Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 16, 2018   #1
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Default Indian Stripe Pl/RL Need help here!

I’ve been growing ISRL for several years in my garden. Last year Bill kindly offered me the PL version and I planted them and saved seeds. Now for some reason on my packet I wrote ISRL (unless I can’t read my writing). I was very careful saving seeds making sure only one variety at a time was saved, marked and set out to dry where it was not in contact with any other variety..

This year I sowed my seeds and much to my surprise all my IS seeds germinated with PL leaves except one seedling. I am growing it out just to see if it is indeed IS once it starts to produce fruit. But I then decided to sow some extra seeds to verify if I was completely off base.

To date: 12 seeds have germinated, 10 are PL and 1 is RL and still waiting fo the last one to show its true leaves. Is this possible? I am not expert here and like I said, I was very careful to save seeds one tomato at a time, so we shall see.

Any opinions would be welcome.
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2018   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Did you bag your blossoms? If not, I'd say the RL seedling(s) are an accidental cross.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2018   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Did you bag your blossoms? If not, I'd say the RL seedling(s) are an accidental cross.

Nan

It could be that Nan, but it could also be a spontaneous mutation event, they do happen, and in the ovary where the new seeds are being formed after pollination has led to fertilization.And depending on which embryo, yes, only one seed could be involved.

Carolyn
Old May 19, 2018   #4
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I had a similar experience with my Cleota Pink this spring. Tatiana lists the Cleota as PL, but of the 6 that germinated, 5 turned out RL. I thought that was odd....

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I also had that happen this year with Kentucky Wonder and wasn't paying attention when I was grafting and ended up grafting two of the regular leaf seedlings. Right now they are both larger plants with larger and more fruit on them than the potato leaf plants of Kentucky Wonder. If the tomato tastes good then I will save the seed and try it again next year. Usually regular leaf seedlings from potato leaf plants turn out to be inferior plants or crosses that are not stable from the ones I have tried to grow out in the past. These regular leaf plants are some of the biggest and healthiest plants in the garden and they seem to be very productive so they may be worth the trouble of growing out again just to see. It worked out great with Indian Stripe when I grew out the potato leaf seedling that came up.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2018   #6
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Hi all
Nan, I did not bag blossoms. My second batch of seedlings are 11 PL and one RL. The RL that I’m actually growing out is huge - much larger than I remember from my other ISRL plants from the past. The PL plants are also quite large. I will definitely save the seeds from both PL and RL if the fruit is as delicious as I’m hoping. Hopefully if the weather cooperates I can start to harden off and get them planted.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2018   #7
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

I had a similar experience, but opposite results. I grew only ISPL last year and saved the seeds. This years plants are all regular leaf. Go figure?
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2018   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanheirlooms View Post
I had a similar experience, but opposite results. I grew only ISPL last year and saved the seeds. This years plants are all regular leaf. Go figure?
I have never had that happen and I have grown hundreds of ISPL and saved the seeds from dozens of plants. That is really strange.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2018   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanheirlooms View Post
What was the source of your seeds? You don't have to name a seed company unless you want to,but were they from

A trade with someone else?

Did you get them from someone's seed offer?

When you grew ISPL last year what did the foliage and fruits look like since that really is important?

I agree with Bill that what you got is very strange.

After all,I'm the one who got the original ISRL from Donna Nelson,and it was Bill who found the PL variant.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Indian_Stripe

I see that Tania in the above did not refer to Bill's PL variant,and she also did not say why I chose Indian Stripe instead of Indian Zebra, and I notified her about that as well.

Carolyn