Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old November 24, 2007   #31
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

I like this method the best. Just spend the winter folding newspaper pots (origami method) and they can be stored flat, are durable, since they are square they fit in a flat better than round pots, and are attractive.

http://www.wizer.co.uk/?p=29

LoreD
Old December 2, 2007   #32
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I ordered a case of cowpots to try them-270 to a case-so about .40 a pot.
Old December 3, 2007   #33
FarmerCathy
Tomatovillian™

Let me know how you like the cow pots.
FarmerCathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2007   #34
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking back to when we were little my Mom and Dad (granolas even then) they would make me bring Milk boxes home from school so they could use them to start seeds. I am thinking you could do the same and poke holes in them. It would be a little work but I am sure if you went to a school you could pick some up and start cleaning them out for Spring. I use my big Organic tall milk containers for my tomatoes when they get too tall and they can't go outside. It builds a long root to plant but it is better then them falling over.
I think I would buy a plant in a recycled container. In fact I would probably be more apt to do so.
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2007   #35
tomatoaddict

I plan on using the cowpots this year. They sound awesome
Old December 8, 2007   #36
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

I have been recycling these 3" containers. They are stacking up fast.
Old December 16, 2007   #37
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

I started using the newspaper pots in two different size last year, one about 3cm in diameter, the other 8cm.
I use a stainless steel pipe for the smaller ones (used to be the base of a solar gardenlamp that the dog ran into pieces), and a diy version of the wooden one you can buy as some posts above already suggested - looks impressive in your sowing corner.
You can make them as high or a shallow as your projects need (sowing tomatoes vs roottraining peas). The 8cm pots fit perfectly together in a vegetable container I use - that way I can water them from the bottom in one batch (30 something, the container goes into a larger container containing water for not too long) - so I don't really have to handle them individually that often.
The pots remain their strength longer than they need (with about 2 to 3 'folds' around the potmaker), just don't handle them when they are soaking wet.

Until now I didn't find it necessary to glue them in any way, when you 'fold and compact' the base somewhat (with the potmaker that's the way to finish the pot - that's why it has a hollow base of upto a centimeter) and you fill them with your soil they are as sturdy as any other pot.

They can get a bit messy after sometime; different kinds of fungae make interresting patterns on the outside of the pot, but non of my plants died unexpectately nor showed any disease through the season because of it.

Roots are in no way bound to the pot, they just grow through the pots, so you see immediately when they could use a bigger pot. You could transplant them with the newspaper in place, but I always removed the paper - when the paper is not too dry you can remove it without damaging any of the outbroken tiny roots.
That paper can you on the compostheap of course, it is already well on its way to be broken down.

I really cannot think of one disadvantage (in Belgium they still spam us with local newspapers for free so we do have plenty of them), once you get the technique in your fingers it is a matter of seconds to roll another. One minor disadvantage (if I really have to) is that your fingers can get a bit black from the inc after an evening of rolling in front of the television. Better than rolling sigarets or cleaning all those plastics pots (which you can get quite cheap from local growers if you want because they don't seem to like to clean them either).

It could be that the 8cm pots are one size too little when you want to sell them to customers, but they do make quite an impression.

Don't write the names on the newspaper. While it does seem a jolly ecofriendly way to lable your plants you could get some disappointment later ;-)

Try them, you will be pleasantly amazed....

Peter

PS : I am in no way linked to a company who sells these potmakers (as I said 'I' - and a friendly pixie I know who is far more handy andy than me, made my own version of it); but I like this technique so much... If you know someone who is keen on being green/eco/sustainable and growing his own this really is a (cheap) present that he or she will thank you for (although you might get a 'what the flubber is this?' as an initial response;-) so select that person with great care ;-).
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2008   #38
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post
I'm trying to find something to sell my tomato seedlings in for next year, but not in plastic. I like the Coco pots, but they are kind of expensive at $0.38/4" pot. Any ideas? Peat is not a sustainable product so I don't want to use that either.
Thanks, Cathy
Novosel has Jiffy pots in various sizes on sale right now. The 4 inch pot is $.17 a copy.
http://www.novoselenterprises.com/products/jiffy.asp
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2008   #39
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

don't like the jiffy's, too expensive (although maybe I have to recalculate that theorie some day since special sowing ground is not cheap either). However the smallest sice isn't the problem, you could do the germination of all your seeds on a plate sort of speak - it is the bigger pots that matter the most to me. I tried the origami pots but found that technique quite a hasstle, no comparison with the few seconds per pot with the pottertool.
I was preparing the propagator a few days ago for the new season and found a few small paperpots with soil - that is, I found soil in the shape of the pots since the paper was gone; how more environmentally safe can a pot be ;-)
Old January 6, 2008   #40
FarmerCathy
Tomatovillian™

I thought jiffy pots were peat. If so, it's not environmentally sustainable. What we use can't be replaced. I think I'm going to go with newspaper pots this year and maybe cowpots next year. Depends on how many I sell this year.
Old January 13, 2008   #41
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Don't know if this has been posted before:

http://www.ehow.com/how_1745_create-seed-starting.html

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2008   #42
FarmerCathy
Tomatovillian™

That's another good way of doing it. Thanks.
Old January 15, 2008   #43
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

that's indeed a nice video on the newspaper pot technique - it is just about getting a round object to roll the paper around and than a way to compress the base. I use far less newspaper though. I cut strips of paper as wide as the height of the pot + somwewhat more than the radius of the pot, with a length of about three times the circumference (I don't actually cut the length since the newspaper is about the right size). Initially this seems very flimsy (only two to three sheets of paper on some parts of the rolls, but once it gets filled with moist soil it becomes as sturdy as any other pot. So in my opinions she is using far too much newspaper for the pot, Willi from the video has already 8 sheets of paper (folded) before she starts rolling. Really, try it out, take any round object, fold newspaper three times around it, fold the 'excess' in and compress and fill it up with soil you will be amazed. The pots can become fragile when they are too wet but you shouldn't A) let them become too wet and B) handle them when they are wet.
In my case they sit in a plastic flat/carrier with a perforated base, so I can move the flat without handling the pots, let them bottomsoak water in a bigger container (all-in-one go) without breaking the pots. For me it is just the ideal way to go.
If you are unhappy or uncomfortable add another layer but it isn't necessary...