Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 1, 2020   #1
MSchep
Tomatovillian™

Default Tale of Two Tomatillo Seedlings - help?

Anyone have any guidance on what could be going on with one of my two Toma Verde Tomatillo seedlings? These two have been side by side since i started them from seed 6 weeks ago (inside, under lights, on a warming pad), but the one on the right is thriving, while the one on the left is struggling (I'm calling him Left Shark, ).

I'm getting ready to plant them outside, but worried about Left Shark, since i've read that Toma Verde only does well in pairs.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5960.jpg (219.3 KB, 112 views)
MSchep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2020   #2
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

check for aphids. curly leaves are a good indicator there are a few underneath the leaf. I found a little colony of aphids on one leaf in my greenhouse today. I have 50 tomatoes in 3 gallon pots and it is the only one I noticed a curly leaf on and under that leaf those little buggers were.
Old April 2, 2020   #3
MSchep
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the quick reply! Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you, as work got in the way of my gardening, which always stinks.

I took a look at all the leaves on Left Shark, and can't find any bugs, so I'm not sure. Right Shark is still cruising right along, even starting several buds!

I'm going to go ahead with plant-out tomorrow, and keep an eye on them. I've started a few seeds again as back up, but since Right Shark is already blooming, I hope Left Shark can get its act together!!

Any other insights/suggestions are welcome!
Old April 4, 2020   #4
James_57
Tomatovillian™

A little to much sun during hardening off. not sure one would have and not the other.
James_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2020   #5
MSchep
Tomatovillian™

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'm happy to report that both plants have now outgrown whatever it was, though I never did figure out the cause.