Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 5, 2015   #121
imp
Tomatovillian™

Bower, if any of you guys get enough seed to offer the Snickers tomato, I'd be interested in growing it out. Anything that produces well in the heat and tastes good is a plus.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2015   #122
bower
Tomatovillian™

Scott can tell you more about producing in the heat, for sure.
As for taste, I used mine strictly for sauce, it was good enough. When I cut them open they were pretty dry looking and I expected that of a paste for cooking. A friend of mine also grew my two extra Snickers in her greenhouse this cold summer and compared with some other pastes, San Marzano, Heidi, Romeo and some others, and they did alright for her, fairly early compared to others. She also said they ate one fresh and thought it was good enough to eat. But it's basically for cooking, I think.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2015   #123
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Just for reference - there is a Snickers out there already, bred by Bill Jeffers

So the Snickers that I shared has been renamed to Deep Space
MarinaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2015   #124
bower
Tomatovillian™

Righteo.... Deep Space it is!! And a very fitting name I must say for this amusingly shaped tomato.
Old September 7, 2015   #125
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Deep Space tomatoes are now on my wish list for next year. Chernomor is another one that I don’t have seeds for yet and is on my wish list for 2016. I don’t know why I’m talking about next year when I still have over 800 tomato plants growing in my garden right now. I guess I’m just a dreamer.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2015   #126
bower
Tomatovillian™

Dutch, your wish is granted.
Old September 7, 2015   #127
imp
Tomatovillian™

Bower, you are just a nice person!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2015   #128
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaRussian View Post
Just for reference - there is a Snickers out there already, bred by Bill Jeffers

So the Snickers that I shared has been renamed to Deep Space
While I freely admit that I occasionally (snicker) suffer from senior moments, I do not at this time recall creating a tomato named Snickers.

However, this summer I did grow the Russian variety which translates as "Cuban Pepperlike" tomato; but due to horrible weather conditions, it did not produce a lot of fruit, and those that I did harvest had very few seeds inside.

The tomatoes I grew looked pretty much like the long, pointed ones shown in post #112 on page 8.

Here's a photo of the "Cuban Pepperlike" tomatoes I grew this year.

Kubinskiy Pertsevidnyi

Last edited by travis; September 7, 2015 at 10:08 AM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2015   #129
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

I second the nice person comment. I would also add that Newfoundland is an amazing place full of the friendliest people on Earth that i have met. It also boasts breathtaking natural beauty, with Grosse Morne and Terra Nova being two of my favourite Canadian National Parks to visit. I have been to a fair bit of cities and St. Johns is my top choice for a revisit. I highly recommend making a trip there, and with the Canadian dollar back to "Northern Peso" status, its very affordable.

If you do go, pack lots of warm and wet weather gear, watch out for the moose on the roads, and drink with the locals at your own risk .

Mark, who has his official "Screeched In" certificate.

Last edited by MendozaMark; September 7, 2015 at 10:12 AM. Reason: poor English as usual
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2015   #130
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
While I freely admit that I occasionally (snicker) suffer from senior moments, I do not at this time recall creating a tomato named Snickers.
Bill, that's what I was told not too long ago and that "your" Snickers is a cherry.
Old September 7, 2015   #131
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Space Snickers
Snickers in Space (makes me think of Pigs in Space...muppet show)
Deep Snicker Space

Old September 7, 2015   #132
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm I googled and found this Snickers at Marianna's Seeds, a golf ball sized orange salad tomato. Nothing like the warped - deep space - moose face - black paste fruit we loved to snicker at.

https://www.mariannasheirloomseeds.c...rs-detail.html
Old September 7, 2015   #133
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Hmmm I googled and found this Snickers at Marianna's Seeds, a golf ball sized orange salad tomato. Nothing like the warped - deep space - moose face - black paste fruit we loved to snicker at.

https://www.mariannasheirloomseeds.c...rs-detail.html
Moose face would be a good name or Bullwinkle !
Old September 10, 2015   #134
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Yet again it is producing better than almost everything. Handles the heat well. However, mine are somewhat different than year 1. So I may have a bee cross this year. Or possibly Marinas first seeds to me were bee cross. Hard to say for sure.

Still a great sauce tomato though.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2015   #135
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Yet again it is producing better than almost everything. Handles the heat well. However, mine are somewhat different than year 1. So I may have a bee cross this year. Or possibly Marinas first seeds to me were bee cross. Hard to say for sure.

Still a great sauce tomato though.
Scott, there is a possibility that it was a cross to begin with... as I've mentioned before, originally the seeds were supposed to be of Chernyi Ispolin, which is a dark beefsteak.

I see Bower's fruits are a different shape than mine were... his are not as pointy and have a somewhat pear-ish shape to them