Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old May 5, 2011   #31
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Tuk50 you want to come over and finish putting together my cages for me? (just kidding) I had shoulder surgery in January and man it is a pain trying to twist those wires.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2011   #32
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Ha Ha! I just finished making 16 more last week and I may need the name or your Doc..... LOL! My grandson helped me with the first few then just me and the dog... LOL.
I did invest in in one of those Harbor Freight small bolt cutters for 10bucks best investment this week....
Old May 6, 2011   #33
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

Bolt cutters make it a lot easier. I bought my first ones about 30 yrs ago after my 1st set of cages. You CAN do it with side cutters, but it is tough.
Old May 6, 2011   #34
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Yeah! You are right... its like butter.. I hadn't realized how much easier till after I used them. The whole problem with shaping CRW is the thickness of the wire, but that is what makes them so good for cages.
Old May 6, 2011   #35
cushman350
Tomatovillian™

The bend needs to be spread over a radius like a tubing bender. The pinch of just plain bending is what breaks the steel. Year after year will fatigue and break anyway. I have also used zip ties, try to find the UV protected ones.

An angle grinder with a cutting disc is quick and easy to cut the steel. Cheap at harbor freight.

Last edited by cushman350; May 6, 2011 at 12:04 PM.
cushman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2011   #36
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

what's everyone's vote on sizes for CRW cages? I'm seeing everything from 9-13 squares, including some that do 9, 10 and 11, for ease of storage.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011   #37
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Just wrap it around a 55 gallon drum
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011   #38
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

I've used 10, 11, 12, 14. It doesn't matter too much, some tomatoes need more space. Most of mine are 10, which gives about an 17" diameter, but lately I have made a lot more @ 12, which gives about 22" diameter. I have some smaller, made from ends or remainder of sheets, that I use for bean towers or gourds, cucumbers, whatever you need or want to keep off the ground.
Tom
Old May 11, 2011   #39
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

I too have different sizes and tend to like the 11 or 12 squares..... on taller 5' and 6' I still make them a bit larger for stability, but the 3' and 4' ones can be narrower to crowd in smaller varieties, just don't set them without some type of anchor system. they also make good row cover domes and this year I used some to make an arbor to run gourds onto.
Old May 11, 2011   #40
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

tuk50 said: "just don't set them without some type of anchor system"

Some anchor every one. I don't anchor any, at least initially. If some get blown over then I use a 6' stake driven next to the cage opposite the direction it fell and attach it with a couple of ties. They don't go down again. I have never suffered much damage from the cages falling, usually just a couple of fruit fall off, if that. Most of the branches are inside the cage and don't get damaged.
I had another idea for securing the cages I haven't tried as yet.
I think you could use tent pegs on the bottom rungs of the cage to hold it. Think this would work?? It seems to me it would be a lot easier. Pros, cons???

Tom
Old May 11, 2011   #41
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

one of the threads here brought up tent pegs, I have ordered some, waiting on them to arrive.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011   #42
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

I haven't read anything about tent pegs before... sounds like a good idea... as long as they are long enough..
We just built a new home 2years ago and had about half a bundle of 3/8in x 20ft rebar left over so thats what I used by setting the cages then running a 20ft length through all of the row at once and bending a piece of rebar to use as staples. Wind is a problem here and beats my garden up .. we live at the base of a mountain range and the wind is always blowing.. LOL.. ALWAYS...
Old May 14, 2011   #43
frankkj
Tomatovillian™

When I used to tie cages, I drove a 6' T-post on each end of a row and ran a taught piece of bailing wire through the row about 4' high. They might give a little in a strong wind, but they wouldn't blow over.

Not to hijack the thread. but have a question for tuk50. What is the horizontal CRW for above you plants? Would be a perfect place to grow mirliton.

Frank
Old May 14, 2011   #44
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Just messin around as they say! I had some odd pieces of crw left over and decided to make an arbor.... each of the 4 posts has planted beside it Luffa, Birdhouse gourd, Long handled gourd and Armenian cucumber, I thought at least something would grow over it and make a shade. I've now got a bird bath setting out there and a few more hanging baskets... we always have a party on July 4, and I try to do something different each year for that date.

Your system works good... I have used poly cord the same way before and put a turnbuckle on each row to keep the tension, but had so much rebar left over that I've started doing it at the bottom.
Old March 8, 2012   #45
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Is this what I am supposed to buy to make these cages?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Thanks guys, I have never made them before. So, I really do not know if this is what I would use.
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote