Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 27, 2011   #1
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Default direct seeding

For anyone who has been hit by one of the frosts, hail storms, high winds, or just got behind in your plans, you might try direct seeding. My grandmother would buy a couple plants and then also direct seed. She lived in Keokuk County, Iowa, and this was successful for her. She did it every year. It's certainly worth a try. I'm guessing her location would have been zone 3b-4 ish.

I'm posting a little bit about my grandmother in the 2cents category. She died about four hours ago, at age 93.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011   #2
tedln

So sorry to hear about your grandmother. All my grandparents had passed on when I was born late to my parents. I think it is great that you will have memories of yours. My condolences to you and your family.

And yes, I did direct seed some plants this year in zone 7b. The frost got most of my seedlings so I planted a combination of seedlings bought from nurseries and seed planted direct. The seedlings are producing a lot of large ripe fruit. The direct seeded have a few tiny fruit for later production.

Ted