Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 8, 2015   #46
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Joseph, I'm growing some smaller orange varieties. I'll let you know what we think of them when they're ripe. I'll grow some in our fall garden too - that's when we have extremely low humidity - often below 25%.

Foods I don't like are wet soggy bread dumplings, and McDonalds. I like acidic foods, but real orange juice causes too much acid reflux. I can drink the fake stuff though.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2015   #47
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I think it all starts in childhood.

I often hear parents saying, "no she/he won't like that," when someone offers a new food to their children at parties or get togethers. The kids hear mom or dad say that and automatically add it to the list of foods to avoid.

Or, someone decides as a child that they don't like a certain food and their decision is based entirely on how it tasted the way mom or dad cooked it. I refused to touch broccoli when growing up because I did not like the way mom prepared it -- boiled to a very soft state. So I declared early on that I hated broccoli. When I finally agreed to try broccoli in a Chinese dish as an adult, I realized it wasn't bad at all.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2015   #48
Mushimi
Tomatovillian™

On top of the whole non-taster/supertaster thing, I've learned that some people are also textural eaters. My (now grown) daughter is one that can't handle certain textures in foods, no matter what they taste like. Probably the only kid ever that couldn't (and still can't) stand things like hotdogs, pudding, and scrambled eggs.

I did tell people not to offer her certain things with those types of textures, mainly because I didn't want her to have to gag and almost vomit in order to be "polite."
Mushimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015   #49
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I acquired 2 more orange tomatoes at the farmer's market:

Orange Cherry
Red Zebra

I passed on Kellogg's Breakfast. I grew it a few years ago. It matured way late in the season. The flavor was OK for a tomato. There were other orange tomatoes at market, but no attendant at the booth when I went by. Boo Hoo.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015   #50
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

I find this all very interesting. As a child, I wouldn't eat much of anything. I was extremely picky. Then I went camping with a friend and her parents, at the age of fourteen. They forgot almost all of the food and the truck broke down at the campground, so we were stuck until her grandmother came up two days later. Her parents immediately went to town and bought dozens of fast food burgers with everything on them. I went from not knowing a hungry day in my life to dealing with hunger pangs for two days.

I learned at the tender age of fourteen that everything tastes good if you're hungry enough. Since that day, I decided I'd try anything at least once. My family hates onions, garlic, mushrooms, and peppers. I LOVE all these things now!

I'm still working on liking tomatoes. I'm getting more into using them in salads and on sandwiches. I know for a fact that I dislike super juicy tomatoes and mealy tomatoes...
SummerSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015   #51
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

J and L gardens has what seems to be a pretty sweet tomato! They only have 1 unit left in stock though:

http://jandlgardens.com/catalog/inde...roducts_id=252
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015   #52
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

J and L has several that they say are sweeter than Sungold:

http://jandlgardens.com/catalog/inde...roducts_id=363
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015   #53
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
J and L gardens has what seems to be a pretty sweet tomato! They only have 1 unit left in stock though:

http://jandlgardens.com/catalog/inde...roducts_id=252
If you or anyone else is ever looking for a j and l variety and it is out on their website try their ebay site. Same prices and same seeds but usually in stock.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #54
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I obtained 5 more orange tomatoes at the farmer's market today.

Orange Banana
Orange Strawberry
Persimmon
Alti Orange
A variety who's name I have already forgotten.

I'm going to whine about the choices of tomatoes available at the farmer's market today. I felt like many of them were totally unsuitable for our climate... Days to maturity on some of them were as long as 90 days... At least on my farm, if a tomato has days to maturity of 70 or more, I can only expect to harvest ripe fruits about every other year... But whatever, if they produce pollen in time I'll cross them with a short-season highly-determinate mother and see what shakes out in a few years.
Old May 17, 2015   #55
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Joseph, if they were selling them for seed, then I would agree, but if being sold to eat, not sure you could complain about DTM? I myself have never bought a tomato to take the seeds. ever. All of my seeds are from you guys or sellers. I have taken pepper seeds, but that is it.

As far as food, I like it all. Very few items that I do not like. Sometimes certain foods give me heartburn, but I still eat them. Too good not to! They have pills for that!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #56
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Give me any kind of ripe tomato (even store bought) I can cook with it with no problem.
Throw in couple of tomatoes, carrots, potatoes in a chicken stew ... some herbs an spices ...
Nobody can tell how the tomatoes taste.

But if I want to slice them for a burger or for any kin of sandwich then comes the taste test.
Or in salad, to some degree. In salads I look for visual appeal. I like a basketful of nice looking colorful tomatoes siting somewhere in the kitchen or dining table.

So, of course, as a gardener , I would rather grow tomatoes that also taste good when sliced or taken a bite at it. That is all the fuss about growing 30 varieties, after reading tens and maybe hundreds of descriptions and reviews on them.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #57
bower
Tomatovillian™

Bursztyn is shaping up to be a determinate I'm happy to say. First open flower at 56 days, which is pretty early. Flowers are small and pretty close to the "industrial" type though. Jagodka in the same conditions hasn't flowered yet but is working on 3+ clusters of buds. When I grew it indoors, it flowered after 43 days, but in 'real' conditions it's already day 54 and nothing yet. Little Bells is the earliest determinate red this time.

As regards the Orange-1 determinate, I dug out last year's data from the broken cpu, and it flowered at 63 days, pea sized set after another 12, and ripe in 47 for a total of 122 days from seed in the cold here. Not as early as the most precocious types but for a fair sized fruit it's not bad. This one wasted no time setting lots of fruit, I was duly impressed. It might do even better in your warmer sunny climate, and tolerate those cold nights.

I'm getting a lot of precocious F2's here this year, even where the parents were not, which I'm very happy about. The earliest from each cross are all ahead of the OP's this time. Haven't ID'd any determinates yet, though... I'll be miffed if I don't get any!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #58
joseph
Tomatovillian™

It's a climate thing... The tomatoes available at my farmer's market today were plants. It's still too cold here to put tomatoes into the field. So there were lots of tomato plants for sale yesterday, that are too long-season for our cold mountain valley, and any fruits produced are likely to be picked green just before the arrival of our fall frosts... So my whining is primarily about the local plant sellers offering varieties that are famous in other climates without paying any regard to how the plants will actually grow for their customers under the local conditions that we experience here.

Besides me, there was another grower offering plants grown from locally produced seed.
Old May 18, 2015   #59
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Joseph, they do the same thing here, *especially* the large nurseries that sell to the big box stores. I talked a woman out of buying a canteloupe plant the other day because they can't be ripened outdoors in our climate. It's ridiculous they even sell them here. I also see a lot of Brandywines and Mister Stripeys from these nurseries, which are pretty poor varieties for this area.

Joseph, do you like cooked tomatos? I came across this article on tomatohaters:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...-and-you-dont/

It mentions there are about 400 other compounds in a tomato that might cause you to hate it besides the lycopene. The lycopene actually increases when cooked, so if you like cooked tomatos it's unlikely it's the lycopene you find objectionable.

Last edited by wormgirl; May 18, 2015 at 11:07 AM.
wormgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2015   #60
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The big box stores sell trees here that will never produce fruit they will never bloom.
Most of them will just say peach cherry or apple.
You have no idea what they are or the chill hours required.
One peach had over 1200 chill hours, really Central Texas below the escarpment I dont think so we are in the 500 to 700 chill hour area more or less.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote