Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 3, 2019   #31
MdTNGrdner

Ours just got mowed down regularly by deer and rabbits - which I didn't mind since we rarely used it anyway!
Old February 6, 2019   #32
kath
Tomatovillian™

I've tried lots of varieties of all colors, looking for the one that tastes the least like dirt, and the winner for me is Verde de Taglio. I like the growth habit as it stays shorter and "bushier", making cut and come again harvesting easier, tastes good to me raw and cooked, and doesn't seem to be bothered so much by insect pests.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2019   #33
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

That's great about Verde de Taglio Kath. I bought a packet at Baker Creek as I have heard that it's good raw. Fingers crossed that hubby will like it in salads as chard is so easy to grow all summer long .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2019   #34
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I enjoyed Verde de Taglio last year. I also liked Barese. Perpetual Spinach was pretty good too. I found chard, when well watered and picked somewhat small went well in fresh salads when mixed with lettuce. My wife wasn't a huge fan of it. I liked these varieties better than the Neon Lights ones I've grown in the past, but then again I was more interested in eating the leaf and not the stems. I'm trialing some of the 'best tasting' heat tolerant head lettuce this summer from Wild Garden Seed.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2019   #35
zendog
Tomatovillian™

Darn all of you! After hearing about all these interesting varieties, I have decided to add Verde de Taglio and Perpetual to the Sea Foam and Joy's Midnight I've already started. I was going to grow Fordhook again, but now I'm past out of space...
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2019   #36
kath
Tomatovillian™

Lol! Perpetual Spinach and Barese were 2nd and 3rd for me. I thought that the taste of Verde de Taglio was very similar to Perpetual Spinach. I overwintered some greens this fall/winter and the Verde de Taglio was more productive.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2019   #37
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I hope to trial MacGregor's Favorite (beet) this year. Some say it's tender and delicious, others say it's tough and bitter.

Beet/chard opinions appear to be like tomato opinions.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2019   #38
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

My spinach and Swiss chards are up. I like chards better. They have nice texture when cooked. Young spinach is good in salad along with Mesculn mix. Time to get vegetarian a bit...

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote