Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 13, 2020   #16
Bio-Ag-Guy
Tomatovillian™

I live in South Fla. And have been been growing tomatoes, broccoli, and beans in the ground, in the same plots ( no rotation ) for many years. My tomatoes started to suffer from disease and RNK progressively worse each season. So much so that I almost gave up and packed it in! While searching for a remedy, I stumbled onto pictures of a guy's tomatoes that were 6 to 9 months old, sitting on his dinning room table and still intact. That got my attention!
So that lead me to studying what he was doing, which was applying a product he produces , based on research conducted by Carey Reems . So I studied that for a while and started to introduce those practices into my garden. I still have RKNs , they don't seem to bother any of my plants. Nor do any bugs or diseases, and I still don't rotate anything. Only caterpillars get on the tomatoes, which is an easy fix with BT. My garden produces better than ever, ( you can look in the past posts of mine for pics.), and I'm still gardening, which is what is really important for me. tandjenterprises.com is the website I stumbled onto and he still has those tomatoe pics on there last I checked, also a lot of info about RBTI. I'm not selling anything nor endorsing nor being paid in any way for my comments. I just thought I would pass along what has worked for me.
This RBTI stuff is very interesting, and has surprised me with many benefits I was not expecting. It is a little complicated, and definitely Not a quick fix , just add hot water and Wa La kind of thing, but works for vegetables unbelievably well. I have a sizeable amount of books on the subject of gardening, and have probably read all the same ones most of you have, this stuff is different!
I was listening to a lecture by Carey Reems and he addressed root knot nematodes, saying that too much nitrogen causes tiny cracks on the root surfaces, and allows RKN entry into the roots, which is the beginning of the end for the plant so to speak. That made sense to me, but I'm not a scientist,just an avid gardener.
One interesting note before I go, I am a truck driver by trade, and while traveling I always pay attention to crops I see. I saw a field of what I thought was cabbage. Then I saw a sign that said collard greens. I grow a few collard greens, but mine don't look at all like what I was seeing. Those collards were big, dark green clumps, the leaves just laid over. On mine, the leaves almost grow straight up. The broccoli I grow does the same thing, just not quite as upright. I can tell by seeing them now what the difference is. It is a lack of energy. When I apply a bacterial tea that I use,with added minerals, and organic ferts., within 24 hours the leaves start raising skyward. It's really cool to watch. The plants also don't have that super dark green over nitrogenated look.
I wish everyone here would investigate some of these things I have tried to share, it has been the best gardening investment I have ever made with my time or money..
Bio-Ag-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote