Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 11, 2007   #1
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Default OP Japanese heritage veg and fruit

For multiple reasons, I am looking for good sources for veg and fruit seeds with either a Japanese heritage or used commonly in Japan. I know a bit about Japanese food, my roommate post-uni being Cdn-Japanese like many of my uni friends (my uni being the choice of Japanese princes, well one anyway). And my current Aussie gardenmates have strong links and family there.

But I'm at a loss knowing where to get seeds that aren't hybrid for basic veg and melons, etc. Like in China, too many highly skilled people willing to work (and manually!) for just about peanuts have led to what are commonly known as 'Seed Cities'. Lovely for the corporations, sucks for the rest of the world.

Unfortunately, thanks to events of WW2 Canada was not kind historically to those of Japanese origin so heritage seeds for this culture here are few and far-between.

I have been able to locate a few things, mostly thanks to Jere Gettle's Baker Creek collecting. The Cali firms with oriental seeds won't send over the border. And I am seeing nothing of real interest coming from BC (which is VERY surprising).

I have a few Japanese yams/sweet potatoes, a couple greens, some squash and melons. Oh, and some interesting soybean varieties to satisfy the Edamame lover in me.

Please help, anyone. Point me in useful directions, provide names (botanical and common) for stuff I should seek, etc. etc.

Thanks hugely,
Jennifer
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2007   #2
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

I can start you off with
http://www.yuko.ca/seeds/index.html
who is just up the road in the Ottawa Valley from you.
Briefly,
If you can find anything identified with kyoyasai (kyoto vegetables) you are probably looking at 300- 400 year old history- selections have been made over the years, obviously.
Here is a brief list off the top of my head
japanese naganegi (long green onions 1 m tall)
Kincho (west coast seeds)
Shimonita ( think stalks, shorter but very hardy, 300+ year history)
Kujonegi (if you can find it) but the long fat and regular green onion versions are unbelievable

komatsuna- The only indigeneous Japanese vegetable, everything else for cultivated vegetables came from China and improved upon. All other Japanese vegetables came out of foraging in the forests.
(west coast seeds)

mizuna

nozawa

nira garlic chives

shi★★★★ousweet narrow pepper

potatodanshakuimo grown in hokkaidou for 100+years
see
http://www.tomatoville.com/viewtopic.php?t=2918

tougarashihimetougarashi (princess pepper)small compact plant 30 cm, small hot pepper 2 cm

shiso- herb, great on tofu, sushi dishes, green for fresh eating, purple (red) for pickling

gobo- available at Richters, high in fibre root vegetable, grows a metre long

nasu (eggplant) I have a non-hybrid version from the island of Kyuushuu (shinnagasakinaganasu)new nagasaki long nasu

piiman(pimento) pepers small, thin walled green is a standard (non-bell pepper).

It is tough these days to find non-hybrid tomatoes, eggplants, peppers because the large seed companies do not put that information in. If you can read Japanese or get it translated through babelfish(???),
check out Nakahara seeds in Kyuushuu
http://www.nakahara-seed.co.jp/top/index.php
Jeff, who loves to grow Japanese vegetables

[/b]
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2007   #3
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Jeff, thanks heaps!!!

I know Yuko (via e-correspondence). I've had trouble with wrong varieties from her though. Did get Vitamin-na a few years back. Her website hasn't been updated for a LONG time. Will look again. Thanks for the reminder!

Thump to side of head: I grew Richter's Kurume eggplant last year. An underwhelming success. Not the seed or variety's fault though. Will peruse the catalogue again. West Coast seeds? Haven't looked there recently.

If I stumble onto anything historic I will give you a heads-up and first dibs on seeds or tubers/slips.

Peggy's brother who lives there is willing to rout out stuff for us. Thanks for the seed company recommendation.

Jennifer
Old February 11, 2007   #4
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

ninjin carrots kuroda is a great chantenay(sp) sapporo fat (turn of the century)
kyoninjin kintoki

daikon fat white radish, as well as happadaikon (bred it for the leaf part only

hakusai cabbage

daizu hokkaido black, azuki small red, edemame

goya futoreishi, very bitter melon, a favourite in Okinawa

kabochawinter squash, orginally from kampochea

A great company on the north island
http://www.sapporonouen.co.jp/

Where does your acquitance live asI could probably suggest a few vegetables for that area.[/b]
Old February 11, 2007   #5
bluelytes
Tomatovillian™

DOKU,
WHERE is the tomatos??

Regards;
bluelytes
bluelytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2007   #6
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Pete, Peg's bro, lives in (drumroll please)
the heart of Tokyo.

Sigh.

Thanks heaps, Jeff, for all your help!

Jennifer
Old February 12, 2007   #7
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Jennifer,
Have you looked at Kitazawa Seed? They do have a lot of hybrids, but, they also have some Asian and Japanese veggies that are OP also.

If you have a problem with their not shipping to the GWN, maybe something can be done to work around that.

Bob
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2007   #8
bluelytes
Tomatovillian™

JENN,
I called Kitazawa Seed and they say they only carry six kinds of tomato, and ALL of those are hybrids, They claim that japanese heirloom tomatos do not exist.

BTW, I would be happy to order for you, and then forward the seeds to you when they arrive, if you'd like.

Regards;
bluelytes
bluelytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2007   #9
landarc
Tomatovillian™

It is true, the Japanese do not have tomatoes as a heritage food. And they prefer pink and sweet, hence the popularity of Momotaro and it's ilk. Kitazawa says they will ship to Canada, but, any current tariffs and laws will be repected. My family has been doing business with Kitazawa since the 1930's and they are one of the best sources for Japanese veggie seeds in California. My sister also buys myoga rhizomes from them, good stuff in soups.

Bob
Old February 12, 2007   #10
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Bluelytes, that was so very, very kind of you to call!!!!! And what an incredibly generous offer. Let me see what's what and I may take you up on that. Thanks so much!

Thanks to you too, Bob! Don't know but will look up myoga rhizomes as I'm big into soup. Trying to develop the ultimate miso and soba noodle soup recipe.

Evergreen was the other company. I should have checked Kitazawa's current 'shipping to Canada policy'. Two years ago, when I first wanted to place an order, the reply was no-go. Likewise with Evergreen.

On websites checked out first: peppers, eggplants, squash, soybeans...then the rest :>)

Thanks so much all of you for contributing to this thread. You're making quite a few people happy campers with this info.

Anyone know of or do biz with Fukutane Seeds in Japan? Apparently they do heritage. I can't find a website.

Jennifer, who just remembered her adzuki bean collection...big grin

PS Check out Jeff's website. Think that it's linked in the members area.
Old February 13, 2007   #11
landarc
Tomatovillian™

J,
The way we learned to make miso soup was somewhat non-traitional, but, it yields a great soup. The basic is that you use a good strong dashi. for us, that means a large pot of water, say a gallon or so. Add to this three or four large handfuls of shaved bonito flakes. This is to be steeped, not boiled, for for a half hour or so. Then strain the broth through a wet cloth and let it settle for a couple of hours. Draw off all but the bottom sediment and reheat to a simmer.

At this point add miso, two parts shiromiso to one part akamiso. This is to taste. We prefer a fairly strong flavor, so itis more like 2C shiro to 1 cup aka, heat through.

In bowls, place two or three thin slices of myoga, a little finely shredded spring onion, three small slices to tofu and pour over the very hot soup. Cover and let steep for a few minutes.

Bob
Old February 13, 2007   #12
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

landarc, no konbu for the dashi?? Since I am a vegetarian we use konbu dashi for miso.
Jen, I think udon noodles would work better for your noodle dish with miso soup.
Here is a link to fukutane (good luck seeds)
http://www.fukutane.jp/annai.html
It seems that they want 400 yen for their seed catalogue which can be sent anywhere in Japan. Strange they do not put it online for free????
Old February 13, 2007   #13
landarc
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the save Jeff, I forgot about the konbu. We use the big sheet of konbu, it steeps with the fish shavings. I forgot about that.

My sister likes to add hijiki to the soup, I don't much care for it. I never put noodles into the miso soup, but, I have had udon with a miso broth that is quite good. Then there is mizutaki with a miso dipping sauce.

I am not supposed to be eating most of this stuff anyway, stupid high blood pressure.

Bob
Old February 14, 2007   #14
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

Is konbu the same as kombu? I use sheets of kombu (seaweed) in soups and always with beans. Like Jeff, no do fish.

Trying to decide on what eggies to grow this year and stumbled onto this link:
http://japanesefood.about.com/librar.../aa081301a.htm

Thanks hugely for the link, Jeff!!!

Jennifer, who needs to learn characters sooooon
Old February 14, 2007   #15
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jenn,
konbu or kombu...There is only one pure consonant sound in Japanese the nasal like "n"written as "n" in our alphabet. However, before a ba,bi,bu,be,bo,bya, byu,byo or similar p sounds it takes on an 'm' like sound so either konbu or kombu is acceptable.
I find it curious to soak to eggplants in salted water...perhaps just so they do not oxidize, because Japanese eggplants are never bitter. First or second week of August we bring our harvest of eggplants camping. I grill them whole and then use kitchen tongs to peel the skins. My mother in law can peel the hot eggplants with her hands.! A little soya sauce and freshly grated ginger and it is pure gastronomic heaven!!!!
You should also grow some Japanese cucumbers and dip them in a combination of miso and mayonaise, another taste of summer.
Jeff