina. Usually we visited once every 2 years for Christmas only. But this year we got to go for Thanksgiving. My great uncle and my great grand daddy Thellie were still alive and able to get about. They walked me around the farm, let me harvest some persimmons from the old persimmon tree older even than Daddy Thellie and the ancient paper shell pecan trees too. My Great Uncle carved me a ring from an acorn. We saw quail, wild turkey, all the farm animals. They taught me the trees and plants in the forest and on the farm like peanuts and cotton. Hard to describe the feelings smells etc.... But I will never forget it. I guess when you are young it all seems kinda wonderous.

Oh and the meal was cooked on the old pot bellied wood stove! That was the last major meal for the whole extended family in the old farm house. (huge southern plantation style house).

And as always at diner Daddy Thellie had to pipe in with, "That pie isn't as good as I remember, I think I'll need another piece just to get the good out of it"

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012   #9
tedln

Thats a great memory Scott. I had to wait too sample wild grapes, wild Hickory nuts, wild persimmons, and a few other wild things until the United States army taught me in survival school. I really appreciated it because we didn't have much wild stuff when I was growing up in the dry Texas panhandle.

The "Angel Tips" sound pretty good also. Guess I will need to buy the ingredients and give them a try.

Ted
Old November 24, 2012   #10
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

Our daughter and first child was born on Thanksgiving day 1968 at Robins AFB, Georgia.
Old November 26, 2012   #11
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryinfla View Post
Our daughter and first child was born on Thanksgiving day 1968 at Robins AFB, Georgia.
My husband was born on thanksgiving day, too. Not my memory, but I appreciate my MIL's efforts of the day. His two brothers...Easter and 4th of July. What a great way to spend 3 major holidays a year...celebrating birthdays.
Old November 26, 2012   #12
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
My husband was born on thanksgiving day, too. Not my memory, but I appreciate my MIL's efforts of the day. His two brothers...Easter and 4th of July. What a great way to spend 3 major holidays a year...celebrating birthdays.
Our youngest son was born on Thanksgiving day forty three years ago. We adopted him when he was three days old by picking him up at the hospital as a new born baby. We celebrated his birthday last week on Thanksgiving. Your right, it does make it easy to remember.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; November 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM.