Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 9, 2010   #16
Talon1189
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by no charge View Post
Hope it holds up for ya Timmah, here's how I solved the weight problem:

Cowlick BW:

Can't wait for ripeness : )

no charge

Awesome setup there A telephone pole for every 4 or 5 plants? You must be very ambitious to build all that Great job >>>>>>>>>>Talon
Old July 9, 2010   #17
no charge
Tomatovillian™

Actually they are landscape ties set in 10' intervals, with 11 plants between. The plants will grow over the top (bout 6 1/2') and start back down. Lots of weight once loaded with fruit, hence the T-Posts.

no charge
no charge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2010   #18
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

That's is indeed an awesome setup you have there. If it weren't for the plants, I'd think you were venturing into the telecommunications field. =D Will be nice to see more pictures as the season develops. I'm thinking you'll need to form an expedition to gather tomatoes later in the season.
Those Brandywines are getting nice and big. I'm thinking 3' between my Brandywine next season as big as their getting without pruning.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2010   #19
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

no charge,

Can you tell/show me more? It looks like you have a line running from the “T” brace down to the plants or do you have a line running across the top and then drop lines down for each plant?

Plus, is that a drip irrigation system using PVC?

Quote:
Actually they are landscape ties set in 10' intervals, with 11 plants between. The plants will grow over the top (bout 6 1/2') and start back down. Lots of weight once loaded with fruit, hence the T-Posts.

no charge
Old July 9, 2010   #20
no charge
Tomatovillian™

There's a "wire" on each end of the T-posts, running the length of the bed, a single "wire" is run the length of the bed, about 1' above the bed surface. Lines are then dropped (alternating which side of bed) & tied to the wire running along bed surface. As the plant grows, just wrap around drop line.

The watering system is not a drip system, just pvc with small holes drilled in them every 9". turn on hose, water each row in turn.

no charge

Last edited by no charge; July 12, 2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old July 9, 2010   #21
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Now I get it.

Quote:
There's a "wire" on each end of the T-posts, running the length of the bed, a single "wire" is fun the length of the bed about 1' above the bed surface. Lines are then dropped (alternating which side of bed) & tied to the wire running along bed surface. As the plant grows, just wrap around plant.

The watering system is not a drip system, just pvc with small holes drilled in them every 9". turn on hose, water each row in turn.

no charge
Old July 11, 2011   #22
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Wow. No Charge, that is simply amazing!! That, is literally very cool. Man, I wish. I had that set up. How, long did it take you to assemble, and build it?
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2011   #23
nangisha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hope it holds up for ya Timmah, here's how I solved the weight problem:

Cowlick BW:

Can't wait for ripeness : )

no charge
WOW..... you made really jealous. I hope I had land now so I can made one like yours. For now I had to satisfied with my container tomato.

Its my first time growing pink brandywine, and just cut the top and let 8 suckers grow as main stem. Don't know if this to much but planing to made each sucker into single stem (its mean not allowing any sucker grow on that's 8 main sucker).

Do you think possible or I had to down size it ???
nangisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2011   #24
no charge
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrops27 View Post
Wow. No Charge, that is simply amazing!! That, is literally very cool. Man, I wish. I had that set up. How, long did it take you to assemble, and build it?
Thanks RD, you can do it, really! Hardest part, I guess, was getting all the holes dug for all those posts. But after digging only 2 holes (had to dig 24), I went to tool rental place and rented a boring machine (for boring holes for fence posts), with a little help all holes were done in about 3 hours.

But, I sell these tomatoes, average gardener wouldn't need this much, just 1 post for every 10'.

no charge
Old July 12, 2011   #25
no charge
Tomatovillian™

"WOW..... you made really jealous. I hope I had land now so I can made one like yours. For now I had to satisfied with my container tomato.

Its my first time growing pink brandywine, and just cut the top and let 8 suckers grow as main stem. Don't know if this to much but planing to made each sucker into single stem (its mean not allowing any sucker grow on that's 8 main sucker).

Do you think possible or I had to down size it "

Don't know NAN, would seem like a lot to have 8 stems off 1 plant, but may work. I don't let any suckers remain on mine, because I plant 9"s between plants. In my climate (hot & humid) I fight foliar disease's. So I have to have better air flow. I would think you'll have roughly the same problem (with your climate), so if too much foliage, you may need to prune more.

Let me know how this works for you, I would be very interested in your results.

nocharge