Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old March 23, 2014   #16
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxkeith View Post
...i think she is past buying any more gadgets, but i asked her to run it by me first if the urge strikes her again. keith
If it was only that easy. That sounds like something a newlywed would say.
After 40 or 50 years of marriage, all you will see is her shaking her head as she walks by you with the car keys in her hand.

I hope you're right and wish you good luck.

Ken
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014   #17
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Burpee's Porterhouse F1.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014   #18
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

a "Condo" bargain priced at Chernobyl (52 pound koi with three eyes are included)
Old March 23, 2014   #19
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

A home in a POA or HOA.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014   #20
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Burpee's Porterhouse!!! LOL THAT'S funny Glew!!

I too was a sucker for it!! Don't think i got two tomatoes in two years!!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014   #21
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

I was offered once ocean front property in Kansas for $1000 an acre, but I did not have the money at the time. Guess I missed an operunity of a life time there...
Old March 24, 2014   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Saw this at tractor supply today.
Do people have no shame?
The bag said top soil.
Looked like clay and sand to me.
Worth
IMG_2014032359941.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2014   #23
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

At least its free range!
Old March 25, 2014   #24
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Never buy those flimsy tomato cages from the big box store to hold up your tomatoes. They'll barely hold up a dwarf. A sungold F1 will literally break the welds on them.

PS I actually would never buy one, but I have 4 received as gifts from well meaning, but inexperienced friends.
But they do work ok on peppers.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2014   #25
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A To View Post
Don't buy your pants and underwear at the local flea market and auction. You don't know who's been wearing them.

It could be her:

just asking they rubber?
Old March 25, 2014   #26
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Default I 'll never buy another tomato cage

After seeing how the Florida weave method works.. Although I may still use some of the ones I own for small heirlooms .. I think I will use inexpensive but more efficient 2x2 stakes and twine FOR MY BIG plants.
Old March 26, 2014   #27
Tom A To
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjjohn View Post
just asking they rubber?
Well...I'm not gonna walk up to them and give a squeeze to find out but if I did, I'd get it on camera.

Audios, Tomatoville. Posted my final post and time to move on.
Tom A To is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2014   #28
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
Apparently, those "shrink up hoses" as "Seen On TV" that everyone on this forum that has bought one has complained...
According to Google ads, there's now a class action suit and you can get $ back from the company.

However: I needed a short hose for one of the community gardens that I could carry with me. Hoses really get trashed there, and the hose bibs are odd -- they point up instead of down. (I got an attachment for the hose bib to take care of that.) All of my hoses have come from freecycle or from someone leaving them at the garden in the free area, but my coil hose got a leak (either from being out in the weather, or from someone else using it <grrr>). So I got a 25 ft. "shrink up" hose at Ross for $5 and so far it's working out well. No complaints!
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2014   #29
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

I actually do use those flimsy metal tomato cages. (most of mine are 54", I think? with a few 48" and 42") They're not bad for dwarfs, small determinates, and peppers. They certainly aren't enough on their own for the big indeterminates.

However, since I stupidly bought a holy ton of them one year, some imagination and cheap fixes had to be explored. I connected the end of two rows of them to my metal fence and then firmly attached them to each other with zip ties on three sides. Reenforced that way, they are surprisingly sturdy. They were completely covered with huge plants last year and none of them fell apart. (Although I eventually had to trim the plants back because they were sprawling out of the top and running back down all over the place.)

Not saying that the advice to avoid them and buy something better isn't valid. It is! But just in case anyone out there is as dumb as I was, I'd like to let them know that they might not have completely thrown away all of their hard earned money. Zip ties are magic, people!!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2014   #30
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
I actually do use those flimsy metal tomato cages. (most of mine are 54", I think? with a few 48" and 42") They're not bad for dwarfs, small determinates, and peppers. They certainly aren't enough on their own for the big indeterminates.

However, since I stupidly bought a holy ton of them one year, some imagination and cheap fixes had to be explored. I connected the end of two rows of them to my metal fence and then firmly attached them to each other with zip ties on three sides. Reenforced that way, they are surprisingly sturdy. They were completely covered with huge plants last year and none of them fell apart. (Although I eventually had to trim the plants back because they were sprawling out of the top and running back down all over the place.)

Not saying that the advice to avoid them and buy something better isn't valid. It is! But just in case anyone out there is as dumb as I was, I'd like to let them know that they might not have completely thrown away all of their hard earned money. Zip ties are magic, people!!
Never underestimate human ingenuity!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote