Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 2, 2011   #1
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Default Big Rainbow is a heart shaped?

I'm growing the Big Rainbow for the first time this year, only one plant (fusarium started unfortunately)... But it does have good amount of fruit in it.

What puzzles me, that every one fruit is a distinct heart shape...

Never growing it before, I looked up the photos on the net, and the coloring is correct, splotches are of colors are there and appears to be correct as well. This are the earliest fruits... Next clusters have even more pronounced nipples at the base.

Anyone else experienced this with the Big Rainbow? Seeds were commercial, don't remember the brand name (from Wegman's seed stand)

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2011   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

You've either got a mix up, a mislabel, or a cross.....looks like Orange Russian 117.
Old July 2, 2011   #3
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Big Rainbow for the first time too, but it'll be awhile yet before I get to see the shape of the fruit. My seed came from a Ferry-Morse pack. I know the Wegman's stores up here have a Ferry-Morse seed rack and SSE too.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2011   #4
mtbigfish
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
You've either got a mix up, a mislabel, or a cross.....looks like Orange Russian 117.
Gotta agree w Craig - the colors are right for big rainbow - a gold red bi-color which orange russian 117 is but B R should be a beefsteak - not a heart or strawberry shaped like o r 117
mtbigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2011   #5
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for your feedback, appreciate it!

I was planning on growing OR117, but ended up skipping it this year, so from orange/yellow large fruits, Big Rainbow was the only one (I don't think I Polish Pastel or Little Lucky would be a contender for those on the picture ... )

So, one of the two, I guess, cross or stray seed...

Will try it again next year to see if there is any variation or differences compare to this year...

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote