Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old October 19, 2015   #1
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

Default Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

Wanted to give these guys a shout-out... Ordered a few cover crop varieties, weeks back. Shipping, packaging, and product, came as expected. They even piggy backed an extra pack of seed. Will shop again.

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2015   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I too just bought from them as i have in the past. What i bought was the Nara Melon. The seeds sell out quick so im glad i got them when i did. I like the weird fruits and veggies of the world and cant wait to plant them in the spring.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2015   #3
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I too just bought from them as i have in the past. What i bought was the Nara Melon. The seeds sell out quick so im glad i got them when i did. I like the weird fruits and veggies of the world and cant wait to plant them in the spring.
This is my thinking as well. There is nothing nicer than growing weird and unusual tasty things from all over.
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2015   #4
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I bought some difficult to find items from them this past Spring. Very happy with my purchases, especially the Paul Robeson tomatoes, they were the highlight of my garden.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2015   #5
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Baker Creek is one of my favorite seed vendors. They carry lots of neat varieties. Also very helpful are the user reviews, and geography info for growing feedback.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It has been years since I have seen their catalog.
Are they still putting the little tidbits of stuff on each page I had rather not see?

They do have a lot of crazy stuff I liked the tiger melon.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2015   #7
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I bought and grew tigger melon. It had the best aroma when we sunk our teeth into it it was so so. Lets just say i put a scoop of mango sherbet on it to make it better. It was not bad just a bit on the bland side.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2015   #8
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Their catalog is a good read. Very good selection and exotics too. The packages are generous, and they grow true to type. Shipping is very reasonable, and your order arrives quickly. From my interactions with them I get the impression that it's a well-run company.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I bought and grew tigger melon. It had the best aroma when we sunk our teeth into it it was so so. Lets just say i put a scoop of mango sherbet on it to make it better. It was not bad just a bit on the bland side.
The ones I had were neglected and grown out in the hot sun in clay soil.
Sugary sweet.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2020   #10
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm having slow or no germination with the few varieties I bought from Baker Creek this year! Mitoyo eggplant took 3.5 weeks to germinate at 50%. Zavory habanero 0% so far. Queen of Malinalco 25% but the seedling does not look like it will survive. Meanwhile, my own saved seeds (pepper and tomato) from 1-3 years ago are germinating at 80-100% in the same mix on the same heat mat, and most other commercial eggplant seeds are also germinating faster and at better rates! Is anyone else having problems with Baker Creek seeds this year?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2020   #11
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

One of their bonus packs is now a favorite pepper. Ajvarski
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2020   #12
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Oh dear! ALL my eggplants are taking forever to germinate this year, and 3 of them were from BC, although I grew their Mitoyo last year and they obviously germinated. Maybe they are old seed? In contrast, my own saved peppers have all come up. I grew their Ajvarski last year and think it's great!

Linda
Labradors2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2020   #13
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I’m not growing eggplant from Baker Creek this year, instead I’m growing Thai long green from SSE. The peppers I’m growing from Baker Creek is Rezha 3 of 4 germinated, Criolla de cocina pepper 6 of 6 germinated, Dieghito pepper 2 of 3 germinated.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2020   #14
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

3 Myoto and one Casper eggplant have germinated now .

Linda
Labradors2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2020   #15
zendog
Tomatovillian™

I love BC for the interesting varieties they've brought us and will continue to buy things from them I can't find other places, but as they've grown I have seen a little loss of quality control in terms of germination and a few seeds that didn't grow true. From what I understand they have many smaller growers providing seed, so some may just not be doing as good a job on proper seed storage or keeping their seed straight. A friend of mine grew 4 kinds of peppers from BC last year and 2 of them were not true. For instance, the poblano turned out to be a rather poorly growing small bell pepper.
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote