Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 11, 2018   #31
asaump
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
2 Plants per 5G Mark . Wow ?

When I started testing fabric pots a couple years back, I think we started with a 7G or 10G Anyhow,the tomatoes we end up putting in fabric pots go into 15G pots. It's the perfect diameter for the 18" TTC as well

Come late fall when we turnover the soil in the pots, the roots fill up the entire 15G pot

18" TTC? I'm using 15G grow bags this year and just curious?
Old April 11, 2018   #32
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

TTC used to make 18"
Is they made more , I would buy 18"s as it fits my 15G Root Pouches just fine.

I had some other ones where I have to ~shorehorn~ them into the pot , Ended up using those in dirt and just ran support/string
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2018   #33
asaump
Tomatovillian™

What/who is TTC?
Old April 11, 2018   #34
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry. I thought you knew that that mean. Texas Tomatoe Cage
They used to make 18" supports. No more.
Old April 11, 2018   #35
asaump
Tomatovillian™

No, I am new to all this. I will be using grow bags for the first time this year. 15G for my tomatoes. I've got a year under my belt with a couple earthboxes but I am expanding this year. Thanks,
Old April 11, 2018   #36
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

I've been reading and contemplating on Marks thread ---- he grows in 5G and has doubles in them ?

I'm more a bark medium type of container, but many over here on tomato-ville seem to like soil less prepackaged mixes like BX and stuff (which is my preferred indoor mix). Asaump, I would do some homework on what your soil is for your containers , your plan on feeding them, etc. It's different than in ~dirt~
Old April 11, 2018   #37
asaump
Tomatovillian™

Thanks - never have grown in dirt. Plan is to use the hybrid RGGS. I used the Promix in my earthboxes and plan to set up growbags the same way as EB's as far as fert goes. I'll also set up a couple bags with MG mix just to see if there is any difference in growth. Got a great deal on MG last fall. I've done a ton of research over the winter on this thread and the I-net in general. This forum has a wealth of information. Guess I'll see how much I learned once I can get plants outside and I start producing vegetables (I hope).
Old April 11, 2018   #38
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

MG Potting Mix ? Not a fan either way.

I would consider either ameding it with some extra coarse perlite and or maybe use that and amend in bark+perlite.
The MG compresses IMO quite fast. It's been years since I've used it but I have used it back when I started playing with dirt

Last edited by mobiledynamics; April 11, 2018 at 03:39 PM.
Old April 11, 2018   #39
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdambr View Post
Salt, If you ever come across more buckets you can use 2 5 gal buckets the same was as you would and earthbox. also creates a barrier. Works almost as well and not expensive to put together. There are so many Youtube videos.
or here is a link

https://web.extension.illinois.edu/d...oads/54278.pdf
That is interesting
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2018   #40
asaump
Tomatovillian™

Yah - MG Potting Mix. I'll look at amending 1 bag and use the other straight up. Will be a good test for me to look at.
Old April 11, 2018   #41
asaump
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
MG Potting Mix ? Not a fan either way.

I would consider either ameding it with some extra coarse perlite and or maybe use that and amend in bark+perlite.
The MG compresses IMO quite fast. It's been years since I've used it but I have used it back when I started playing with dirt
Given I'll have about 2 cu ft of MG in a 15G bag, how much perlite would you add?
Old April 11, 2018   #42
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaump View Post
Yah - MG Potting Mix. I'll look at amending 1 bag and use the other straight up. Will be a good test for me to look at.
For sure. IMO, it just compacts and stays wet for too long. It's fine for a season I suppose. Just *mark* the straight version versus your amended version to compare notes .
Old April 11, 2018   #43
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Get the MG Natures care raised bed soil and mix it with perlite you wont be sorry or at least I haven't.
Kellogg's works great too.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2018   #44
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaump View Post
Given I'll have about 2 cu ft of MG in a 15G bag, how much perlite would you add?

I'm not a baker (heh- the wifey does and it drives me nuts) so it would be hard for me to answer in measurements. She does the whole tap to settle the ingredients, etc, deal. For me. it's a bit of this or that.

Go to a local Hydroponics store. They usually have the ~good stuff~ - promix, extra coarse vermiculite, etc. Are you planning to screen it so you're not putting dust it. For a 15G, I would easily see you adding 4 inches of this, mixed in, just to help aerate the the MG mix.
Old April 11, 2018   #45
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Kellogs is a better mix - depending on which line, but I believe they use more bark than peat.

MG in general - hard to advise even on their mix as their is different regionally depending on the wholesaler that process their order.....my bag of raised bed mix or organic compost may be a different fill than yours....