Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 5, 2011   #1
John3
Tomatovillian™

Default Where to buy Blueberries bareroot plants by the hunderds

I was thinking about buying about 50 or 100 Tifblue and Climax blueberry bareroot plants (Leastwise I think there called bareroot - they come wraped in a bunddle of so many to a bundle). I understand they are very cheap to buy them that way. I have been googling and no luck. If you know where these can be bought at good price please let me know and post a link to the company.
Thanks
John
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2011   #2
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I know I have several catalogs from fruit plant companies. I looked thru my pile of catalogs and the only one I could find quickly is for Hartmann's Plant Company. They list a web site www.hartmannsplantcompany.com

I've never used them so can't vouch for them at all. but they have a large selection of Blueberries and other berry type things.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2011   #3
John3
Tomatovillian™

Carol thanks for the link they have Climax but not Tifblue. It looks like they want to sell them by ones.
Old April 5, 2011   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Yah, after I posted I looked at the catalog better. They aren't a "bareroot" seller but more of a "rooted cutting" seller from what I could see. But they do have bulk prices compared to the general catalogs.

I think I met them at the Michigan show and they have small plants in flats similar to what we sell tomatoes only much deeper.

I'll try to find some of the other catalogs I know I have here somewhere.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2011   #5
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I don't know if Hartman's sells bareroot, but they offer several potted sizes. I've ordered several hundred plants from them over the last few years and the quality is excellent. My one suggestion would be to buy the biggest pot you can afford in the quantity you require. The first year, I was cheap and bought little plugs and they take forever to establish. The next year, I opted for the 3" or 4" and it was really a nice size.

Not sure if they offer the varieties you're looking for, but they have an awesome selection, so I'm sure they have suitable alternatives.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2011   #6
John3
Tomatovillian™

Carol thanks for your help but I think fortyonenorth has found a good site as it has both the tifblue and the climax. But if you do find another please post it.

fortyonenorth LOL the little plugs are 1.20 each - penny pincher
I see they have the next size 4 - 6 for 2.25@ I think and they have both tifblue and climax. Thanks for sharing this find.
Old February 15, 2012   #7
blokesmom
Tomatovillian™

http://noursefarms.com/category/blueberries/

Nourse sells by the 100's , but they don't have the varieties you are looking for.
blokesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #8
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokesmom View Post

Nourse sells by the 100's , but they don't have the varieties you are looking for.
Man, I will dig up 100 huckleberries for you, if you want.

Last edited by ScottinAtlanta; February 16, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #9
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

arguably the cheapest will be Finch at http://www.danfinch.com/berrys.htm

Look closely at the brochure and you will see prices in the range of $1 each for 1 year rooted cuttings.

By the way, you might want to look closely, there are some significantly improved blueberry varieties available now.

Darjones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #10
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Default The nicest blueberry sellers EVER

Hi John,

I have several different varieties of blueberry bushes all over my property. I have about 15 different varieties. I like blueberries almost as much as I like tomatoes. I can tell you one of the most knowledgeable and nicest vendors ever are Larry and Jenny Martin. They have taught at universities and also travel around the country giving lectures to blueberry farmers. They are some of the nicest people ever and offer fast and great service. If you are looking for some special kinds of blueberries, they will have them. They do offer bulk quantities. They do not have a fancy web site but just give them a call or an email and they will help you. Here is their web site:

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/kyblueberry/index.html

If you decide to go with them, please tell them Jennifer from Connecticut says "hello" and do let me know how it works out for you.

Jennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
I was thinking about buying about 50 or 100 Tifblue and Climax blueberry bareroot plants (Leastwise I think there called bareroot - they come wraped in a bunddle of so many to a bundle). I understand they are very cheap to buy them that way. I have been googling and no luck. If you know where these can be bought at good price please let me know and post a link to the company.
Thanks
John
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2012   #11
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokesmom View Post

Thanks for the link
Old February 15, 2012   #12
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Man, I will dig up 100 huckleberries for you, if you want. Aren't blueberries kind of....Yankee?
I would need to know the differance in the taste between huckleberries and blueberries.
Old February 15, 2012   #13
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
arguably the cheapest will be Finch at http://www.danfinch.com/berrys.htm

Look closely at the brochure and you will see prices in the range of $1 each for 1 year rooted cuttings.

By the way, you might want to look closely, there are some significantly improved blueberry varieties available now.

Darjones

Darjones thanks for the info
BTW - what varies do you think grow here in Ala the best?
Old February 15, 2012   #14
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post
Hi John,

I have several different varieties of blueberry bushes all over my property. I have about 15 different varieties. I like blueberries almost as much as I like tomatoes. I can tell you one of the most knowledgeable and nicest vendors ever are Larry and Jenny Martin. They have taught at universities and also travel around the country giving lectures to blueberry farmers. They are some of the nicest people ever and offer fast and great service. If you are looking for some special kinds of blueberries, they will have them. They do offer bulk quantities. They do not have a fancy web site but just give them a call or an email and they will help you. Here is their web site:

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/kyblueberry/index.html

If you decide to go with them, please tell them Jennifer from Connecticut says "hello" and do let me know how it works out for you.

Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer for the info
Old February 15, 2012   #15
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

John, Premier and Baldwin should be in there somewhere. Premier is arguably the best overall of the Rabbiteye types. Baldwin is later in the season and will extend picking by about 2 weeks. If you want to set out 100 blueberry plants, then you are looking at a pick your own operation. That means you need to figure out how to maximize profits. That in turn leads to finding the larger fruited and better flavored varieties. Tifblue is excellent overall, but flavor in my opinion is not as good as others. Climax is a good variety but fruit size is medium at best. I still have both Tifblue and Climax in production, but given a choice, I would have more Premier.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote