Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old November 19, 2015   #16
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Muddy, Have you tried posting this in the Wanted or Trade forums? You'll probably have better luck with your request there. Good luck with your search!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2016   #17
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to know your container medium too. I've tried to get eggplant started several times this year. I started seeds back in Feb and recently bought transplants from different sources. After they go in the ground they go downhill fast. Light green and sickly. It might be the rain, but one in a container is also barely hanging on. The odd thing is they looked fine in their little plastic 4 inch home.

- Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyBuckets View Post
Hi All

Epic eggplant failure last season with Black Beauty (3 nursery plants) in my raised beds. Not sure of the problem but perhaps too wet and not enough sun. Plants seemed stunted, flowered some but fruit never set. I am in the NC Piedmont on the line of NC and SC, zone 7b) Any advice appreciated.

Will try in 3 and 5 gallon buckets next season and would like any advice as to container media that works for you. Also, am looking for a few seeds of a variety of successful and early eggplant. From my research I have found the following of interest if you have any seeds to spare:

Lavender Touch
Peng Tung
Rosa Bianca
Florida Market
Listada de Gandia
Kamo
Italian White
Round Mauve
Japanese Millionaire
White Beauty

I have Serrano, Yellow Bhut, Rooster Spur, Jumbo Jalapeno and Mexibell pepper seeds (open polinated) to trade if you are interested. Send PM for info.

Thanks in advance for advice and any kindness on the seeds.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2016   #18
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I've rarely seen such a difference between a plant grown in the ground vs a black container as I've seen with eggplant and sweet peppers.

I have the eggplant in 5 gallon grow bags in a mix of commercial potting mix and composted cow manure. That's it - I do feed weakly each week or so - once it gets warm, the plants just shoot up and my yields are impressive. I end up watering essentially daily as well.
Old June 5, 2016   #19
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
I've rarely seen such a difference between a plant grown in the ground vs a black container as I've seen with eggplant and sweet peppers.

I have the eggplant in 5 gallon grow bags in a mix of commercial potting mix and composted cow manure. That's it - I do feed weakly each week or so - once it gets warm, the plants just shoot up and my yields are impressive. I end up watering essentially daily as well.
Agreed. Eggplants love the warmer soil in containers. The difference is night and day compared with eggplants in the ground.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote