Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old June 10, 2008   #61
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

I put mine with the strings on the ground as I think it holds water better but through all the research ive done i dont think it matters.
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2008   #62
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

The first recomendation was as you have them, I read after I did mine however that that it works better with string to ground, I think it is a matter of preference. String parallel to ground is easier to part and plant in and the other way is supposed to hold more water...I don't think it really matters!
kelleyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2008   #63
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

Yeah what you said.....ha ha
Old June 11, 2008   #64
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

I am going to try it with string to the ground next time! Just to see! All though at present it looks like all that is holding my bales together is the string!
Old June 11, 2008   #65
bate181
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyville View Post
The first recomendation was as you have them, I read after I did mine however that that it works better with string to ground, I think it is a matter of preference. String parallel to ground is easier to part and plant in and the other way is supposed to hold more water...I don't think it really matters!
how are your plants doing with the way its set up?
bate181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2008   #66
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Giz's plants look awesome...head back to page one of this thread and click on his blog link! Mine are slow...but then it is not supposed to be 98 -102 degrees in Georgia in June either! They are holding their own though! I got a VERY late start this year, I have a link to my blog somewhere and you can see what I started with and I will be updating as soon as I remember to put the batteries in the camera!

....Giz am I stepping on your toes? sorry, very bored, nothing to do but answer posts Anyone need an online personal secretary
Old June 12, 2008   #67
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

No problem Kelley I too am on surveilance (drug house) and am also bored....toes not hurt....so ive got time......Bate my plants are doing excellent the last ones i planted bell peppers are coming on strong. yesterday i harvested bannana peppers,zuccinis and yellow squash, also noticed several mater blooms.......
Old June 12, 2008   #68
bate181
Tomatovillian™

good to hear. i start applying blood meal to my bales today. im going to start with my two most ready plants, those being green giant and paul robeson
Old June 12, 2008   #69
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

Kelley is that fruit set from one of your bale plants?? I have fruit set but they were planted weeks before in the ground...Gene
Old June 12, 2008   #70
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

I did not have access to the amonium nitrate and started off with whats just labled Nitrogen, 34%. I got a little icky feeling as I knew this was not organic so the last three days I used blood meal...be careful with the blood meal, it tends to stick and stay and I beleive this is what I burned my seedlings with! if you are using blood meal the whole time I think someone recomended to me every other day instead of every day! I thought on my next bales I would try to make a bloodmeal tea to soak the bales with instead of the organic bloodmeal powder!

Gene, no fruitset on bales yet all though I do have flowers! Also tied a piece of green vege tie to the light pole the bales are next to and today they plants have reached that height and they look soooo much better than that first week! With cooler weather this week I anticipate fruitset in the bales even though I think the plants are too small!

We got rain last night and the bale maters look like they are in heaven!

Kelley
Old June 12, 2008   #71
ChuckBartok
Tomatovillian™

Default OK experts, Why?

Why did my 6 Tomato Plant wither and die within
4 days of Bale Planting..
Too much residual Nitrogen?
Moisture was OK
ChuckBartok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2008   #72
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

I guess that very well could be....the bales could have still too hot...mine have done fine although on my maters with the hot weather weve been having i definatley have to water daily, as for squash they are beginning to scare me they are getting so big....maters seem to be alot more moisture sensitive in the bales than anything else...Gene
Old June 12, 2008   #73
bate181
Tomatovillian™

do i need to soak the blood meal into the bales to the point where its no longer visible at the top?
Old June 12, 2008   #74
ChuckBartok
Tomatovillian™

Default When does one know...?

[CODE]the bales could have still too hot[/CODE].

Is there a simple way to figure when Bales are OK..?

Just feel for heat?
ChuckBartok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2008   #75
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

Yes...on day 10 with my bales they were still quiet warm so i gave them an extra day of good cool water and soaked them good....