Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old July 18, 2011   #31
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buk View Post
I printed the names on 8-1/2 X 11 paper with a regular inkjet printer, cut the names out with scissors, laminated them with clear tape (2" wide like you tape boxes with before mailing/shipping), trimmed the tape a half inch or so from the edge of the label, and attached them to wood clothespins with thumbtacks. Clip them to the top of the post or top of cages. Works fine................

LOVE this idea!!
Old July 18, 2011   #32
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm View Post
I use pieces of cut-up milk jug for labels.
I use a paper punch for the hole and a twist-tie for securing.

~Dig
I've found a grease pen works better than a sharpie, lasts longer in the sun.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2011   #33
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm View Post
The paint markers that are used on plastic livestock ear tags don't fade. They're a bit pricey, but one goes a long way.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livesto...ar-tag-2260020

~Dig
What a great idea! Next time I order something from the vet supply store I'm going to buy some. The ear tag to go with it as a label would be great, too. Could just zip tie it to the cage!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2011   #34
hardwaterbob
Tomatovillian™

Default labels easy and cheap

From the dollar store buy a plastic ventician blind about 3 $.
Take this apart using a scissors. Cut each long piece into 6 inch strips.
Next buy from menards a roll of clear tape and some tie wraps around 5$ for both items. Next using your computer print out your tomato labels one or two of each.
Place a printed label on a 6 in strip then wrap the strip with a piece of clear plastic tape. Now punch a whole in the strip using a scissors and then tie wrap the label to your container and your post. You should get several hundred labels to use.

Bob
hardwaterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2011   #35
barryla61
Tomatovillian™

Survey Ribbon.
About $2 for 300 ft roll
Mark with a Sharpie and tie to cage

http://www.tapebrothers.com/Orange-F...00-p/ftor1.htm
barryla61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2011   #36
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

simply draw a map
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2011   #37
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
simply draw a map
This is something that I always do in addition to marking individual plants just in case something happens to the labels, but with so many plants it would make me crazy not to know which one is which when I'm in the midst of them and I don't have the map with me.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2011   #38
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I did the map also. But when I'm out there looking at the plants, I do want to be able to check who I'm looking at.

This year, the I did punch holes in the plant labels I had (purchased plant labels written on with a Sharpie) and just tied them to the posts with some string. Working well so far.
Old July 23, 2011   #39
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
i found that anything i wrote with was faded by the sun regardless of what it was. i use a map and keep 1 copy in the house and 1 copy in the garage. after a couple of weeks i sorta know the plants by location in the garden but once they start to produce fruit i know by the shapes and colors but then i just grow 8 or 9 plants.

tom
That's how I do it, but I have a lot more plants and usually have a lot of map reading until the fruits start coming.
Old July 23, 2011   #40
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I haven't had a problem with sun yet. But I could just hang the tags I have on the stakes, and turn the printing towards the stake (keeping the sun off it). Twist it to look at it when I want to, then turn it back.
Old August 30, 2012   #41
Sundrops
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I have been using that rubbery stretchy surveyors tape that comes in bright colors. I use pink, neon yellow or orange. I just hold the roll and pull off enough to tie with and write on the roll the variety and the date set out then cut or tear off that piece and tie it to something at eye level. I use a sharpie marker and it usually fades some by the end of the season but if the plant lasts long enough I can just make another and tie it on to replace the faded one. It does look a little like a used car lot with all the little ribbons of tape blowing in the wind. The thing I like the most is the ease of doing this and the cost which is next to nothing. Below is a picture of my trellis with markers tied on.

If you buy a Sharpie marker that is labeled "Industrial" it won't fade. I have been doing this for years. the regular sharpies fade but the industrial ones won't.
Sundrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2012   #42
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I came across these tags today while searching for other items.

100 tags for $15.96 but this might be a good solution. You just write on the tags and it impresses the metal and stays forever. I don't know if these would rust but you wouldn't have a problem with the ink fading. You can also nail or staple the tag to something for permament placement.

http://www.growersupply.com/meimta.html

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2012   #43
CapnChkn
Tomatovillian™

Well, this thread is fairly old, but I simply have to reply. It seems the OP is concerned with the ease of reading the labels, needing to get them at the right height. Sun fading inks is a big problem.

I use pieces of Aluminum cans, cut with rounded edges, and a hole punched with a paper punch. I can put the variety, date I set them, or other information into the soft metal by scribing with a rounded metal point. I actually use a 60D nail wrapped in twine with the point filed smooth and coming to a dull point.

Since I have dozens of old electric fence posts, I use them as stakes. They're around 5/16" thick and 3 feet long. Using the old electric wire, I wrap the wire, split ring fashion, around the end of the post and again to hang freely. Then it's a simple process to slip the punched hole through the free spiral.

Stake in front of some lettuce I have under plastic

detail of the fastening.
CapnChkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2012   #44
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I cant believe you guys dont care enough about your tomato plants to not have their names memorized and know where they are at all times.

Do you put ear tags in your children's ears?
Do you write their names on them with a sharpie or grease pencil?
Do you have to have a map of your place to know where everything and everyone is at?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2012   #45
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I cant believe you guys dont care enough about your tomato plants to not have their names memorized and know where they are at all times.

Worth

Ironically Worth, that is exactly how i do it now. All in my memory. But next year since I am expanding and trying several varieties to see what could grow well for market, these kinds of advises are well appreciated.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote