Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 10, 2020   #16
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I highly recommend EM-Champion, which has done well outdoors here in southern Norway. The yield is very good, and it tastes great.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2020   #17
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
I highly recommend EM-Champion, which has done well outdoors here in southern Norway. The yield is very good, and it tastes great.
Steve

Mine is doing very well here in Central Indiana, grown in an EarthBox. Probably not quite so bushy as most of the dwarfs I've grown. Tastes good! Pretty early -- about a week later than Dwarf Pink Passion. Generally med-large fruit. Mostly 6-9 oz, some as high as 12-13 oz. Meaty, with not many seeds. Small core. Shows some leaf curl, but not too bad. Minor radial cracking (most are crack-free thus far). Glad I grew it and will grow again. First fruits were "pointy", but later ones are more blunt. Some sun scald on exposed fruit. Overall this is an "8" on my scale.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2020   #18
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Nice review Greatgardens .

My EM Champion is growing well and put out a million flowers. It already has some large blushing fruit and is well ahead of many of the cherry varieties that I'm growing! I can't wait to taste it .

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; July 21, 2020 at 11:46 AM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2020   #19
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Akmark, are you looking for slicer determinates or any determinates with good flavor and production? I am growing 3 hybrids... primo red., bhn589 and red duece. all large slicers excellent production and taste like tomatoes. I will try to get a picture later. off to the doctor with my MIL right this moment.
Old July 21, 2020   #20
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Akmark, are you looking for slicer determinates or any determinates with good flavor and production? I am growing 3 hybrids... primo red., bhn589 and red duece. all large slicers excellent production and taste like tomatoes. I will try to get a picture later. off to the doctor with my MIL right this moment.
How does Primo Red and Red Duece compare to BHN589 in taste/everything else?

I've grown BHN589 last season ('19-20) and my plants stayed very productive with large tomatoes though out the entire season. I had expected being determinate I would get a bunch of tomatoes and then the plant would die which has not been the case with Defiant, and Mountain Fresh Plus.

My season starts Sept 1.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2020   #21
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I personally can't tell the difference between red deuce and BHN589 once they are picked. the plants are different sizes and they are both nice large red tomatoesnice texture nice flavor.. I don't like primo reds shape. it is almost a nice tomato except for a very pointy blossom end. I do not like that.
Old July 23, 2020   #22
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I personally can't tell the difference between red deuce and BHN589 once they are picked. the plants are different sizes and they are both nice large red tomatoesnice texture nice flavor.. I don't like primo reds shape. it is almost a nice tomato except for a very pointy blossom end. I do not like that.
Thanks for feedback. I will stick with BHN589 over the other two you mentioned.
Old July 23, 2020   #23
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks, I will try those out next season. I grow some of the Saraev Collection as well as Sasha's Altai outside up here. The greenhouses are rocking this year, I have several new stable varieties I am getting ready to unleash. A new red one, a orange, a couple with stripes,a yellow, and an awesome pink, one large one small. Life is good with tomatoes.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2020   #24
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Life is good with tomatoes.
Glad to hear your season is going so well. Any pictures?
Old July 24, 2020   #25
Canehdian
Tomatovillian™

I am growing one that was a random gift a vendor sent me to trial that was labeled "I-3". I think I have seen it in a Saraev list Andrey put up at one time on an old thread, but holy popping flavour. Intense without being too sharp. Growing a couple this year and will save more seeds. Trying EM Champion this year. It's doing wonderfully and is prolific. If the taste is up to snuff will be a total keeper.
Canehdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2020   #26
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdian View Post
I am growing one that was a random gift a vendor sent me to trial that was labeled "I-3". I think I have seen it in a Saraev list Andrey put up at one time on an old thread, but holy popping flavour. Intense without being too sharp. Growing a couple this year and will save more seeds. Trying EM Champion this year. It's doing wonderfully and is prolific. If the taste is up to snuff will be a total keeper.
If it is I-2 then it may be the Saraev variety. I grew that in 2016 and it was not that great here. The two Saraev I settled on here are 0-33 & Druzhnya. 0-33 is great every year, and Druzhnya in most years, although it always ends up with concentric splitting.

I am growing a bunch of Russian hearts this year: Amber Heart F1, Danko, EM-Champion, Mazarin, Pink Honey (sibsad-nsk.ru), Pink Honey (Ohio Heirlooms), and Sweet Heart F1 (RU). Danko is doing best, followed by Mazarin which is living up to its reputation for working well in dry locations. All the fruit is still very green. EM-Champion & Pink Honey (sibsad-nsk.ru) are doing well, but definitely not leading. Pink Honey (Ohio Heirlooms) has more foliage & less fruit than sibsad. I must say the Russian hybrids are a disappointment so far, except for Red Army F1, which is not a heart. With my Russian OP hearts I made a mistake by leaving the seedlings in 2" square pots too long and they became very root bound, then took a long while to get going in the garden. Next year I'll get them into bigger pots earlier.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2020   #27
Canehdian
Tomatovillian™

Oh, maybe its not a Saraev then. I had mixed results with the other Saraevs I tried too. So, whatever it is that I have, let me know if you want seeds, or even a fresh one, since we live in the same city RJGlew. Got whacked by the hailstorm tonight, though. I'll review the damage tomorrow, but mine are tight against the house and are usually OK. Hearts are the hardest to grow I find, but I've had a pretty good Budenovka pink before and you may like Tsar Kolokol.

Last edited by Canehdian; July 25, 2020 at 01:14 AM. Reason: minor correction
Canehdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2020   #28
bower
Tomatovillian™

I will have to get seeds of EM Champion, as it has been highly recommended by all growers!

I'm doing a regrow of Petrusha Ogorodnik this year which I got from Marina. That is a productive pink paste type tomato with great taste when cooked.

We really liked Altajskiy Urozajnij but got different results in greenhouse vs outdoor grow. The greenhouse was super productive but not as tasty (maybe too much watering) while the outdoor produced fewer but really delicious fruit.

I am still working on breeding determinates but don't have the size you're looking for. Got two yellow determinates in my F3 this year so fingers crossed for the taste I wanted, if so I don't care about the size. Really not liking growing indets again this year, it's a big chore waiting to happen. Last year with all determinates was a breeze!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2020   #29
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

One from one of Carolyn's offers a few years ago that has become a staple in my garden is Siberskiy Skorospelyi. I grow very few determinates among my 350 varieties, but that one has earned its keep. I just picked a ripe one yesterday, among the first to ripen. And, they're tasty!
Old July 27, 2020   #30
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I went out and did a taste test right in the high tunnel... hands down the BHN 589 are the tastiest... a little sweeter than the red duece. red duece and BHN 589 look alike. Primo red and red duece taste alike. that said... I don't like the primo red for their shape or the plant itself. very short determinate. always wilty looking too.