Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old November 5, 2013   #61
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I just read the article you posted above. It's interesting reading. Thanks for posting it.

What I take from the article is that cool temperatures produce the problem earlier than I would of thought. Like much in gardening it's about timing.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2014   #62
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

In the winter, I have prepared 200 yards of new spirals. As this amount was not enough for me (I grow about 60 devices more), I have to do some more hand on the tube in a vise (in the garden).
Vladimír
PS.: One more note: I do not use any clips, spiral safely can carry everything that grows on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0007.JPG (486.0 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0004.JPG (488.8 KB, 216 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2014   #63
OkieDan
Tomatovillian™

You guys put my method to shame. I just lean a cattle panel over the plants and let them grow. I do have to do some tying, but not much.
OkieDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2014   #64
Davezone5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingZ View Post
Is this a permanent installation? Looks very stout. I use overhead cables with strings dropped down on tomato hooks that I make my self. This spiral wire, can you describe it some more. Here is a photo of my set up.

Man, maybe I can find a use for the old clothesline out back yet. Thanks for sharing!
Davezone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2015   #65
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir:

Thank you for pointing out this excellent topic thread that I had not seen before! Your methodology is excellent!

3 questions: one, you say that you stop pruning suckers in August. Does this mean you do not do any more tomato pruning? Is that because you are trying to get a fall crop of tomatoes to set?

Two, do you know the gauge (thickness) of the wiring you are using? I would like to experiment with this myself!

Three, on some of your plants, it appears like you have installed a 4 legged support that seems to be made up of stainless steel legs and has a wire basket a couple of feet off of the ground. What is this and why did you use it?

Thanks!

Dewayne Mater

Three,
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2015   #66
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
Vladimir:

Thank you for pointing out this excellent topic thread that I had not seen before! Your methodology is excellent!

3 questions: one, you say that you stop pruning suckers in August. Does this mean you do not do any more tomato pruning? Is that because you are trying to get a fall crop of tomatoes to set?

Two, do you know the gauge (thickness) of the wiring you are using? I would like to experiment with this myself!

Three, on some of your plants, it appears like you have installed a 4 legged support that seems to be made up of stainless steel legs and has a wire basket a couple of feet off of the ground. What is this and why did you use it?

Thanks!

Dewayne Mater

Three,
Dewayne you can find 12 gauge steel wire at Home depot or Lowes that would be perfect for this.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2015   #67
Rairdog
Tomatovillian™

I always enjoy looking through your thread. Great Job!
Rairdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2015   #68
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

1. In August, my offer tomatoes greater than the demand from family and friends. I'm also lazy, so I'll let the plants grow as they want.
2. Soft wire 1/12“ surface Zn
3. There are cages for determinate tomatoes made of scrap metal (wire fencing and Nidax rails for distributes electrical).
Vladimír
PS .: Just do not know if this is to understand what I wrote.

Old March 21, 2015   #69
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir thank you. I hope to understand all you say and need to clarify one point. When you say 1/12th inch surface Zn, do you mean: metal wire that is about 2.1 millimeters of thickness? Thanks again.

Worth - 12 gauge wire is about 2.8 mm thick (.109 inches thick) and 14 gauge is about 2.1 mm (.083 inches or 1/12th), so Vlad may be using even thinner wire?

DM
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2015   #70
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The hole in the pipe he is putting the wire in looks like 2.5 MM so it would be 14 gauge wire.
14 gauge steel wire is 2.032 MM or about 0.0800 of an inch.
12 gauge steel wire is 2.6797 MM or about 0.1055 of an inch.
The 121/2 gauge steel wire I have is also known as 13 gauge wire.
It is 2.3241 MM or 0.0915 of an inch.
The 2.5 MM hole is about 0.0984252 of an inch.
Any of these wire sises would work you would just have to drill a little larger hole for the 12 gauge wire.
The 14 gauge wire would be a little cheaper.
The pipe is 35 MM which would be about 1 1/4 pipe for us.
Here is the drawing from the first page of the thread.
Worth

Last edited by Worth1; March 21, 2015 at 01:17 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2015   #71
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I never did not measure Diameter of the wire. The diameter of 2 mm is used for stress analysis and refers to the diameter steel core. I measured 2.4 mm (Zn layer about 0.2 mm). The second is the tension wire for fences diameter 2.5 mm (2.9 mm with Zn) is solid, hard and not very pliable. With that, it would not work. Other tensioning wire is 3.15 mm. Of course, I write only about the wires commercially available.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0018.JPG (453.4 KB, 80 views)