Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 7, 2006   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Hot Pepper germination results using dense planting

Whew....one flat of hot peppers are now in individual 4 inch pots. Transplanting gave me a chance to record some germination data. This is for 20-30 seeds in a 1.5 inch cell, 40 different varieties, saved seed from 2003, 2004 or 2005.

2005 saved seed:

Germination percentages:
100% - 4 varieties
90-99% - 4 varieties
80-89% - 6 varieties
70-79% - 5 varieties
60-69% - 1 variety
50-59% - 1 variety
25-49% - 3 varieties
less than 25% - 3 varieties

2004 saved seed:

90-100% - 3 varieties
70-89% - 5 varieties

2003 saved seed:

90-100% - 2 varieties
70-89% - 2 varieties
45% - 1 variety

a few things surprised me - that germination in 2003 seed was fine (though a small sampling), and that even some 2005 saved seed was not great.

Another - I always thought that chinense types (the Habanero family) was lower than others, but most of the 12 Chinense types were greater than 80%, and a few at 100%.

Poorest germinating were Rocoto peppers (Orange Rocoto failed to germinate, Yellow Rocoto gave me one plant from 20 seeds) and Little Nubian (for whatever reason, saved seed from this variety never germinates well). Peach Habanero was a complete failure - I obviously did not pick the peppers at the proper stage of ripeness for viable seed (very tricky color change in that variety).

I also had very few stuck seed coats - the variety most prone appears to be Pretty Purple, though misting the coat and patience led to no loss at all.

So - the result of my efforts is 33 flats of 15-4 inch pots on the floor of my garage - as well as one pot each of the smallest seedlings of each variety as back ups.

Tomorrow - on to the rest of the hot peppers and sweet peppers. Then..eggplant and tomatillo - then, at last! = tomatoes!!!
Old March 8, 2006   #2
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Craig...thanks for posting your results. Pepper germination both fascinates and frustrates me.

I started 30 varieties. It has been 3 weeks and in the same cells ( I used 72 cell inserts and planted 5-10 per cell ), I have peppers ready to transplant and just breaking ground.

I had nearly 90 % germ. on Jimmy Nardello last year on 2 yr. seed. This year it was the only variety with 0 %, and I planted 8 or 9 varieties 3 years old, that all did OK.

Thai Dragon continues to germinate one seedling and the package is so old it came from Shepherds seeds about 9 years ago.

New varieties did great except Melrose sweet pepper. Only 1 puny looking seedling.

Standouts that came up with vigor and never looked back were Neopolitan, Aconcagua, Feherozon, Tangerine Pimento, Golden Treasure, Fresno and Tolli's Sweet Italian.

Goergescu Choc. germinated better this year than last when it was fresh.

I will have to get brave and try some of the C. chinense next year.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2006   #3
biermaster
Tomatovillian™

Default chocolate

What is your normal time for the Chocolate Bells? I have a cell of 9 that I planted 3 weeks ago and I have replanted each week afterwards with out results. I did soak in tea and the refrigerator with 2 sets and 1 just planted.

My other pepper varities wer up and now are adding 3 and 4th leaf and are ready for 2nd transplant may go in to my container rather than a 6'' pot. We are in for a couple days of cool weather but should be back to upper 70's and low 80 by mid week.

Just wondering if Chocolate's are difficult to start. I can get them as single plants at one of the big boxes for about $2.50 each and I want 6 so I may try again next year.
Old March 17, 2006   #4
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the idea. I would usually just plant 2-3 seeds per pot and be frustrated when none came up. Now ive planted a bit heavier, knowing its possible to transplant without killing them, and Im much happier with peppers :-)
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote