Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 3, 2013   #61
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Of the three plants, one only grew about a foot tall and died, the second one died a few weeks ago without producing fruit and the last one seems ok and is just now producing nice size fruit and only has a few yellow leaves at the bottom third of the plant.
Chris, let me know if you want any of the seeds that I saved .. the pm has some of the details .. I can get them out this week if you want.

John

Last edited by tuk50; July 3, 2013 at 06:59 PM.
tuk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2013   #62
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Yep, I certainly would like seed! Looking forward to the details of your observations.

I will plant quite a few of the Green Z. x Black f. Tula next year for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuk50 View Post
Of the three plants, one only grew about a foot tall and died, the second one died a few weeks ago without producing fruit and the last one seems ok and is just now producing nice size fruit and only has a few yellow leaves at the bottom third of the plant.
Chris, let me know if you want any of the seeds that I saved .. the pm has some of the details .. I can get them out this week if you want.

John

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #63
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

I noticed I have small fruit on the Chocolate Cherry x Sungold f1 plants, and several more flowers. It is in a pot, and it is growing faster than the one in the ground, which has no flowers or fruit yet. The Dr Carolyn x Green Zebra Crosses haven't flowered yet, either. Hopefully more flowers coming soon, and ripe fruit!
clkingtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #64
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

http://s108.photobucket.com/user/tuk...tml?sort=3&o=3 http://s108.photobucket.com/user/tuk...tml?sort=3&o=2 http://s108.photobucket.com/user/tuk...tml?sort=3&o=1 http://s108.photobucket.com/user/tuk...tml?sort=3&o=0
Chris, you can see some of the striping here.. and the plants that are disease free and handling the extreme heat well. The GZxBFT A has about had it as you can see, but we got a few from it that tasted very good. The JxGX and JxSR are later varieties and didn't set as many fruits as GZxBFT did, but they are blooming like crazy and if I can keep them alive till the heat breaks, they look very prolific.

Last edited by tuk50; July 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old July 7, 2013   #65
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Interesting! Look a heck of a lot like Speckled Roman with those wavy stripes and that tell tale nipple. I did not expect stripes in the F1. Were the fruit sizes between plant A and B always that much different? About how long were the fruit on average?

Thanks for the good info. Copied into the pedigree spreadsheet!

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old July 7, 2013   #66
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Yeah! the fruit in the picture are an average size.. we will know more when the heat breaks and there is a good fruit set... its hard to predict fruit size in my climate at the beginning of the season. There are a lot of tomatoes that won't set a fruit till fall because of the excessive heat, so I usually get my largest fruit early since the climate selectively thins the vines.

The pictures don't do them justice... they all have some striping and another interesting thing is the JxGZ B when juice is squeezed out for seeds is red while the C vine juice is pale green similar to a GZ while the fruit is a bit orange looking. These haven't produced many yet, but they are full of blooms and I hope to get a lot this fall. The climate drastically changes this month. We get what is called monsoons starting in July and the humidity goes from single digits to a humid enviroment and occasional showers as the moisture comes off the Gulf from Texas and New Mexico. This drastic change desimates any vines that are struggling with wilt at this point. So I'm hoping these healthy looking vines will set fruit in a couple of months.

Just another side note.... the JxGZ A and B are over 7ft tall and growing.. you can get an idea of the size by looking at the fence post in the row, it's an 8ft post buried 2ft deep in the soil.. the cages are 5ft tall and they are cascading over the top...

Last edited by tuk50; July 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old July 14, 2013   #67
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

The seed is starting to trickle in from 2013 growers (thanks everyone!) and I've been collecting F2 seed like crazy from my own F1 growouts. Is anyone that can grow year round (Texas? Florida?) interested in growing a bunch of plants (5-10 or more) of a single cross, assessing fruit and plants and sending me back F3 seed from each plant in time for planting next spring in NC? I'm full up here trying to get more micro crosses to a next generation by fall!

I'll post another offer for the typical 2014 season early next year.

Old July 17, 2013   #68
bwaynef
Tomatovillian™

Default Chocolate Cherry x Sungold F1

I gave these seedlings away and have been waiting on reports. I got a couple of fruits today. I'm being told they don't taste like much and they're prone to splitting, but both of those things could improve when the rain lets up here. (I heard a report of just less than 9" in 4 hours this weekend.)

I'm going to try to grab these seeds to get back to you, but hopefully I'll have a better report later in the summer.
bwaynef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #69
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Default DCXPBTD and DCXBQ

I picked Dr Carolyn X Pink Berkley Tie Dye and Dr Carolyn X Beauty Queen today.

Both are about ping pong ball size.

DCXPBTD is a tri color, pink yellow pale green and DCXBQ is a bicolor with faint stripes, yellow and almost a tangerine. Both are very pretty small tomatoes. I haven't tasted them yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCXPBTD and DRXBQ.jpg (175.4 KB, 39 views)

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; July 25, 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2013   #70
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Default exerted stigmas

I have several fruit on Chocolate Cherry x Sungold F1 plants, and lots of flowers. Lots of flowers on dr Carolyn x green zebra. The problem is most of the flowers have stigmas that stick way out, some even before the bud opens. Should I bag some unopened flower buds to eliminate the possibility of outcrossing, and then save those fruit? Here are some pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chocolate cherry x sungold f1 1.jpg (64.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (134.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (64.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (55.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (53.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (66.6 KB, 33 views)
Old July 26, 2013   #71
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. I recall a thread about L. pimpinellifolium having exerted stigmas and also being in the pedigree of Sungold. If it's not too much trouble, bagging would be great, esp. if you have lots of bees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
I have several fruit on Chocolate Cherry x Sungold F1 plants, and lots of flowers. Lots of flowers on dr Carolyn x green zebra. The problem is most of the flowers have stigmas that stick way out, some even before the bud opens. Should I bag some unopened flower buds to eliminate the possibility of outcrossing, and then save those fruit? Here are some pictures:

Last edited by ChrisK; July 26, 2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old July 26, 2013   #72
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I hope for some good tasting striped cherries out of those crosses. Gates' varieties don't do well for me while DC was fruit producing machine last year but was mild tasting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I picked Dr Carolyn X Pink Berkley Tie Dye and Dr Carolyn X Beauty Queen today.

Both are about ping pong ball size.

DCXPBTD is a tri color, pink yellow pale green and DCXBQ is a bicolor with faint stripes, yellow and almost a tangerine. Both are very pretty small tomatoes. I haven't tasted them yet.

Old July 26, 2013   #73
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

I can definitely bag some for seed. Interesting about the "L. pimpinellifolium having exerted stigmas and also being in the pedigree of Sungold" I wonder why the Dr Carolyn x Green Zebra plants have them, too...Pictures 4 and 6 are of those plants.
Old July 26, 2013   #74
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Ah, ok. Then hypothesis dashed! I didn't follow which cross you were referring to.

Dunno, maybe that is environmentally influenced? I'm ignorant on this one at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
I can definitely bag some for seed. Interesting about the "L. pimpinellifolium having exerted stigmas and also being in the pedigree of Sungold" I wonder why the Dr Carolyn x Green Zebra plants have them, too...Pictures 4 and 6 are of those plants.

Old July 26, 2013   #75
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I hope for some good tasting striped cherries out of those crosses. Gates' varieties don't do well for me while DC was fruit producing machine last year but was mild tasting.
At least for first picking, I prefer DCXPBTD. Above average but not great.

DCXPBTD~7
DCXBQ~6
But it is wetter than normal. So I will taste test again later in the year.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote