Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 31, 2014   #16
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
What am I doing wrong with onions? I buy the sets and the nursery says they should be
baseball sized. This is my 3rd attempt and all I get is golf ball sized onions. The current
batch have been in the ground for five months. I'll be in the ground before they are ever
baseball sized!!

First make sure you're growing the right type of onion for your area -- short day or long day. Also, I've heard of so many people having poor results with sets so maybe try starting from seeds next year. They are very easy to start and grow and need very little care and attention.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2014   #17
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Things have been looking up, weather wise, for a few days now and I am itching to get out into the garden and work this weekend!

My tomato seedling are looking good. They have really started to take off since the garage temp went up a bit.

My regular chives have started to come in, but my garlic chives are no where to be seen...I guess the harsh winter did them in

In happier news, the Negronne fig I purchased from the lovely people at Bayflora nursery is budding up. I am so excited!

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2014   #18
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Figs! I love figs!!! It's wonderful that you have a fig tree. I was thinking about getting one but I have yet to read my HOA rules on fruit trees. Looks like spring is taking hold of your garden, everything is looking green and happy!!!!
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2014   #19
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Vespertino. Apparently they are very good for pot culture, especially the Negronne fig which is supposedly a natural dwarf.

I was busy this weekend cleaning up my garden and refreshing my perennial herbs. We also started a small potato project. My hubs has been curious about the whole "potato in a trash can" theory so we are trying it for ourselves.

We took an old 30 gal trash can and cut it into slices that fit back together. Hopefully this will help the issue with light reaching the plants when they are young. We also drilled lots of drain holes and aeration holes along the sides.

We made a mix of peat moss and Black Kow (mostly because it was cheap and light) and filled the container about 5 inches. I purchased French Fingerling seed potatoes and chitted them for a few days under my grow lights.

We then planted them and covered with another few inches of mix.

We plan to hill the plants pretty consistently so only about 2 inches of plant matter is showing at the top (hopefully this will keep the stem producing potatoes) and try our best to keep the moisture even.

We shall see how it goes...since we are only out a few dollar this is just a fun side project and any yield will be a treat!

Old April 14, 2014   #20
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Great Idea on the Potatoes. I've been forgetting to plant potatoes and probably do that today. Your tomato plants are coming along great, when do you plant out? We are just starting to notice tomato set here in California and the excitement over the first ripe tomato has started but its going to be awhile. Anyways - Happy Gardening! Looking forward to your potato experiment.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2014   #21
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

French fingerlings are delicious, good potato choice there!
Old April 15, 2014   #22
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Hey Delerium, that is the eternal questions, isn't it? Two years ago I planted out the second week of April, last year I planted out the first weekend in May. This year I am hoping to split the difference and plant out the last week of April...mostly because I am going away on vacation and I trust my plants to my automatic water system more than our "house-sitters"!

Thanks Vespertino! I certainly am excited to give them a try!

Old April 21, 2014   #23
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

It finally feels like we might have seen the last of winter with that slight freeze we had last week. I am going for optimism since I HAVE to plant out this coming weekend before I go away on vacation, here's hoping the weather cooperates

I received my order of German Butterball potatoes and planted two containers in the same manner I did last week with the fingerlings.

The mix is, so far, remaining moist but not too wet which is hopefully ideal for the spuds to be.

Also, My fig tree survived the frost we had last week eventhough it's neglectful owner forgot to bring it inside

Here's hoping everyone had a fun and productive weekend!

Old April 27, 2014   #24
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

OMG!!! German butterballs are my absolute FAVORITE potato in the world. I used to buy them at the farmers market when I lived in NYC. I hope they do really well for ya, since they taste so delicious you're going to want an ample supply hope your vacation was a good one!!
Old April 28, 2014   #25
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Vespertino! I am super excited for them!
Speaking of potatoes, I saw my first sprout from the French Fingerlings this weekend!

Yesterday was D-day for my plants since I am leaving for vacation on Wednesday. Good, bad or indifferent they are in the ground/containers. The weather is looking pretty good for the next week and I hardened them off for two weeks solid so here's hoping all the little guys make it!
I only have two small in ground beds (one 16x3 and one 4x8) so most of my tomatoes went into SWC in my driveway.

I wish everyone good luck with the busy next couple of weeks!

Old April 28, 2014   #26
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Everything is looking great!
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014   #27
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

I came back from vacation to find a mixed bag of a garden:
My dwarves and herbs in containers are looking great. There are even a few flowers on Rosella Purple!

However, my cherry bed was raided by rabbits So I had to replace one of my black cherry plants with a Chocolate cherry (will be a nice comparison) and happened to have a spare Sweet Linda to fill the space of it's eaten sibling. I did not have another Blush replacement and I could not find a comparable seedling at the nursery so I am rooting for the "One Leaf Wonder"!

Every single one of my curcurbit seeds sprouted so (after culling) I have 6 miniature white cucumbers, one Cosmos squash and one Romanesco squash.

My Negronne Fig is leafing out nicely

I am also (re)hardening off my Lemon Drop Pepper and Dwarf Meyer Lemon tree that I've kept in the house all winter.

The potatoes got their first hilling and I will keep doing so once they get a few inches tall.
Before:

After:

I hope everyone's spring is going well! Cheers!

Old May 14, 2014   #28
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

So, I encountered a bit of a disaster when I got home last night. One of my varieties of garlic (Killarney Red) looked a bit sick so I pulled a few out and it looks like they have the dreaded "white rot". Since it was a bed I've never had any alliums in, I have to assume it was present in the seed stock. Is it weird to cry over garlic plants?

Luckily I have a separate bed with my Sulmona garlic and they still look ok, so I have my fingers crossed!

I also received my order from Chilepants.com. The plants look gorgeous and I cant wait to get them in their containers. I'm really looking forward to trying the Kamo egglant and Shi★★★★o peppers!

Last edited by BucksCountyGirl; May 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old May 14, 2014   #29
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing shish-ito peppers too and can't wait for to cook them! I just had them for the first time a couple of months ago on a business trip to Los Angeles. They were so yummy! I had never heard of them before that.

Good luck!
Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2014   #30
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend!

Thanks Fiishergurl, I have heard really awesome things about the shi★★★★o peppers so I am really looking forward to sampling them!

So far so good in the garden this year.
I am really impressed with the ease of plant maintenance and how healthy everything is looking in my earthtainers. My husband is already worrying about how many more I am going to ask him to build for me.
Earthtainer Tomatoes

Earthtainer Squash

The potatoes are growing so fast that we are needing to hill them every other day. I am very anxious to see how this experiment works out!

My dwarf tomatoes are really starting to flower profusely. And I just adore the tidy growth habit. Pending a taste test I am sure I will be growing many of these varieties next year.

My overwintered Lemon drop survived the hardening off and re-potting process and is looking really healthy. I will definitely be doing this again next year. I wonder how many years I can do this with the same plant? If anyone has any experience with this I would love to know!

My pepper plants are looking good and starting to take off. I see some hot sauce in my future!

I hope everyone else is enjoying this beautiful weather. Cheers!

Last edited by BucksCountyGirl; May 27, 2014 at 11:36 AM.