Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 11, 2007   #1
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

Default too hot.....she spat it out!

So my mom is in town for the next 3 days, last night we are walking around the garden and shes admiring my peppers (they never grow good at her house). So we're picking some peppers and I'm like "so do you like hot peppers?". She says yes, so I picked a large green habenero. Cut it in half with my knife, and then cut a tiny sliver, like pea sized. Popped it in my mouth crunched it twice, it was so hot i spat it out. My mom and wife laugh. I say you want to try it? My mom says sure, so I cut her off a tiny peace. She pops it in her mouth and crunches it once and spits it out! Anyways, my mouth felt like I had burned it on hot coffee for the next 20 mins.......Guess I won't be planting 3 of those bushes next year.....
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2007   #2
COgarden
Tomatovillian™

You would be amazed at what a delicious pepper powder can be made with ripe habaneros! When used in cooking you get a wonderful sort of dried tomato and pepper flavor. The heat is all up front, it doesn't tend to burn the throat. I've got to emphasize that it is delicious with food. Just eating it by itself could result in your face becoming a combination of these two !!!

So..., don't assume you'll be wasting any of that scorching goodness. You'd be surprised how many habaneros it takes to fill a small spice jar (or vial).

Kurt
COgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2007   #3
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

I'll have to try that because I have a ton of them from the 3 plants, over 50 turning ripe....

harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2007   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I'll be trying Trinidad Perfume next year which has the robust flavor of habanero/scotch bonnet peppers with much less heat.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2007   #5
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Feldon, here's some I grew a few years back [in center of picture], Trinidad Perfume, Datil Sweet, and Aji Dulce sweet. They have great taste, fruity with no heat. I've got several plants growing now.

Old August 1, 2007   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Fantastic picture.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2007   #7
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

My favorite way of eating fresh habs is to slice one up and put it on a bagel with cream cheese. The cheese moderates the heat and you can really taste the fruitiness of the pepper. For some reason jalapeno peppers give me the hottest sensation and it's all up front and not at the back of the tongue like the habs. The only way I can eat them is if they are cooked.

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote