Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 11, 2016   #241
gvillemom
Tomatovillian™

Only two are coming back this year, Sungold and Black Krim.
I am trying out lots of new varieties, hoping to sell some of them at our local farmers market.
New:
Dwarf Iditarod
Dwarf Alaskan Rose
Dwarf Sweet Sue
Dwarf Emerald Giant
Dwarf Russian Swirl
Dwarf Golden Heart
Dwarf Pink Passion

Box Car Willie
Mortgage Lifter
Cherokee Purple
Yellow Mortgage Lifter
Yellow Brandywine
Black Cherry
Big Rainbow
Amish Paste

I am pretty excited to try the dwarf varieties as I have raised beds. Trying grow bags for the indeterminate varieties this year.
gvillemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #242
Vineripened
Tomatovillian™

Default Dwarf varieties

I have not seen any dwarf varieties of tomatoes in my area !Are they are a newer type developed?Where could I try to find some?
Vineripened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #243
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
I decide last minute to grow this one. It was from a 2011 seed swap. It's a pretty
plant. Hopefully I have the correct variety.

I have a packet of Earl's Faux that's on my desk staring at me. It is from a 2009 sase
here on tomatoville from DuckCreekFarms. I will grow a plant next year.
The one I want to speak to is Pink Ping Pong which is what Roper is commenting on.

Tania's page for it

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/P...b=General_Info

She says I got it from Andrew Rahart,who lived down near NYC,but I didn't as you can see for any of you who have my heirloom tomato book.

Andrew,the father,had died and his son John,who was a dentisit in the midwest inherited all of his father's varieties and it was from John that I got

PinkPingPong
Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red,which isn't Jumbo

Myona,which always amused me since Andrew got it from a local Italian man,not from where Tanai said

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Myona

All to say that PPP was one of the most popular ones I delivered to a large local farmstand all those many years ago. Most popular were the pint containers with mixed cherry tomatoes,and I had made up several sheets of what I was bringing with the backgrounds of the varieties and stupid me had given my phone number if anyone had any questions.

That led to a woman calling me saying she MUST have all the yellow ones I could provide since she was giving a dinner party and only yellow ones would carry out her color scheme.

I should share with you that this farmstand was near the Albany airport and folks would drive up there from Loudonville,where I was raised on the farm,BUT, Loudonville was also THE most wealthy suburb of Albany and it wasn't unusual at all to see a woman come with her gardener to make selections for perennials, and so much more...............

Ah,the memories.

Carolyn
Old April 11, 2016   #244
gvillemom
Tomatovillian™

The dwarf varieties are cross breeds of heirloom varieties as I understand it. They are bred to be smaller, and grow better in containers or raised beds. Most only get 3-5 feet tall and do not spread out like most tomatoes do. They are perfect for pots or raised beds. I purchased my seeds thru Tatiana's, and if you Google tge Dwarf tomatoe breeding project the website will show places where seed can be bought. I don't know where you can buy the actual plants, sorry.
Old April 11, 2016   #245
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying one dwarf this year, I will grow more next year I bought some seeds in advance. I can't help myself! I just hauled all my plants outside, it's a nice day and told them to go play!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #246
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Just FYI, there are hybrid dwarfs, too. I had one called Container's Choice. It was great in every aspect except flavor, one of the worst-tasting tomatoes I have ever grown. The dwarf project dwarfs and heirloom dwarfs are far superior taste-wise.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #247
gvillemom
Tomatovillian™

I didn't realize there were hybrid dwarfs as well. I prefer the taste of heirloom tomatoes that's partly why I went with the Dwarf varieties I chose. The other reason, I was able to hear Craig LeHoullier, author of Epic Tomatoes, give a talk at the Heritage Harvest Festival. He got me excited to give them a try!
Old April 12, 2016   #248
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
The one I want to speak to is Pink Ping Pong which is what Roper is commenting on.

Tania's page for it

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/P...b=General_Info

She says I got it from Andrew Rahart,who lived down near NYC,but I didn't as you can see for any of you who have my heirloom tomato book.

Andrew,the father,had died and his son John,who was a dentisit in the midwest inherited all of his father's varieties and it was from John that I got

PinkPingPong
Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red,which isn't Jumbo

Myona,which always amused me since Andrew got it from a local Italian man,not from where Tanai said

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Myona

All to say that PPP was one of the most popular ones I delivered to a large local farmstand all those many years ago. Most popular were the pint containers with mixed cherry tomatoes,and I had made up several sheets of what I was bringing with the backgrounds of the varieties and stupid me had given my phone number if anyone had any questions.

That led to a woman calling me saying she MUST have all the yellow ones I could provide since she was giving a dinner party and only yellow ones would carry out her color scheme.

I should share with you that this farmstand was near the Albany airport and folks would drive up there from Loudonville,where I was raised on the farm,BUT, Loudonville was also THE most wealthy suburb of Albany and it wasn't unusual at all to see a woman come with her gardener to make selections for perennials, and so much more...............

Ah,the memories.

Carolyn
Thanks Carolyn. I did look at tatiana's site before starting a seed. I was a little
concerned with the description as mild. I had been planning on growing this one
for years. 2016 is finally that year. Good thing tomato seeds last for years.

Last edited by roper2008; April 12, 2016 at 07:51 AM.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #249
timbucktwo
Tomatovillian™

Olena Ukrainian, Brandywine OTV & Cherokee Purple PL are three returning to my garden this season & have had good results from all of them.
timbucktwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2016   #250
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbucktwo View Post
Olena Ukrainian, Brandywine OTV & Cherokee Purple PL are three returning to my garden this season & have had good results from all of them.
Olena Ukrainian is my fav too. Hopefully next year will have a space for it.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2016   #251
timbucktwo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
Olena Ukrainian is my fav too. Hopefully next year will have a space for it.
if I was forced to have to pick only one tomato to grow here, Olena Ukrainian would be it, seems to be a perfect fit where I live, definitely my favorite!
timbucktwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2016   #252
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

I only grow two tomatoes again because I'd like to try out as many varieties as possible.
Kremser Perle is back again because it's very early, doesn't need to be pruned, grows very sturdy and I personally love the taste. So the main reason here is that it is a very easy and still quite good tasting variety.
The other one is Cuor di Bue giant reif red, I love oxheart tomatoes and this one has a nice growth habit too and last year it was surprisingly early for such a large tomato.
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2016   #253
Hollylasue
Tomatovillian™

My list is small and boring compared to you guys but....Cherokee Green and purple.Rutgers.Green Zebra.Super sweet100.Brandy boy.Big beef.Golden queen USDA.Golden Jubilee.Lemon boy.Red Robin( in pots).Also Mr.Stripey even after I said I would never plant it again.My daughter just had to have it.I think she wants to prove she can grow it.
Hollylasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2016   #254
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Out of 27 varieties that I am growing this year, about HALF of them are returns.

==AZOYCHKA, ANANAS NOIRE, BLACK FROM TULA, BROWN HEART, BIG BEEF, CHEROKEE PURPLE, DWARF PURPLE HEART, HAHMS GELBE TOPFTOMATE, INDIGO ROSE, KUMATO, LEGEND, SILETZ , SILVERY FIR TREE, WILLAMETTE.

There will be some tough competition between those and the first timers Next year i will pick top 15 and drop the rest.
Gardeneer.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2016   #255
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

The old favorites:

Ananas Noire
Black Cherry
Cherokee Purple
Chocolate Cherry
Jetstar (I always do a few as my father requests lol)

The new varieties:

Black Beauty
Bosque Blue
Bread & Salt
Carbon
Coustralee
Neves Azorean Red

Last edited by Mike723; April 20, 2016 at 07:54 AM. Reason: typo
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote