Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 10, 2014   #11
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Some of you know I am trying to breed a paste/processing tomato with high beta-carotene. The resulting tomato (if I succeed) will be orange (since there are several pathways to orange tomatoes, I'm only breeding red/pink tomatoes to high beta tomatoes).

The parents are the following:
Paste tomatoes:
Opalka*, Shannon, Heidi

High beta tomatoes:
97L97, CaroRich, Jaune Flamee

**Goals: To breed a high beta delicious processing/paste tomato that is also good for fresh eating

Plan:
All paste types crossed w/ each of the high betas
and the reciprocal cross of each high beta w/ each paste type

what has seemed to take thus far (I have a number of crosses that I'm still waiting to see if they're a 'take'):

Opalka x Jaune Flamee:
Cross_1_OpXJF.jpg

Shannon x 97L97:
Cross_2_Shx97L.jpg

CaroRich x Opalka:
Cross_3_CRxOP.jpg

Jaune Flamee X Shannon
Cross_4_JFxSh.jpg

Jaune Flamee x Opalka:
Cross_5_JFxOP.jpg

My concern now of course is that now that I've counted my chickens before they've hatched that an animal or something else will prevent me from collecting these before they ripen.

*on this forum someone said that Opalka was too 'wet' to be a good paste tomato which is the first I've heard that. Elsewhere, I've heard the opinion ventured that they are just as happy to use beefsteak types as their sauce base.

**Note: I have a secondary goal of breeding a high crimson paste variety which this year I have Tasti-Lee F3.

Last edited by crmauch; July 10, 2014 at 02:15 AM.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote