Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 25, 2020   #1
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Default A Simple Fertilizer Question

TLDR: Using Tomato Miracle-Gro or Texas Tomato Food at 1 tbsp per gallon of water, how much of this fertilizer water should I give to each plant?

I'll preface this question by saying this is my first year growing in raised beds. (I have only used EarthTainers up until now). I have two 4'x4'x15" raised beds, each with an indeterminate cherry planted in each corner (well, 1 is a beefsteak I'm letting have 4 leads...). So 4 plants per bed. I'm really only pruning the cherries enough to allow for air flow- not limiting the number of stems/leads.

I mixed in the recommended amount of Garden Tone at plant out in late February, but now want to start feeding with something water soluble. I have the Tomato-specific Miracle-Gro (the red stuff) and waiting on a delivery of Urban Farm's Texas Tomato Food, which I have heard really good things about.

Both of these recommend a concentration of 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water. And I am considering alternating between the two, feeding once every 7 days. So MG week 1, TTF week 2, MG week 3, TTF week 4, etc...

My Question: How much of this fertilizer water should I give to each plant? A full gallon? Half a gallon? Enough to saturate the entire bed? I never really had to think about this in the past with the self watering containers.

Thanks for any input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200424_145744.jpg (244.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 20200424_145810.jpg (308.8 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 20200424_145917.jpg (243.1 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by lapk78; April 25, 2020 at 10:27 PM.
lapk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2020   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I go with 1-2 gallons per established plant at least ever two weeks. I try to apply it when the soil is already well moistened, but at least a few days before any heavy rains.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2020   #3
QAGuy
Tomatovillian™

I will be doing mine weekly just like I always have done.

The amount depends on how big the plants are. I'd give yours a gal each right now spread all around the plant. Basically soak the entire bed.

Tomato plants can send roots for 3 ft in each direction
Old April 26, 2020   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

From the size of those plants I would say at least a gallon of TTF. If the beds are really well soaked from a good rain then up the concentration of TTF to at least 4 tsp per gallon. I usually go with an ounce if the ground is fairly wet to stop from over diluting and adding too much water to the bed but I will use less than a gallon of the mix depending upon how healthy the plant looks.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote