Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 21, 2011   #16
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by attml View Post
Thanks for the replies!

organichris,

I planted out on April 7th and got lucky with no frost. Here are a couple from this spring.

Paul Robeson

Mortgage Lifter

Assorted Cherries

Todd County Amish and Chocolate Stripes

Ehhhxcellent! What sucks is I planted out before you did, but the conditions have been adverse. Cool nights early in the Spring causing blossom drop, immediately followed by intensely hot and humid days.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2011   #17
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Our weather conditions been less than ideal, and herbicide damage didn't help either. But still, first fruits from 10 and 18 gal containers been coming in since May 15th.

Noire de Crimmee
is always early, far better than store bought tomatoes, but not as intense taste as some other "blacks", plentiful clusters of uniformed fruit!

Jaune Flamme is a nice surprise for an early variety, with pleasant sweet/tangy taste and beautiful little fruits

Lambada is always early, plentiful and very nicely balanced for such early tomato

Taxi
has been very generous this year with many mild tasting fruits.

Danko, while productive and attractive, somehow little on the bland side...

Dynnye, a winner, 2nd one to ripen from the main garden (right after Black Krim). I usually take a photo of the first fruit, once it's sliced, but this one didn't make it. Amazing, all flesh fruit, very similar in taste and density to the best oxheart tomatoes which I'm partial to. Sweetness, almost tropical like undertones, thick, yet juicy, enough acid to make it exciting, love at the first bite! Definitely will return to the garden next year!

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2011   #18
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Earliest: was again Kosovo of the non cherries.

Most Productive: in numbers was Spudakee. Not sure about in pounds of fruit because I have had some large fruited varieties do quite well with some topping 2 lbs.

Largest Fruits: Gildo Pietroboni, Brandywine Sudduth's, Germaid Red (?), Milka's Red Bulgarian, Kosovo, Hungarian Heart and Lucky Cross. I know that is a lot but they all produced at least one very large tomato and most produced a lot of large fruits.

Best Tasting: so far the tomatoes have tasted much better than most years because of the extreme heat and lack of rainfall so early in the season. I planted nearly 100 different varieties and there are some I have yet to taste so I will have to wait and see.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2011   #19
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I guess so far the tomato that has had the best taste consistently this season has been Brandywine Terhune. The fruits have been nice and large with firm texture but with plenty of juice.

I had a volunteer that made a nice 10 to 12 ounce black tomato that was at least as good, but I have no idea what it is. Among the dark tomatoes Big Cheef and IS pl have been the best.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2011   #20
Close enuf
Tomatovillian™

To my surprise of all my tomatoes taxi is the most impressive.
Earlier than sungold and stupice plus more productive than any other plants. (including cherries) How about them apples? Can't wait to try them.
Close enuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2011   #21
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday I harvested the first ripe tomato--one ripe Sungold. I sliced it in half and gave half to my DH and ate the other half myself. It was delicious.

More Sungolds are on the way. Ripening soon will be Mini Gold, JD's Special C-Tex, BC, and Sibirskiy Skorospelyi. Can't wait.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2011   #22
heirloomdaddy
Tomatovillian™

Best large tomato so far is Kosovo....best cherry is Ambrosia. Although Vince's Chocolate sungold is very excellent. Persimmon gets the award for most output by weight so far.
heirloomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2011   #23
Structure
Tomatovillian™

Default best so far

As has been usual in my house, Indian Stripe is the clear favorite (no ripe Cherokee Purple yet, but I doubt anyone but me will notice they are different).

Crnkovic Yugoslavian has been excellent, but could use a bit more "acid" or tartness. Likewise, with Kosovo which has been outstanding, but could use more tartness.
The single Berkeley Tie Dye was beautiful, but bland.
Brad's Black Heart was great, complex but well-balanced. (pictured at 1 lb 3 oz...not bad for June in central coast CA)

Still waiting on many varieties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6071.jpg (138.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6214.jpg (180.1 KB, 38 views)
Structure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2011   #24
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I was just thinking about how lucky ive been this year to get any tomatoes, not to mention the amounts that ive gotten. From my twenty five plants, I'm getting 5-10 pounds a day right now. That's not much, but I planted around April 7, almost two months late. I actually didn't even start my seeds until Feb 15, when I should have been planting in ground. Then, when I did plant out, my plants were pathetic, little things, only one to two true leaves each, because I had started them on the porch and ignored them. We had some very cold nights in Feb and March, getting below freezing so they did not do well on the porch without protection.
Anyway, for these to be big, strong and giving me fruit now, in AZ, is amazing. Much of my fruit was set after temperatures were above one hundred degrees. I'm still getting blossoms and seeing a small amount of fruit set.
One thing I am noticing is that with this late of a planting, my tomatoes do seem much healthier heading into the heat of the summer, which may allow me some bigger fall plants. Maybe I won't need to replace all of my spring plants with new ones, which is always a crap shoot, trying to set-out baby tomato plants in 110 degree late August temperatures.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2011   #25
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

I've not had a ripe one yet, and I must enjoy torture to have kept on reading!

I have one orange-y almost ripe tomato, which looks to be 10 ounces or so. No idea what it will be, as the labels disappeared due to misunderstanding (co-gardener only grows hybrids, so why would he, or anyone, care about names?). I'd really like to know, but -- oh well.

Will it stay orange or will it turn red? Regardless of color, I won't know what it is unless it's a Cherokee Purple. But that can't be; no green shoulders.

I do have some fab eggplant and chard, which is some consolation. I hope to post some real news in a day or two.

Christine
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2011   #26
Blk_Vegan
Tomatovillian™

The best of season for me at this point is without a doubt County Agent. This tomato is excelling in just about every category that matters to me. Production, size, heat tolerance, disease resistance, flavor/taste. Didn't go into the season expecting much from this one as i kind of purchased seeds for it on a whim. Needless to say that i'm thoroughly impressed thus far.

Gary'O Sena is another that is performing well. It's measuring up to the above categories except i'm not overwhelmed with it flavor/taste, at least on the first ones. Withholding final judgement in this area until later in the season.

Another standout is Brandywine(Cowlick's). Only planted one but it's pumping out quite a few large size tomatoes. None have ripened yet so i've yet to taste one. Looking forward.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg county6.5.11.jpg (107.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg county6.14.11..jpg (74.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg county6.14.11.jpg (85.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg county6.27.11.jpg (141.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg county.6.28.11.jpg (123.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg county6.28.11.jpg (126.5 KB, 26 views)
Old July 2, 2011   #27
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Tonight I ate my now-ripe tomato.

It had a lovely consistency; not mealy at all, which I thought might be the case for a very-first one. Flavor was mild but good.

What kind of tomato was it?

Wellsir... it was round and red.

I suspect Rutgers.

Christine
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2011   #28
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

so far ,,, no question

Amazon Chocolate

first producer ,heaviest producer so far, great heat tolerance, packed with flavor.

hope they are the same next year !
Aphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2011   #29
Suze
Tomatovillian™

On taste alone - and I'm going to keep this short and avoid best of eariy, best of x color, most productive and so on - Terhune has been #1 for me for the last two years.

Edit - my season is done, so that's my "final answer"
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2011   #30
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

My list of best as of now....German Johnson, Brandywine OTV, Anna Russian, Granny Cantrell, and Pink Girl (F1).

We are getting some great tasting tomatoes!
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote