Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 9, 2021   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default A Micro Tomato Update

They’re getting taller and some have been producing. I’ve had to rearrange the eight on the “tall” table, putting the tallest up front, mainly because of the Groovey Tunes and Chibikko overachievers. And on the other end, if the light can’t be brought closer to the plants, one brings the plants closer to the light. A few books under the smaller plants seem to be doing the trick for now. A bit precarious so I have to make sure I don’t bump into them but the plants seem to be doing OK.

The Groovey Tues and Chibikko got put into larger pots a couple days ago as they had outgrown the yogurt containers. I love the chartreuse foliage of the GT and can’t wait to see the fruit as it’s supposed to be purple with green stripes.

L to R: Red Robin (8”x12”) , Lille Lise (11”x12”), Groovey Tunes (12”x15”), Chibikko (17” x 10”)

The Chibikko is starting to put on fruit.

Behind the front row are smaller micros. The Pinocchio Orange (8"x8") seems to be leading that row in fruit set. No ripe ones yet.

In order to make room for some Chinese broccoli that had outgrown the light shelves and needed the tall lights, I moved a little Jochalos to the light stand. It’s been producing even thought it’s just 4.5”x7-10”. It seems to be a lot shorter than the one I grew on the porch this past summer.

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2021   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Looking great

Can't wait to see how Jochalos does for me, but my seedlings are still tiny. I hope they aren't monsters!

Those overachievers are a PITA! My worst one is Linda, and even Red Robin is much bigger than usual under LED lights. I don't dare move them for fear of knocking off the blossoms!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2021   #3
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

godawgs, good going there! Looks like you will soon have a few for your salads .Despite my best intensions to have ripe indoor cherries by the holidays, I only have two pea sized fruit on Jochalos and buds on Pinocchio. We have the same rotation system for getting nearer the lighting; books and foam packing material. Remind me again when you started this group. I have 6 at home, and the day before our blizzard I took a shelf out to my cabin to stretch out and get lots of natural light. They are in self watering Bloem pots. It will be at least another week before I can get to the garage and give them some tlc.

Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2021   #4
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

The Jochalos, Lille Lise and Red Robin seeds were started 10/30. They're producing now and have been for a few weeks.

The Groovey Tunes, Chibikko and Pinocchio Orange (as well as the Birdie Rouge and Topftomate hiding in the back row) were all started on 12/14. They're blooming with just a few greenies starting on some of them.

I suspect that future plants will grow and produce faster when they're out on the porch this spring and summer, soaking up natural sunlight.
Old February 11, 2021   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I grew a variety called House this winter. Apparently, you can grow them in winter, put them out for the growing season, give them a trim in the fall and bring them back inside. I should think you could do that with any micro tomato if it doesn't get diseased...... Anyway, they didn't get terribly tall, and they taste good. So thumbs up to House!

Linda
Old February 11, 2021   #6
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
I grew a variety called House this winter. Apparently, you can grow them in winter, put them out for the growing season, give them a trim in the fall and bring them back inside. I should think you could do that with any micro tomato if it doesn't get diseased...... Anyway, they didn't get terribly tall, and they taste good. So thumbs up to House!

Linda
Thanks for that! I will try that with some of the smaller growing ones. The key thing will be the disease issue. However the micros on the porch this past summer did really well in that department all summer but eventually failed going into fall.

The "determinates" seemed almost indeterminate. They'd put on a load of cherries and the plants would lean over with the weight, allowing a new sturdy sprout to arise from near the base of the plant. When the cherries were picked I'd cut off those old branches and eventually the new sprout would grow into a new plant that would set its own fruit.
Old February 11, 2021   #7
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Sounds great that your "determinates" sprouted new growth!

Around here, if I can keep my containers out of the rain, they don't get Septoria, and are pretty good all season long, so it might work.

Linda
Old February 11, 2021   #8
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I've learned a hard lesson about bringing plants in for overwintering. They stay in or stay out unless I somehow insulate the garage or something outside.

I have read many micros put on a huge flush and basically poop out and produce very little after. Good to know about House, and the trick not

Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2021   #9
oakley
Tomatovillian™

They look great!. I have a few dozen growing and just now have one ripe. Not as ambitious as I had planned with so many fruiting
and endless blossoms I've been pollinating by hand. (I was hoping for a few dozen ripe by NewYears)

Encouraging for the next winter grow. I'm close to four, three stable. Carrot leaf, Angora, rugosa, regular leaf. (?)
First year I've not been up on pics but soon maybe. All under 12 inches at the soil level.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2021   #10
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Excellent reference pics GoDawgs. What you are doing is sure working.

Can't wait to see what your babies look like Oakley!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2021   #11
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

It's time for another update. There are now eleven micros out on the porch and that will have to be it for now as between micros and herbs I'm out of room. There are two age groups, one batch started in December and the rest started in April.

These five were started mid December and are still going. They lived indoors under lights (see previous post on this thread) during the early part of the year and were glad to move to the porch as the weather warmed. I will admit to being lax in keeping notes on how they taste except where noted.

Birdie Rouge

Chibikko

This one is a really good candidate for a hanging basket and probably sprawls the most of all the micros I have. The flavor seemed a bit odd at first but I’m pretty used to it by now and like it. It’s also tied with Whippersnapper as the most prolific producer.

Groovey Tunes

This is the one that insisted on growing at an angle while under the lights and I had to do major pruning back to the upright growth. It has more than recovered. It produces few flowers and so far has put on only two fruits at the top, fruits that refuse to ripen. So far it’s only redeeming value is the chartreuse foliage.

Gelbe Topftomate

This one produces well.

Pinocchio Orange

I do like the flavor of this one; a nice balance with some sweetness.

The next batch was started April 24 so the fruits you see are pretty much the first ones these plants have produced other than a few early birds to taste.

Bonsai

Gartenperle

This one is supposed to be a hanging basket variety but it refuses to lay down so for now I’ve propped it up on the porch support. Maybe it will when all those flowers on top make fruit that will start weighing it down.

Minibel

Orange Hat

Rosy Finch

Whippersnapper

I did this one last year so this is the second time around growing this one. Whippersnapper readily falls over into trailing mode as the one on the left is doing. When that happens, a new vertical shoot emerges, gets heavy and also falls over. “Rinse and repeat”. Very productive. That extra foliage in front of them isn’t tomato; it’s very happy mint.

Now that I've worked my way through the micro seed I have, I've started three dwarf plants for fall; Bonté Tigret, BrandyFred and Bushy Chabarovsky. If I find some nice tasty producers, I might be able to sub some dwarfs for some of the full sized tomatoes next year. That would save some potting soil. And save space so I can grow more!
Old June 22, 2021   #12
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for showing all of your hard work! The comparison pics are fantastic!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote