Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 18, 2013   #1
Akelei
Tomatovillian™

Default TPS germination

Need help!
I started the TPS two weeks ago, light dusted with a soil. No one germinated Should I cover the seeds or better not? Will start a second part.

Thanks, Akelei
Old March 18, 2013   #2
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akelei View Post
Need help!
I started the TPS two weeks ago, light dusted with a soil. No one germinated Should I cover the seeds or better not? Will start a second part.
I'd say try both. But don't let them dry out completely. And look if Tom wrote anything on that.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2013   #3
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I believe Tom normally says he lightly covers them, I did. I got good germination out of 4/6, just seeing some life out of #5 and nothing from #6 after the same time period.

It could possibly be a seed issue, the one that's doing nothing was new this year. I was going to wait one more week before asking if there were any reports of issues with that variety myself.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2013   #4
Akelei
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!
I started just a few seeds two days ago - don't covered. They germinated after less then 48 houres! I saw the small sprouts today in the early morning. Amazing
I guess, TPS's need light to germinate. Will start new seeds today.
Gunnar - I cover the pots with a transparent foil to keep moist, and lift them up every day for air circulation. They can't dry out.

Akelei

Last edited by Akelei; March 19, 2013 at 02:43 AM.
Akelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2013   #5
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

I planted three different seedlines from Tom on the 20th.....all have germinated as of today. They were poor dog (OP), skagit lawrence X Laverton, and Jacobson's golden red bud X 225677 purple. I lightly cover and keep on kitchen table. I transplant them when only just germinated intoindividual cellsof a 72 celltray....willplant out mid may.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2013   #6
Akelei
Tomatovillian™

Thank you!
I made follow experience - older seeds (from a friend) germinate very rush - after about 36 houres. If covered with a soil, then takes 4-5 days.
I guess, my first seed (not from Tom) was too fresh.
I will plant out mid May also. But now, winter come back with a lot of snow. It's uncommon even for this area in Switzerland. For the moment it's hard, imagine spring

Akelei