Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 21, 2011   #1
tomatoaddict

Default Bowen Buckeye and Roselawn Buckeye

Does anyone have any info on these varieties. I saw them on a European search engine. It says that Bowen Buckeye is from the U.S. and Roselawn is from Australian. I did a google search on Google U.S. and Google Australia and couldn't find anything. Any info is appreciated.
Old September 21, 2011   #2
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Never heard of those but I grew one called Buckeye state from Victory this summer.

Last edited by lurley; September 21, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Terry,both are at Ventmarin.

I'm too lazy and tired to cut and paste but in general here's what's said:

Bowen Buckeye, developed in Queensland, Australia about 1920.

Roselawn Buckeye, developed in Australia a partir de Bowen Buckeye from the USA.

So translate the a partir part and see if it makes sense.

It sounds to me like one or both of those got to the US and were offered in some of the older seed catalogs in the 20's and 30's.

And of course there's a blurb, in French, for both of them at Ventmarin. I don't usually revert to tranlation there b'c most of what I want to know about a variety I can usually figure out from knowing the French words for such descriptions.

As for seeds if that's what you're looking for, I haven't a clue. No doubt both varieties are extinct by now. I can also check my 1939 Michigan Bulletin for both but that isn't going to give me any seed source. And even checking back SSE Yearbooks won't help either.

So what's your take on these and why your interest and what seed site in Euorope did you see them b/c that may be an important clue? If it was Tomodori you would have been referred to Ventmarin, I'm sure. Just me wondering and being curious .
Old September 21, 2011   #4
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Neither has ever been listed in the SSE Yearbook.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2011   #5
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

It all comes down to this - the last two tomatoes that tomatoaddict has not yet tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
So what's your take on these and why your interest and what seed site in Euorope did you see them b/c that may be an important clue? If it was Tomodori you would have been referred to Ventmarin, I'm sure. Just me wondering and being curious .
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2011   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
Neither has ever been listed in the SSE Yearbook.
I did look in some older Yearbooks at first and then decided to go to VEntmarin when Terry cited seeing it at a European site and was glad to find both at Ventmarin.

He must sit at his computer all the time writing down the names of varieties he doesn't already have in his data base and when I was looking I found he also now lists some numbered varieties I'd not seen before that appear to be accessions from breeding lines, at least to me they did, and there was no info for them at all.

Andrey has warned that not all at Ventmarin is correct, and that's no doubt true of any such data base but over time I've find Ventmarin to be invaluable, at least to me in searching for not well known varieties.
Old September 22, 2011   #7
tomatoaddict

I do believe it was on Vent Marin. I was actually researching another tomato and saw those and was curious. I think he tries to be as accurate as possible but with a data base, and dealing with thousands of tomatoes it's easy sometimes to not always be 100%. I think he tries his best.
Old June 2, 2013   #8
tomatoaddict

Yes Fortyonenorth... that's pretty accurate. If I haven't grown it I become obsessed.