Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 3, 2020   #1
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Default Chipmunks in my garden

This is new as I never had problems before but I notice they have holes everywhere,How can I get them to move without killing them as a last resort?

Last edited by cjp1953; June 3, 2020 at 09:22 PM.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2020   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Get a couple of miniature dachshunds and they will terrify them and try to catch them constantly. They are rabid rodent hunters although they rarely catch one they will drive most of them away. We have five of them and though they aren't too good at keeping squirrels away they sure are a bane to the chipmunks in the area.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2020   #3
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

We had a mini doxie that lived to 18 years when we had our kids.I really don't want another.Both daughters have them now.
Old June 3, 2020   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

They are incredibly bad here this year as well and we have traps out trying to make a dent in the population before garden plants start setting anything.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2020   #5
taboule
Tomatovillian™

We have tons of them here too this year, they gather and feast around the bird feeders. They also dug into many plants still in pots that are hardening on the porch. As i wrote in another thread, pests are early and numerous this year.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2020   #6
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Default Try This Fur Bomb

Not sure if it will work for chipmunks, but...I have used this for the last several years with pretty good success to keep squirrels off the bird feeders.

Brush your or someone else's pet dog or cat until you have a ball of pet fur the size of a baseball. Cut the foot out of some nylon pantyhose (or footie or stocking) about 8" long, wad the fur up and insert into the foot of the pantyhose, rough it up to release the oils in the fur, tie a knot so there is some "leg" left on the stocking. Place these in the garden around the chipmunk holes. If they are like the squirrels, the scent of a predator will deter them from activity.

Now quit laughing and try a solution that MAY work. Friends always ask "What is that hanging from your bird feeder?", my response: predator fur bundle.

Please post your results and again quit laughing...
MuddyBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2020   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

When the squirrel population is too high and they head for my garden the first thing I do is get some blood meal and sprinkle it around and on their favorite target plants until I can thin out the worst offenders. It really repels them until it rains heavily then it needs to be reapplied. I am not sure how effective it is on chipmunks but they seem far less bold than squirrels so I assume it would work even better with them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2020   #8
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I may have scared the chipmunks away.I hung tin foil pie pans on my tomato cages.Between the noise and light reflection off of them I have not seen any digging or signs of them in the garden.I see them around the neighbors rock wall now as that's were they came from to begin with.
Old June 8, 2020   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

we got a monster kitten last year and he loves to hunt for chipmunks. he's a good boy.
Old June 8, 2020   #10
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
we got a monster kitten last year and he loves to hunt for chipmunks. he's a good boy.
LOL,I'm allergic to cats I just watered my garden and the pie pans are working.The way it reflects sun and noise is for now working.