Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old November 13, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default First Fall Broccoli

Woo hoo! I cut the first head of broccoli today. A nice 7" wide Packman. That variety does really good here with lots of side shoots later.

There will be another ready next week. I started six plants on Aug 11 and six more on Aug 31, transplanting out on 9/18 and 10/11. This one was 56 days from transplant.

After having a broccoli avalanche one year when I started them all at once, I played with staggered plants and like this planting interval.

As a side note, Blue Wind does about as good as Packman. A few years ago I ran a trial growing both side by side. They both made nice big heads and in the Great Side Shoot Race, it was about a tie. That was good info for me because Packman is getting harder to find. If it ever goes away, I'll switch right over to Blue Wind.

I wish I could find a good OP broccoli but have failed to find one that does well so I'll stick with my favorite Packman.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2019   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2019   #3
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

I recall, back when I used to browse through numerous seed catalogues - an open pollinated that many recommended was Umpqua ...... no personal experience ...... but may be worth checking out

https://uprisingorganics.com/vegetab...mpqua-376.html
Old November 14, 2019   #4
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_D View Post
I recall, back when I used to browse through numerous seed catalogues - an open pollinated that many recommended was Umpqua ...... no personal experience ...... but may be worth checking out

https://uprisingorganics.com/vegetab...mpqua-376.html
Thank you for that info! If I can find it among the circle of vendors I order from I will trial some next year.
Ah yes, I see Southern Exposure has some. Yep, I'll give it a try.

Last edited by GoDawgs; November 14, 2019 at 06:36 AM.
Old November 14, 2019   #5
Hensaplenty
Tomatovillian™

Bee-you-ti-ful!!!
Hensaplenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2019   #6
MissS
Tomatovillian™

That is a lovely head of broccoli there. Packman is my go to variety. It's nice to know that it does well down there too and yes, it is getting very hard to find, so thank you for the tip on Blue Wind.
Old November 14, 2019   #7
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
That is a lovely head of broccoli there. Packman is my go to variety. It's nice to know that it does well down there too and yes, it is getting very hard to find, so thank you for the tip on Blue Wind.
Thanks to both of you for the kind words.

It was spring 2017 that I did that trial, 6 plants of each. The heads were very comparable. After the last head of each was cut on 5/16, the Great Side Shoot Race began when I'd cut and weigh shoots about once a week or so. And my memory was a bit slack on the results. Between 5/28 and 6/24, Blue Wind actually beat Packman! Final score: 38.6 oz, Packman 32.7 oz.

More side shoots might have come but the white flies invaded hard so I pulled the plants.
Old November 15, 2019   #8
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Nice Dawg. I haven't even set out my plants yet but the first broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower will hit the garden tomorrow. I was going to set them out today but it was raining this morning and it is predicted to rain off and on all day.

I grew Packman for years but have found a couple I like a bit better. For large heads I grow Gypsy which also makes a lot of nice side shoots and it is fairly early. I also had really good luck with Arcadia this past year. It made nice heads but what was most amazing was the massive side shoot production but it is a little later. I am also trying another one this year called Green Magic. I tried Emerald Crown last year and it was very early with somewhat smaller heads and side shoot production wasn't very good for me I am hoping Green Magic will fill the bill for a slightly smaller plant to go with the other two. With the late start I will have to depend on hoops to ward off the coldest nights and hope they will be enough.

For the past ten years or so I have been staggering my planting dates on many things and the results have been much better than betting everything on just one planting. Staggering gives you a better chance at hitting just the right time for something to do well down here where the weather can be quite unpredictable and it gives a much longer period where fresh produce is available. I really like staggering the planting times for broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce and carrots for fall and winter production and staggering the planting dates for tomatoes and bell peppers during the summer.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2019   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

that was lovely. mine was frozen already. so sad. glad you have a nice crop of it.
Old November 15, 2019   #10
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Staggering also lets you do a little at a time, not breaking your back doing everything in one fell swoop.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote