Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 7, 2016   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default 2016 Dwarf Project closed until late fall after results are in

For those of you who missed the fun last year (due to my "sabbatical", or just needed to take a breather) - or, you just found Tomatoville and want to jump into the fray - check out the post here.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39271

I've made good progress in outlining our targets - check that thread, and if you want to jump into the fray, post on that thread.

We are now jumping into pastes, cherries, and more stripes - as well as unusual foliage. Then there is work to complete some really promising leads. See you in the thread!

If you are interested, please post in the thread linked above - this post should be considered a news item only.
Old May 28, 2016   #2
shule1

I'm growing out a whole bunch of Husky Cherry Red F3 plants from two good-tasting, long-keeping, and early F2s I got last year. They didn't split like the F1; one was very sweet and the other was super tomatoey but not sweet (the lack of sweetness may be because it was grown in the shade). The F1 is said to be a dwarf indeterminate. It doesn't look like a tree-type, though. It's just a small tomato plant. It's indeterminate, but it grows slowly and fruits continually. I don't know how dwarf-like my F3s will be, since the F2s I saved seeds from were less dwarf-like than the F1, but many of them look dwarf-like so far.

Have you used the Payette tomato in the project at all? It looks like it has potential, and it's a hardly known variety, bred in Parma, Idaho (and resistant to Curly Top Virus). I don't know if it's a dwarf; they say it's determinate, early, has rugose foliage, and produces 3" tomatoes over a long season. The plants so far look pretty cool, and kind of dwarf-like. We'll see what happens. I wonder what a cross between it and New Big Dwarf (which I'm also growing) would be like.

Maybe I wasn't supposed to reply to this thread. I don't know. I was just being conversational, though (not meaning to join the project, per se).

Last edited by shule1; May 28, 2016 at 05:15 AM.
Old May 28, 2016   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Howdy - thanks for the post. I haven't been around here much the past few months - just trying to balance a whole bunch of stuff. It was an interesting read. Keep watching what we are doing and jump in if/when you wish
Old May 29, 2016   #4
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Craig I was helping you just one year, sadly my husbands illness got very bad in the summer and I lost all the trial plants as I couldn't leave him alone. He now is in a care facility as his Alzeimers is now in the late stage so I have time now, and a place to grow. It is probably too late for this year but if I can be any use please contact me.

I emailed you when all the bad stuff happened and said I had seeds that I hadn't sowed all you sent me. I offered to send them back to you but didn't get a reply. Would you
like them back now.They are
Tipsy PL orange F6 11-27...13 seeds left
Chocolate lightning F4 Vial 3368 7 seeds left
Sunny F$ Ivory Vial 3283 14 seeds left

Please let me know what to do with them

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2016   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hi Jeannine - so so sorry to hear of all you have been going through, and I am sorry that your question got lost in my own year and a half of chaos (some good, some bad).

I would love them back, but no rush at all. two of those are now releases, and the third is on the back burner.

let me know if/when you want to jump back in, and you will be in my thoughts.
Old May 29, 2016   #6
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Craig, please Pm your address and I will get then back to you.

I am sorry to hear you had a bumpy year and a half too,. sometimes life just gets in the way when we plan things.

The year my husband got very much worse I couldn't leave him alone and I couldn't take him with me to most places so the community garden eventually became a impossible , that summer I didn't even get there to water after a certain time so things just died off. I was hoping the situation would stabilize and I would be able to take John with me later but when I tried he would be gone in a second, it was just too dangerous for him so come the Spring I gave it up.

Anyway, now I am moved I have a garden with some raised beds but I have a super large glass greenhouse and lots of big pots for outside so growing tomatoes for me now is the easiest thing.

Ok so I am jumping in back in!! It will be good to have something to do for someone else I will leave it with you.

Sincere regards

XX Jeannine.
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #7
shule1

@nctomatoman

Cool. Thanks! Where do I go for information about requirements to join the project?

If you're interested in seeds from any of my F4 Husky Cherry Reds, this year, let me know. One of them is flowering quite a bit considering the plant is only a couple inches tall, so far. I'm curious to see how long it'll take to get ripe fruit, and if it will be the first of the Husky Cherry Red F3s.
Old May 31, 2016   #8
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hey shule1 - the key post to read is here - http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=19634

Most seeds are distributed for this season and we are underway. I am going to pass on the Husky seeds right now, but thanks - I am drowning in dwarf seeds and data at the moment!
Old May 31, 2016   #9
shule1

@nctomatoman

Thanks for the link.

Np. That's totally understandable about having your hands full.
Old May 31, 2016   #10
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hey all - we are in the middle of another good season, and at this point, are all focused on gardening and other activities, so no more seed distribution will occur until we get through the work that is in progress. I will open a new thread for people to join in 2017 - perhaps (depending on where we are, time constraints, etc - I am pondering a transition of responsibility - perhaps shared responsibility - since I've been on this job with Patrina for over 10 years...and having idahowoman and RobinB and Linda10 help this year has been great!)
Old April 29, 2020   #11
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Craig my seeds from you are doing so great to the point they are producing Tomates already, that will be needed food during this Covid-19 shout down?

Do I have Your Permission to share your Gray"o for your Project?
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote