Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 29, 2020   #1
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Default Mail from Краснодара

Supposed to Em-Champion, for next season's salsa canning , posted June 5 in Krasnodar, Russian Federation, arrived Fort Worth, Texas today, August 29.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200829_201425.jpg (89.2 KB, 266 views)
Old September 2, 2020   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Mail from Eastern Europe if not air mail specifically coMes on a ship and takes weeks
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2020   #3
imp
Tomatovillian™

Just recently, received 2 different orders from Ukraine, took about 4 weeks to the day but had tracking so I wasn't worried. Thought it might longer, but pretty normal timing.
Old September 4, 2020   #4
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

EM Champion in my garden is a low to moderate producer of mid-sized to very large (very rare, but up to 24 ounces) red hearts, with harvesting over a relatively long season. About one ripe tomato a week from a single plant is what I get. It is the best fresh tasting determinate variety I've ever trialed.

For salsa and canning (processing a lot at once?), you may want to have many plants.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2020   #5
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. Was hoping for good flavor and maybe a bigger one time batch. We have 8 of these currently planned along with 31 other slicers, so we should be able to get a case or two of 12 oz jars put up, one way or another

http://tomatoville.com/album.php?u=6756
Old September 5, 2020   #6
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

EM-Champion is my favorite outdoor variety. It has tasted great and been very productive in normal Norwegian summers. In the hot summer we had a couple of years ago - not so good. Here it has a DTM of about 65 days, and produces until the first frost.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2020   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by decherdt View Post
Thanks. Was hoping for good flavor and maybe a bigger one time batch. We have 8 of these currently planned along with 31 other slicers, so we should be able to get a case or two of 12 oz jars put up, one way or another

Maybe in Texas you'd get more to ripen at once. No matter what, I believe adding one or more EM Champions to other tomatoes in the batch just might improve the overall flavor.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2020   #8
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Ok so I can move a few of them in with the other slicers, and go with a mix of Marglobe and Burbank for salsa, getting to try 3 new to me varieties
Old September 25, 2020   #9
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

I trialed a number of Russian hearts this year and concluded their historical OP varieties are more reliable than their F1 strains. OPs: Danko, EM-Champion, Mazarin, Pink Honey. Hybrids: Amber Heart F1, Sweet Heart F1. Like yours decherdt, my seeds were from SibSad-nsk. Somebody had suggested to grow both Danko and EM-Champion since at least one of them will do well in any summer. That was good advice since although EM-Champion was covered with flowers, very few of them set fruit, while Danko was remarkable, a tiny plant only a foot or so tall absolutely covered in very large fruit. Mazarin turned out to be excellent in the driest spot in my garden and with Pink Honey I tried one from SibSad and a second from Ohio Heirlooms. Next year it will be Danko, Eagle's Beak, EM-Champion, Golden Heart, Mazarin, Pink Honey (SibSad), Wolf Fang and Zest.

Fastest growing heart I have ever seen is Old Italian Pink from Casey's Heirloom. Remarkable.

Last edited by RJGlew; September 25, 2020 at 07:26 PM.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2021   #10
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

These Em Champion first clusters showing some multiflora :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210417_223039355.jpg (191.2 KB, 73 views)