Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old October 26, 2008   #1
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Default Sungold X CP: Any Interested

I made this cross last fall and grew 5 seedlings out. What I have seen is very promising. Flavor: 3 out of 5 superb, less sweet(still sweet) than sungold but much more complex. Color 3 red: 2 orange. Size: 1-2 ozs, much bigger than sungold. I will continue to work on the F2s from the ones with superb flavor, but probably will not get around to sowing any more of the F1 seeds for a while. If anyone is seriously interested in persuing this cross with the aim of getting some intense OP cherry varieties from orange to purple in color let me know, and we can start this project. What I want is to distribute the rest of my F1 seeds and get back seeds from the good ones. So if anyone is intersted, post here or PM me and we can figure out how to procceed. Thanks.
Old December 7, 2008   #2
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

I'm in. I was planning on trying some Sungold crosses this summer, this will give me a headstart. I'm in southern Minnesota.

Mark
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2008   #3
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

hi -
I have some space this year and could grow some out. I'll send you a PM. Sounds like an interesting cross.
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2009   #4
Vince
Tomatovillian™

The seeds are going out tommorow.

For the moment we will just call the F2 plants coming from seed I saved over the summer red (a and b) orange (a and b).

The Following TV members are participating in this grow out

vince_chemist: F2 orange b and red a (largest), F3 (Brown from F2, red a), F3 (small Brown from F2, red a)

amideutch: F1 and F2 red a (largest)

gssgarden: F1 and F2 red b (best tasting red)

johno : F1(zero germination)

goodwin: F1

hasshoes: F1 and F2 red b (best tasting red)

Matereater: F1

Frogsleap: F1 and F2 orange a, F3 (Brown from F2, red a)

TheClaw: F2 (red b best tasting), F3 (Brown from F2, red a)

Moonglow: F2 red a, F3 (Big Bicolor, saved from 3oz orange bicolor orange b F2),

The orange F1 fruits actually had bicolor tendancies so those who get orange F1s this year may see the same.

Last edited by Vince; July 29, 2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: updated
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2009   #5
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Vince-sounds like a good project-please keep us informed on this.
Old January 1, 2009   #6
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Wish I saw this post earlier...

I think I am already over my head with various crosses growouts scheduled for 2009. I would have liked to grow a dozen of F1s or F2 for this one... Darn. This one is VERY interesting, and I am sure a few outstanding varieties will come out of it.

Vince, is there any way I could sign up for this project in 2010? Pls keep me in mind if this effort continues!

I'll be watching the updates. Good luck!!!

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2009   #7
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Tania,

sounds good, 2010 it is.

Vince
Old January 2, 2009   #8
matereater
Tomatovillian™

If you're still looking for more volunteers I have room to try a few plants.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2009   #9
Vince
Tomatovillian™

I have just added frogs leap, has hoes and mater eater.
This project is closed now. I only have about 20 F1 seeds left so after I divi them up between the new volunteers There will be no more.

Vince
Old January 2, 2009   #10
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Vince. I'll plant out whatever you send.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2009   #11
Vince
Tomatovillian™

A little better descriptions of the 5 f1s I grew last summer. 4 of the 5 will be taken to the F2 stage and some of you have received seed for these.

Reds:

(a) larger than the rest. After looking at my notes up to 2ozs. VERY meaty, not like a cherry. Skin a little thick less prone to splitting than the other two reds. Flavor a 7.5, grown in 4-6 hours direct sunlight compared to the other two which got 6-8. Red color lighter, not a deep crimson. What we can hope for in the F2: Browns, Reds, pinks from medium beefsteak size to saledete to verry large cherry(who knows maybe a purple).

(b) saved from an F1 with Superb flavor solid 9. Deep crimson fruits that are prone to splitting and reach a max weight of 1.2ozs. What we can hope for in the F2: superb flavored Browns, Reds, pinks from small beefsteak size to saledete to verry large cherry(who knows maybe a purple).

The last red F1 was a little smaller than red b and flavor less intense, but otherwise a similar description. Will not be carrying this one to the F2 phase.

Oranges:

Interestingly both of the oranges I got showed bicolor tendancies. What I mean is if you picked one of these fruits a little early(1-2 days) there would be red streaks in the flesh every time. At full ripness about 40% of the fruit displayed this charachteristic at full ripeness.

(a) Up to 1.2 ozs, superb flavor a solid 9. What we can hope for in the F2: superb flavored oranges from small beefsteak size to saledete to verry large cherry(who knows maybe a red). Tom wagner got a few reds from crosses involving sugold saved from orange F1s. Anything is possible in this complex cross.

(b) This plant had a stuck seed coat and luckily it came off with some TLC. It was the smallest plant (at 4 ft) before it died from a fungal infection. However, it had the best tasting fruit overall 9.5-10. They were orange to bicolor similar to orange(a) but maintained an intense neon yellow green untill a few days before ripening when they turned orange(exhibited bicolor tendencies also). Up to 1.4 ozs. Very unique taste difficult to describe. Did not have very many of these seed so I did not distribute any.

Last edited by Vince; January 3, 2009 at 12:07 AM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2009   #12
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Vince -
Your F1 seeds arrived today. I'll start them in 2 -3 weeks, and hopefully we'll get 100% germination.
We know Sungold is a complex cross, but I've wondered some about the origin of Sungold's distinctly scented foliage. Evidence of some currant or wild ancestry, perhaps? Have you noticed it in any of the growouts?
Anyway thanks. Should be interesting to compare notes through the season.
Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2009   #13
Vince
Tomatovillian™

All of the F1 plants I grew had a very strong odor, although I didn't grow sungold F1 last summer for direct comparison.

Vince
Old January 8, 2009   #14
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Vince, got the seeds the other day. Will keep you informed. Seeds go in Mid-March.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2009   #15
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Vince,
I also would like to try your crosses in 2010. How tall did the plants get to be?
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote