Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old April 2, 2012   #16
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRidin View Post
Kath - You might try a bit of lighter fluid on a cotton ball...
Thanks for the tip! kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #17
John3
Tomatovillian™

I used to use these to mark concrete outside so the rain wouldn't wash away the marks. Wal Mart has been dropping a lot of art and craft supplies around here so they don't have them here but you might like these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 413675.jpg (60.1 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by John3; April 12, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #18
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

John

Thats the ones I use. Elsie the cow =Bordens=Elmers

Will not fade or rub off

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #19
John3
Tomatovillian™

ron if I remember correctly they are acrylic base so if you do need to erase the marks rubbing alcohol should do it.
Old April 2, 2012   #20
ljp
Tomatovillian™

Instead of blinds, I cut 650 ml and 3lb margarine tubs into strips. You can make them as wide as you like. I recycle the bottom.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #21
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

I use these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Plan...item231bd31e5a

nice labels

I am still looking for the perfect marker. I often used sharpie permanent but had some fading to the point of not being able to read them anymore. Not a major problem for me because really I only use them for the plants in pots before I plant out.

Last edited by Granite26; April 3, 2012 at 12:44 AM. Reason: addition
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2012   #22
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Hog and cattle tag markers work well, but they're expensive. Available at Farmtek.
I got a pair of "Garden Markers" at Johnny's Selected Seeds. Look good so far. I've been disappointed in permanent markers, pencil, grease pencils, ball point pen, and "archival" permanent pens. This is my last step before using only embossed aluminum strips.

Last edited by janezee; April 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2012   #23
Skaggydog
Tomatovillian™

Last edited by Skaggydog; April 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM. Reason: not nice
Skaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2012   #24
roherb
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
The other day my wife brought home some plant labels from Lowe's. As I was looking at them, I got an idea on how to make them cheap. Last year my wife redecorated one of the bedrooms and we changed what we had on the windows. She replaced the blinds with curtains. Being one of those people who have a hard time throwing out something that is still in good condition, I remembered that I had put the blinds that she didn't want in the cellar. I went and got the old blinds and noticed that they were very similar in material as the Burpee plant labels that my wife bought me. So I traced the outline of the Burpee label onto the old blind and cut one out. They look and work just like the one's she bought at the store. Here's a picture of what I did to make my labels out of the blinds. Simply trace the outline and cut them out with a pair of scissors. I could get 7 plant labels from one level of the blinds. My wife was able to make me 60 labels in about 20 minutes. If you have an old pair of blinds that are destined for the garbage, this is an opportunity to make something useful for your gardening needs. These blinds are aprox. 1 1/4" wide.
DP
Love it! What a great idea. I once used the plastic take out containers you get from Chinese take-out, by cutting them up. Your method seems much easier.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7099/7...4bb512b7_m.jpg
roherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2012   #25
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Mini-blinds cut to the desired length and marked with a Sharpie....works great!
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #26
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

To remove permanent markings from your cut up blinds (when soap and water=Joy, naphtha=lighter fluid or alcohol=vodka... does not work) you can use acetone=nail-polish remover; on a cotton ball or round. Just a quick wipe will do it. But, make sure that you don't use up all of her nail polish remover...or his vodka, or maybe it's her vodka and his nail-polish remover whatever.
Charlie

Last edited by Got Worms?; April 9, 2012 at 12:48 PM. Reason: My pour spelling
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2012   #27
spacetogrow
Tomatovillian™

I'm using mini-blinds with Sharpie marker, also. They can be cut to any size I want - but do get floppy when they're too long.

Last year in the garden, I used Sharpie marker inside plastic spoons that were set to face north. They stayed nicely legible all season. I tucked them in pretty close to the base of the plants to help keep them out of the sun and less likely to get knocked around. Later in the season, I'd have to fish around under the plants if I wanted to find them, but they were in place and legible on the few occasions when I needed to read them.
spacetogrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2012   #28
easttx_hippie
Tomatovillian™

Default cleaning grease pencil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
I used grease pencil for the first time last year and it stayed on all season- now if I could just figure out how to get it off of the plastic markers that have a bit of a rougher surface! I also heard that the industrial permanent markers work, too.
I've always used a damp rag on the tip of my finger then dipped into ashes. It cleans the grease pencil without hazardous fumes.
easttx_hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2012   #29
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

I use the back of vinyl flooring which is brigh white on the back! The heavier vinyl is fairly stiff! Its easy to write on because its a pressedwhite papper. What I like best is diy cup sticks which are very cheap at the craft stores like a 100 for a dollar! Another item that works is the wood cloths pins that have a spring in them. I clip it to the contaner and simply write on it! Verticle blindswork great and are long and can b cut into all sizes!
Old April 12, 2012   #30
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobberman View Post
wood cloths pins that have a spring in them. I clip it to the contaner and simply write on it!
That's cool hadn't thought about that. I guess you could lightly sand the names off at end of season and use them for the next year.