Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 21, 2019   #2806
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore View Post
well so much for all those blossoms on the plants! most blossoms i've seen on all my plants ever! but the last 3 days of record heat has dried up most of blossoms and they are falling off! BAD MOTHER NATURE! BAD! lol
Welcome to Texas.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2019   #2807
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Hot hot hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore View Post
well so much for all those blossoms on the plants! most blossoms i've seen on all my plants ever! but the last 3 days of record heat has dried up most of blossoms and they are falling off! BAD MOTHER NATURE! BAD! lol
This is why people in my area do not grow tomatoes in the dead of the summer. My tomato season is usually over by the beginning of July. Too hot and VERY humid. Dr. Carolyn always said that high humidity causes the pollen in the flowers to clump and not set fruit.
Old July 25, 2019   #2808
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Today we hit 40 C in Germany which is 104 F. What is saving us is the humidity is 20%.

Ami
Old July 25, 2019   #2809
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Clear star night with first rays of light now showing meaning a frost, though only light on -1.1C, today's high should be around 16C

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2019   #2810
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

we are in the high 80s right now. too hot to be out in the garden. water, weed, and pick
lettuce and greens in the morning or later evening. every thing in the garden is starting to bulk up size wise, and form first fruits. the garden will need a good drenching. good day to be at the beach or in the water. a breeze is blowing, but its a warm one.
water melon, ice cream, or cold drinks all hit the spot.

keitjh
Old July 25, 2019   #2811
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

32% humidity is a dream come true here in God's country.
Old July 26, 2019   #2812
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

God's Country...every state has three counties claiming that!
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2019   #2813
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
32% humidity is a dream come true here in God's country.
Yer but every god should able to claim its own country

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2019   #2814
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Its just an old saying we would say when we were leaving the West Texas Oilfields in Crane to go fishing at Bend Texas on the Colorado river.
The transition from desert to Central Texas can be very fast; in some places almost like a line running across the state.
Old July 26, 2019   #2815
bower
Tomatovillian™

Richard, our high yesterday was the same as yours, about 16 C. No frost thankfully, lows are close to normal for summer about 10 C/50 F. The theme of our summer has become rain. For weeks (or is it months already?), there have not been two days together without some precipitation. We're getting into normal summer temperatures with highs in the 20's or close, some humidex up into the high 20's. Still the abnormal trend of very little wind is continuing, and can make it very uncomfortable on the hotter days - but so far we only had one day like that.

Ami, the heat wave in Europe has become so severe it even made our news headlines last night! 40 C is incredibly hot, hard to imagine the impact where people don't have air conditioning for that sort of high. I hope you're getting enough rain for crops up there.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2019   #2816
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

We got a little Rain last night and the temperature today is 25 C as the front is moving through. Surprisingly the grain crops have been doing well and the farmers have been out harvesting them.
This same front also caused a stoppage in the Tour De France Bicycle race in southern France when it dumped snow and hail on the course until they got it cleared.

The hospitals do get busy when we have high temps as the elderly living in older houses which are not insulated succumb to the heat.

Ami
Old July 27, 2019   #2817
clara
Tomatovillian™

Ami, we got heavy rain this afternoon, heavy enough to re-fill all my rain barrels. And it has cooled down to 19°C - I feel like in heaven after those brutally hot days with almost 42°! During the rain, I had opened all windows and doors to let the heat go out of the house, but it is still (too) warm inside the house. I hate living with a fan...
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2019   #2818
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

In Finland it has been 'only' around 30 C at its peak. Now, the weather is expected to cool down and go back to a normal summer climate of around 15 C ... heavenly.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2019   #2819
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I cant express to you guys how still and quiet it is here at the house.
No noise what so ever no birds no traffic no nothing no wind and 95F.
You would think they were giving out free money some place and I didn't know about it.
I hope you folks over in Europe get a break soon.
Old July 28, 2019   #2820
bower
Tomatovillian™

Worth, it was just like that in my greenhouse yesterday. No breeze to cool off. Went to 96 F in the shade. Tomatoes not happy. I didn't check the temperature inside the house, but it must've been close. Had to close the curtains to keep from cooking without AC.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote