Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 1, 2014   #16
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

Anthony. I personally have been impressed by the Watkins in the fruit production. Also when given space the squash are large when grown dense they are only slightly smaller than average. Somewhere along the way one of the vines caught itself a case of the fuzzy mold which probably happened a two weeks back when I sprayed a little later in the evening than i should have. Quality wise these Are new to me I'll have to write back about that later in the year
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2014   #17
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

I have now ordered many of the delicious sounding varieties you good folks suggested. They will go into the ground immediately. Hopefully, these will cover my centipede grass so thoroughly that I can reduce the area I have to mow. Fortunately it is a short turf grass anyway, but riding that mower kills the vertebrae. With these getting a head start on my Fall garden, all remaining Fall seed will go into the ground in mid August to raise seedlings in the shade where the direct sun only hits in the mid-afternoon on. That date came from our local county agents to raise transplants for when it cools somewhat. For the first time ever, I will be doing the Fall garden without tilling, so the transplants will go into holes I make with a hand mattock, where I killed the Bermuda. For now, in this heat, I just have to pick my tomatoes in the late evening. The heat index for later today is 105 and HIGH humidity. Thank goodness the riding mower is in the shop for a few days!

Thanks to all who helped with suggestions.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2014   #18
nathan125
Tomatovillian™

Golden Nugget keeps for quite a while and i enjoy the taste.
nathan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2014   #19
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Does centipede grass stay fairly short without mowing? If you densely plant your squash, you may get enough shade from the leaves of the vines to keep the grass low, if it is normally tall growing.

I train my vines so that I have some room to walk between them with paths at about 5 - 6 foot intervals. This is so that I can water the vine roots that grow at the nodes.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote